Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm I'm with youtuber MistaireFusion on Cell Arc Piccolo. He's basically just Kami wearing a Piccolo suit except he still likes Gohan for some reason.
Because Piccolo and Kami are one being.
Yeah. They literally refuse into one being, with Piccolo absorbing Kami into him. Why WOULDN'T Kami's personality influence Piccolo's?
As for him liking Gohan, what? Why wouldn't he still like Gohan? He trained him for a year & fought beside him. I'm not getting that complaint.
More than that, they are always literally one person, even before they fused back into one being. Piccolo is the embodiment of Kami's evil. Piccolo and Kami share a link. If one dies, the other dies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 pm

I think it's more like they are two beings who used to be one, instead of them being the same. That's also why they are linked.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 pm I think it's more like they are two beings who used to be one, instead of them being the same. That's also why they are linked.
I didn't say they're the same. I said they are one.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm I'm with youtuber MistaireFusion on Cell Arc Piccolo. He's basically just Kami wearing a Piccolo suit except he still likes Gohan for some reason.
Because Piccolo and Kami are one being.
Yeah. They literally refuse into one being, with Piccolo absorbing Kami into him. Why WOULDN'T Kami's personality influence Piccolo's?
As for him liking Gohan, what? Why wouldn't he still like Gohan? He trained him for a year & fought beside him. I'm not getting that complaint.
What aspects of Piccolo's mannerisms or personality are still prominent during the Buu Arc?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:45 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm Because Piccolo and Kami are one being.
What aspects of Piccolo's mannerisms or personality are still prominent during the Buu Arc?
Are they there in the Cell arc? It's less that Kami is wearing Piccolo as a body condom and more that Piccolo has changed over the course of the story.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 pm I think it's more like they are two beings who used to be one, instead of them being the same. That's also why they are linked.
That's what I mean. I don't think that they were one person before they reunited. They share the link because they were one person originally and then split.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:42 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 pm What aspects of Piccolo's mannerisms or personality are still prominent during the Buu Arc?
What aspects of his personality aren't? Piccolo is still a fighter, still a strategist, still wanting to overcome great odds to himself, etc. However, if he's missing something, like his evil tendencies, he literally changed from the start of the Saiyan Saga. He changed into more of a mentor when he took on Gohan as an apprentice to the point where he sacrificed himself to save him from Nappa's attack. His change is mostly gradual over time in-universe. Fusing with Nail, then Kami, just made him more different than how he was at the end of the first anime. Even then, Kami acknowledged that Piccolo was different than the being that separated from him who became his predecessor, Demon King Piccolo. However, at his core, he's still Piccolo. He just changed over time through different means. But he's still mostly the same.

As for his mannerisms, what? He keeps his mannerisms as the series goes along. He looks the same, walks the same, talks the same, etc. I don't understand how his mannerisms changed. If he took on others from Nail or Kami, that only makes sense, but your mannerisms don't change too much over time once they're set.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm I think the only thing Sabat’s Vegeta had going for him is nostalgia/familiarity. If someone else had been voicing Vegeta for years and then Sabat came out with his Vegeta circa Kai/Super I don’t think it would be well received it would be “wtf why does Vegeta sound like he’s about to hack up a lung from smoking too many cigarettes?”
yeah that's the thing, even if i don't care about a lot of the funi voice cast, at least a lot of them have pretty much come into their roles to the point where, even if i don't like them (schemmel being the biggest example, the guy just bothers me), their pretty close to matching the character, but sabat's vegeta just has never felt right to me. it's more or less only his vegeta as well, i think his piccolo is pretty solid.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm I think the only thing Sabat’s Vegeta had going for him is nostalgia/familiarity. If someone else had been voicing Vegeta for years and then Sabat came out with his Vegeta circa Kai/Super I don’t think it would be well received it would be “wtf why does Vegeta sound like he’s about to hack up a lung from smoking too many cigarettes?”
I mean, have you never seen someone who has SUPER nostalgia for Brian Drummond's Vegeta voice? Now, Brian's not even remotely a bad fit for him, nor was the voice he used, but I don't think he's the perfect fit either. Personally, I think you're wrong about Sabat's Vegeta nowadays. It's really good, especially the more regal accent he gives him & made him less gruff for a more smooth listening experience. I agree that there could probably be someone better, but I don't mind Sabat's Vegeta.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 am Yeah that's the thing, even if i don't care about a lot of the funi voice cast, at least a lot of them have pretty much come into their roles to the point where, even if i don't like them (schemmel being the biggest example, the guy just bothers me), they're pretty close to matching the characters, but Sabat's Vegeta just has never felt right to me. it's more or less only his Vegeta as well, i think his piccolo is pretty solid.
Schemmel is pretty much a big child & not in a good way. If you check my sig, he blocked me all because he misunderstood something I said when I tagged him in a conversation on Twitter & deleted his replies to me (I saved screenshots, though). Like, who DOES that? I point out he misunderstood what I said, then asked him for clarification on some things & he blocked me. Maybe it was how I said what I said, but meh. He just has a lot of childish tendencies that annoy me other than that too, like getting Peter Kelamis uninvited from Kamehacon 2018 all because he also voiced Goku in the Ocean dub & he didn't want people mistaking him for you? What is your damage, bud? That seems like a tantrum to me. Could've just explained that to Peter, but NO. He HAD to get him uninvited. What a child. Peter didn't even do anything to him.
His attachment to the role, which he's been hypocritical/inconsistent about how meaningful it's been to him, also has prevented him from enjoying DBZ Abridged. Which, thoughts on that series aside, if you can't enjoy a parody because you play the canon version of a character in the official version of a series, I think that's a problem if the parody isn't shallow or just bad.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:56 am

Like I've said before, Sabat is at his best when he's not exaggerating his voice. I'd keep his Piccolo, and maybe give Vegeta and Yamcha to someone else. And I disagree about him being not a very good voice actor. The only people from the Funi cast that aren't very good actors are probably Jeremy Inman, Phil Parsons, Mark Britten and Linda Young. I could say John Burgmeier too, but he's decent I guess even if he doesn't have a particularly distinct voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:06 am
I mean, have you never seen someone who has SUPER nostalgia for Brian Drummond's Vegeta voice? Now, Brian's not even remotely a bad fit for him, nor was the voice he used, but I don't think he's the perfect fit either. Personally, I think you're wrong about Sabat's Vegeta nowadays. It's really good, especially the more regal accent he gives him & made him less gruff for a more smooth listening experience. I agree that there could probably be someone better, but I don't mind Sabat's Vegeta.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 am Yeah that's the thing, even if i don't care about a lot of the funi voice cast, at least a lot of them have pretty much come into their roles to the point where, even if i don't like them (schemmel being the biggest example, the guy just bothers me), they're pretty close to matching the characters, but Sabat's Vegeta just has never felt right to me. it's more or less only his Vegeta as well, i think his piccolo is pretty solid.
Schemmel is pretty much a big child & not in a good way. If you check my sig, he blocked me all because he misunderstood something I said when I tagged him in a conversation on Twitter & deleted his replies to me (I saved screenshots, though). Like, who DOES that? I point out he misunderstood what I said, then asked him for clarification on some things & he blocked me. Maybe it was how I said what I said, but meh. He just has a lot of childish tendencies that annoy me other than that too, like getting Peter Kelamis uninvited from Kamehacon 2018 all because he also voiced Goku in the Ocean dub & he didn't want people mistaking him for you? What is your damage, bud? That seems like a tantrum to me. Could've just explained that to Peter, but NO. He HAD to get him uninvited. What a child. Peter didn't even do anything to him.
His attachment to the role, which he's been hypocritical/inconsistent about how meaningful it's been to him, also has prevented him from enjoying DBZ Abridged. Which, thoughts on that series aside, if you can't enjoy a parody because you play the canon version of a character in the official version of a series, I think that's a problem if the parody isn't shallow or just bad.
Did he think you were ganging up on him or something? That's a really weird response to a question and especially the thing over the con and allegedly having Kelamis barred from it. I don't get what would possess him to go to such extremes because it's not like he has been the one and only voice of adult Goku the entire time that the series has been dubbed, with Ian Corlett and Peter (and Kirby Morrow also) portraying the character over the course of Ocean's time with both the 53 edited dub episodes of Z, the dubs of Z movies 1-3 and a portion of the Westwood dub. That to me suggests Sean is jealously possessive over the role to the point of going over the top about it and looking petty while doing so, and mind you from what i've seen having never personally met him he seems from quite a few accounts like a pretty chill guy most times though has had spurts of weirdness and the above is notable of that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 am

Do we have information that it was Schemmel who kicked Kelamis out of the con yet?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 am Do we have information that it was Schemmel who kicked Kelamis out of the con yet?
I don't know if it's been officially verified he was behind that, at least i don't think unless there's something i missed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:41 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 pm
That's what I mean. I don't think that they were one person before they reunited. They share the link because they were one person originally and then split.
I still stand by it. They share a link because they are one person split in half. There's a whole f-ed up trinity thing going on that's really interesting.

Here's an unpopular opinion - Sabat's rasp as Vegeta is just fine. Rasp is fine and isn't a sign of bad acting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 am

Sure, it's not a sign of bad acting, but even then Sabat's gravel for Piccolo and Vegeta back then hindered his performances. Once he toned the gravel down, he was far better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 am Sure, it's not a sign of bad acting, but even then Sabat's gravel for Piccolo and Vegeta back then hindered his performances. Once he toned the gravel down, he was far better.
I think it's mostly a case of correlation, not causation. Toning down the gravel helped with his Piccolo a lot, but it works for Vegeta. It helps make him sound distinct. Mostly, Sabat's issues were the lack of experience, being forced to sound like another actor, and god awful scripts.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 am Did he think you were ganging up on him or something? That's a really weird response to a question and especially the thing over the con and allegedly having Kelamis barred from it. I don't get what would possess him to go to such extremes because it's not like he has been the one and only voice of adult Goku the entire time that the series has been dubbed, with Ian Corlett and Peter (and Kirby Morrow also) portraying the character over the course of Ocean's time with both the 53 edited dub episodes of Z, the dubs of Z movies 1-3 and a portion of the Westwood dub. That to me suggests Sean is jealously possessive over the role to the point of going over the top about it and looking petty while doing so, and mind you from what i've seen having never personally met him he seems from quite a few accounts like a pretty chill guy most times though has had spurts of weirdness and the above is notable of that.
I ascribe the blocking to him being either annoyed, or him being too proud as to face that he fact that he misunderstood what I was saying. He literally initially responded to what I was saying with his resume on what products he played adult Goku in. The conversation was about the dubs &, I think, redubbing Z. I pointed out that Sean didn't rerecord his earliest recordings for Goku in the Z dub like several other actors (which is true) & Sean took that to mean I was saying he didn't dub it at all for some reason. My wording literally said "redub," so I don't know how he could've been confused by it.
Yeah, I don't understand why he's such a compulsive, protective asshole when it comes to some of the stupid shit he does. My theory, especially when you take how he speaks in his interview with Geekdom101 into account, is that his mind works at 100 miles an hour & he's also a motor mouth as a result. He acts most of the time without thinking, or he thinks too hard about something & doesn't think to ask other people about things before doing something, which is what I think happened here, since Peter later got re-invited presumably after they talked things out. Wonder bow THAT conversation went.
Yeah, he's not the only Goku voice actor. He holds Masako Nozawa in such high regard that, around her at a con, he didn't consider himself really a Goku, even when she clearly does. Her body language, tone of voice, & what not clearly showed that she likes him & also considers him a Goku, but he doesn't in her presence, yet he can't accept that there were 3 other English Gokus (several more if we count the Blue Water & AB Groupe dubs)? What? In fact, they were better actors than him for the longest time, so I don't know where his elitism or ego come from, as well as his hypocrisy. Like, Chris Sabat holds a good amount of respect for Brian Drummond, so it's weird to me that Sean doesn't hold any respect for Peter Kelamis apparently.
I've gotten the same vibe most of the time, though. He's all for answering questions like when I asked him if Vegetto was still voiced like he was for the longest time or if he was voiced like in the Ocean dub, since, I have no idea why, but some people in the Kai: The Final Chapters dub thread thought that was going to be like the Ocean dub based on no evidence I saw & Sean answered pretty quickly & concisely. So, I don't know why he's randomly an asshole sometimes either.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 am Do we have information that it was Schemmel who kicked Kelamis out of the con yet?
Peter alluded to it in his Tweeted statement announcing he was uninvited by saying he at least pronounced "Kaioken" right, which was a BIT of a petty thing & shows that he doesn't pay attention to the newer dubs since, when Kai was dubbed, they switched the pronunciation back to its proper one & have kept it ever since. Then, Sean said in the Part 2 video of his interview with Geekdom101 that he doesn't like taking credit for other people's work. He specifically said that, at early cons I think, when kids would have him sign DVDs, they'd sometimes be of the earlier Ocean dubbed versions of the earlier episodes they didn't do at the time & he'd ask them if they really wanted him to sign it when he'd explain that he wasn't in them. He also said he'd prefer other people not take credit for his work either. So, it seems, he thought that Peter would have "Goku" at his booth as his stated roles, would take credit for his work, rather than explain to people that he only did the Ocean dub stuff (the entire reason he was most likely invited), & be on his way. And, rather than call him to make sure that wasn't the case, Sean just had him uninvited. Sean's a petty bitch.
To me, it seems to be true unless stated otherwise by one of these guys, or the staff at Kamehacon who handle the invites, otherwise due to these things.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm

It's kinda dumb to pretend that the hate for Yamcha is good natured. Most people who've watched DBZ absolutely loathed the character and were elated when Bulma was paired with Vegeta. While many of the manga readers have a soft spot for him, and long time fans of the series appreciate his eternal loser status, most fans (that is, most people who have watched and enjoyed DBZ) think every second he spent on screen was a complete waste.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:08 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm It's kinda dumb to pretend that the hate for Yamcha is good natured. Most people who've watched DBZ absolutely loathed the character and were elated when Bulma was paired with Vegeta. While many of the manga readers have a soft spot for him, and long time fans of the series appreciate his eternal loser status, most fans (that is, most people who have watched and enjoyed DBZ) think every second he spent on screen was a complete waste.

I genuinely don’t remember anyone giving a flying fuck about Yamcha one way or the other pre-Dragon Ball Z abridged. Krillin was the go to butt monkey (not hate just hah what a fucking weakling kind of thing) I feel like Yamcha, Tenshinhan , and Chaozu barely registered with most people especially from the “Only Z matters” crowd.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:08 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm It's kinda dumb to pretend that the hate for Yamcha is good natured. Most people who've watched DBZ absolutely loathed the character and were elated when Bulma was paired with Vegeta. While many of the manga readers have a soft spot for him, and long time fans of the series appreciate his eternal loser status, most fans (that is, most people who have watched and enjoyed DBZ) think every second he spent on screen was a complete waste.

I genuinely don’t remember anyone giving a flying fuck about Yamcha one way or the other pre-Dragon Ball Z abridged. Krillin was the go to butt monkey (not hate just hah what a fucking weakling kind of thing) I feel like Yamcha, Tenshinhan , and Chaozu barely registered with most people especially from the “Only Z matters” crowd.
While I'm happy to concede that maybe my irl experiences weren't universal, I was very active in DB message, fanfiction, and (don't laugh) play-by-post rpg boards back in the early 2000s and that was a pretty big tent worth of fans. From what I remember, Krillin was the lovable loser everyone liked and Yamcha was a worthless piece of shit (except among the fanfiction crowd who for some reason thought he was an abusive significant other). People liked Tenshinhan just fine but it was only Chiaotzu nobody seemed to pay any attention too.

Like, I think the pendulum has swung so hard against TFS that people are forgetting that the jokes they made found fertile ground for a reason. Their depiction of the characters wasn't too far outside the mainstream opinion.