Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:29 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:45 am Agreed. In the beginning when everyone's strengths were shown to be closer, he was useful in that regard, but as the losses piled up and powers broke the scale, his role in the narrative shifted.
Once he lost to the Mummy who Goku one shot it was hard to take Yamcha seriously as a competitor.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:09 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:29 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:45 am Agreed. In the beginning when everyone's strengths were shown to be closer, he was useful in that regard, but as the losses piled up and powers broke the scale, his role in the narrative shifted.
Once he lost to the Mummy who Goku one shot it was hard to take Yamcha seriously as a competitor.
Eh I don’t think there was one single moment but a combination of moments. He still did respectable against Tenshinhan but a combination of being humiliated by Kami/Shen and getting kamikazed by a Saibaman (which I’ll defend as the best possible option for Yamucha’s demise there) and then being taken out by a swift hand impalement from Gero on top of his rep of early Dragon Ball as “being the guy ea defeated in the quarterfinals by the fighter Goku will have to face in the finals at the 21st and 22nd Budokai.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:24 pm

I’m pretty tired of the long-running joke about how much Yamcha sucks, which is ultimately my big problem with him being shafted in favor of Roshi. It would be nice if the character could get a win for once.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:12 pm

The joke is more than fair, even if it's overdone and I don't think this is an either or situation. Just because Muten Roshi doesn't make sense for the team, neither does Yamcha. And if they were to do it, give him a single win; don't go overboard.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Yamcha and the other humans were originally retired at the end of the Cell games.

Super made the mistake of focusing on nostalgia then proper progression, hence why Trunks and Goten do nothing now despite being far stronger than any human or even Piccolo.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm

^ honestly i wish toriyama retired More characters from fighting during the original story. i just finished the yyh anime (took like a decade lol) and for as much as three kings is a bit of a mess, one thing i really like about it is how kuwabara is retired because his story is done. that's just so much more satisfying then having a character lag around in the background not doing anything. granted with the way character delvopment works in dragon ball, that would basically mean every character would more or less be retired after their first story arc, but still, does piccolo really need to be on namek, does the story really need to pretend that yamcha needs to be taken seriously against the cyborgs, same with krillin in the boo arc ? obviously don't get rid of their characters completely like how i assume toriyama tried to do with tenshinhan at the end of cell, but still.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:21 pm

For a story to take place on Namek and NOT have Piccolo visit his homeland would feel very unsatisfying. It's subtle, but I think just him being there and meeting his own people and merging with one of them did a lot for his character development.

Tenshinhan showing up every now and then even if to just distract the bad guy works well.

I agree with you fundamentally, but not necessarily those examples.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:32 pm

i actually agree with that tenshinhan point, i don't think i said otherwise. unlike yamcha, krillin, piccolo post god merge, ten doesn't have a lot of character and the character he does have doesn't really work with casual watching of tournaments, so having him still show up on a occasion works.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm ^ honestly i wish toriyama retired More characters from fighting during the original story. i just finished the yyh anime (took like a decade lol) and for as much as three kings is a bit of a mess, one thing i really like about it is how kuwabara is retired because his story is done. that's just so much more satisfying then having a character lag around in the background not doing anything. granted with the way character delvopment works in dragon ball, that would basically mean every character would more or less be retired after their first story arc, but still, does piccolo really need to be on namek, does the story really need to pretend that yamcha needs to be taken seriously against the cyborgs, same with krillin in the boo arc ? obviously don't get rid of their characters completely like how i assume toriyama tried to do with tenshinhan at the end of cell, but still.
They’re on Piccolo’s home planet (even if its only his home in a real roundabout way) it would be weird if he or Kami never showed up there

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:17 pm

but i mean piccolo wasn't even technically born there, the story has nothing to really do with piccolo or his (non) connection to the planets people, and as a result it just feels like pointless. there's no struggle with piccolo about being a namekian or him wanting to see his home planet, he's not really fighting for it or for it's people. god has waaay more of a connection to but obviously he's a minor character and a non fighter who didn't come so...i guess piccolo is the next best option. i just wish it was done better, because the way it is done and the way piccolo's role in namek plays out, it just feels pointless to me.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:17 pm but i mean piccolo wasn't even technically born there, the story has nothing to really do with piccolo or his (non) connection to the planets people, and as a result it just feels like pointless. there's no struggle with piccolo about being a namekian or him wanting to see his home planet, he's not really fighting for it or for it's people. god has waaay more of a connection to but obviously he's a minor character and a non fighter who didn't come so...i guess piccolo is the next best option. i just wish it was done better, because the way it is done and the way piccolo's role in namek plays out, it just feels pointless to me.
He is the reincarnation of Kami's dark side. They share a mental link so in effect he was born on Namek. And when he merges with Nail, it's clear that he's fighting in part for his people.

Piccolo/Kami's yearning for his homeworld doesn't have to be some struggle. It can just be the missing piece of the puzzle. He now knows where he came from and it's tangible. It's very common to hear people visit their ancestral home country and see it as a life changing experience even if they never had a direct connection to it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 am

Roshi came back like what, 10 arcs after his own ended? He was useless background material by the time the original manga was finished, and even in GT he remained retired. Not even in my wildest dreams I thought he'd be fighting again if the show ever came back.
Who's to say the same won't happen to Yamcha in the future? maybe they'll find something to do with him if we ever go past EoZ.

I, personally, don't see why or what kind of bone he could be thrown, the show has gone too far for him, but if Roshi came back and to play such a big role in the manga ToP...

Of course, for that to happen you'd need to be at least "liked" by the author, which Yamcha is definitely not. I mean, he was turned into a cheater just to justify Bulma getting it on with the dude that "killed" every zetto-senshi a year before.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:36 am

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:02 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:17 pm but i mean piccolo wasn't even technically born there, the story has nothing to really do with piccolo or his (non) connection to the planets people, and as a result it just feels like pointless. there's no struggle with piccolo about being a namekian or him wanting to see his home planet, he's not really fighting for it or for it's people. god has waaay more of a connection to but obviously he's a minor character and a non fighter who didn't come so...i guess piccolo is the next best option. i just wish it was done better, because the way it is done and the way piccolo's role in namek plays out, it just feels pointless to me.
He is the reincarnation of Kami's dark side. They share a mental link so in effect he was born on Namek. And when he merges with Nail, it's clear that he's fighting in part for his people.

Piccolo/Kami's yearning for his homeworld doesn't have to be some struggle. It can just be the missing piece of the puzzle. He now knows where he came from and it's tangible. It's very common to hear people visit their ancestral home country and see it as a life changing experience even if they never had a direct connection to it.
On top of that him almost dying (again) when Freeza blast him before killing Kuririn adds tension because he dies the dragon balls are lost again and none of the Z warriors are coming back. You don’t get the tension if he just got brought back on standby on earth.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:27 am

precita wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 pm Yamcha and the other humans were originally retired at the end of the Cell games.

Super made the mistake of focusing on nostalgia then proper progression, hence why Trunks and Goten do nothing now despite being far stronger than any human or even Piccolo.
False. Kuririn stopped training and Yamcha stopped “fighting” sometime in the 7 year gap after Cell.
Ten and Chaozu never did.

The boys were never stronger than Piccolo and certainly not any more.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 amThey essentially did. After that his biggest contribution was...getting impaled by Gero’s hand.
Toriyama could have just have him stopped fighitng after his resurection to focus on baseball. Having him seperate from the Z Fighters would make his break up with Bulma more beliveable too. Makes for a better ending than getting implaed by Gero and beaten up by a Cell Jr.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:09 am

TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:27 am
precita wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 pm Yamcha and the other humans were originally retired at the end of the Cell games.

False. Kuririn stopped training and Yamcha stopped “fighting” sometime in the 7 year gap after Cell.
Ten and Chaozu never did.

The boys were never stronger than Piccolo and certainly not any more.
Then again Yamcha did enjoy fighting again in the afterlife during the Buu saga.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 am

Kid Buu wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:06 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 amThey essentially did. After that his biggest contribution was...getting impaled by Gero’s hand.
Toriyama could have just have him stopped fighitng after his resurection to focus on baseball. Having him seperate from the Z Fighters would make his break up with Bulma more beliveable too. Makes for a better ending than getting implaed by Gero and beaten up by a Cell Jr.

Bulma was always ready to trade Yamucha up. Their break up because she had sex with Vegeta was already believable

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm

The thing about Yamcha is that ever since original DB he was more like a pushover, but never straight a joke character. That's what Super made of him, that baseball episode ending with him doing his death pose just because of the meme and him waiting an invite from Goku for the ToP, not funny at all.

But, that's talking about a series trying too hard to being somewhat like fans perspective.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:35 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:18 pm Wasn't Yamcha's spot taken over by Roshi in RoF already? I can't recall why Yamcha didn't fight Freeza's Army.
Tien wouldn't allow him to join the fight due to it being "too dangerous" for him.
Didn't Yamcha came back with the same line regardng Tien and Chiaotzu? I remember something like that... Probably on his manga or something.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:00 am
Jord wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:27 am Besides, punishing users for bad behavior, the admins of this site should also encourage good behavior by having something like a "User of the month" or something with him or her having a separate color on the forum and I dunno, get something like $50 from the admins as a reward.
With all do respect: Fuck no. No one is gonna pay 50 of their actual currency just because some guy on the internet was a cool dude.
:lol:

That made me laugh more than I should.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm The thing about Yamcha is that ever since original DB he was more like a pushover, but never straight a joke character. That's what Super made of him, that baseball episode ending with him doing his death pose just because of the meme and him waiting an invite from Goku for the ToP, not funny at all.
I get your point, but 1) turning him into a joke character isn't stretch. If he's going to serve any purpose on the show when he hasn't for years, being the perpetual butt of the joke works well, 2) are any of us that bothered by what became of Yamcha? Really, Yamcha? and 3) I agree that the death pose joke is too fanservice-y.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm
Noah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm The thing about Yamcha is that ever since original DB he was more like a pushover, but never straight a joke character. That's what Super made of him, that baseball episode ending with him doing his death pose just because of the meme and him waiting an invite from Goku for the ToP, not funny at all.
I get your point, but 1) turning him into a joke character isn't stretch. If he's going to serve any purpose on the show when he hasn't for years, being the perpetual butt of the joke works well, 2) are any of us that bothered by what became of Yamcha? Really, Yamcha? and 3) I agree that the death pose joke is too fanservice-y.
As I said, Yamcha isn’t a favorite character of mine, but all the jokes at his expense get pretty tiresome after a while. It doesn’t help that Yamcha is probably one of the nicer and more down-to-earth members of the cast, so it can come across as unjustified.