Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am

Krillin is one of the best characters in the franchise. That may not be an unpopular sentiment among hardcore fans here, but unfortunately a large portion of the fan base thinks he's a joke just because he's died a lot.

I'd go as far to say Krillin is a Top 5 character, if not higher.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am Krillin is one of the best characters in the franchise. That may not be an unpopular sentiment among hardcore fans here, but unfortunately a large portion of the fan base thinks he's a joke just because he's died a lot.

I get the impression that the Kuririn jokes have mostly died down these days. Yamcha jokes seem a lot more common.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 amA large portion of the fan base thinks he's a joke just because he's died a lot.
This never made sense to me, as even Goku died twice in the manga, 3 if you count GT. Vegeta has died twice as well, same as Piccolo. Krillin is definitely a favorite of mine. What he lacks in power he more than makes up for it in personality and character development.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 amA large portion of the fan base thinks he's a joke just because he's died a lot.
This never made sense to me, as even Goku died twice in the manga, 3 if you count GT. Vegeta has died twice as well, same as Piccolo. Krillin is definitely a favorite of mine. What he lacks in power he more than makes up for it in personality and character development.
Goku never died in GT, what? Piccolo did, but not Goku. If you're talking about when he went off with Shenron, that's not him dying. That's him going off with the dragon & possibly extending his lifespan.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm Goku never died in GT, what? Piccolo did, but not Goku. If you're talking about when he went off with Shenron, that's not him dying. That's him going off with the dragon & possibly extending his lifespan.
Nozawa said in an interview (you can find it on the sire here in the translation section) that Goku indeed died, probably after being hit by Omega's attack.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 pm
Scsigs wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm Goku never died in GT, what? Piccolo did, but not Goku. If you're talking about when he went off with Shenron, that's not him dying. That's him going off with the dragon & possibly extending his lifespan.
Nozawa said in an interview (you can find it on the sire here in the translation section) that Goku indeed died, probably after being hit by Omega's attack.
Unless one of the show's writers, showrunners, producers, or the director of the episode come out & say that, you shouldn't take it as fact. Nozawa's the voice of Goku & most of his male relatives & doppelgängers, but she doesn't, nor has she ever, made any decisions behind the creative choices in DB. She's never been a script writer, director, producer, or showrunner of any of the shows or movies. I'm more willing to believe that was her own personal rationalization or head canon of what happened, but that's not what was shown in the show. You can say that it's reminiscent of Goku dying, as that's what that ending was trying to evoke to give the franchise & overall story a definitive endpoint, but that's not what happened. In fact, it's left up in the air as to what definitively happened, so it's not set in stone within the series itself, which is fine.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pmNozawa's the voice of Goku & most of his male relatives & doppelgängers, but she doesn't, nor has she ever, made any decisions behind the creative choices in DB.
She may not have written it, but I think it's reasonable to say that someone as connected to Goku as she was would be in the know of what was going on.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:27 pm
Scsigs wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pmNozawa's the voice of Goku & most of his male relatives & doppelgängers, but she doesn't, nor has she ever, made any decisions behind the creative choices in DB.
She may not have written it, but I think it's reasonable to say that someone as connected to Goku as she was would be in the know of what was going on.
I mean, the actor behind a character is going to have a connection to them, yes, but that's not a definitive way of judging what was going on by the people writing the character. I could cite Sean Schemmel, who's been playing the character for over 20 years in English, & he's apparently had problems with Goku's characterization in Super, which most of us have because Goku was flanderized in the worst ways possible, but no one here would take that seriously for one reason or another. Unless if Nozawa was citing anything she was told when the voice director was directing her, or by the writers of the series or episode, or the showrunner, I doubt she has a definitive answer. Her takes, while they can be interesting or insightful for how she interprets the things in the franchise, shouldn't be taken as fact unless she cites someone who's worked on the material telling her stuff as the reason why she thinks them.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Counting GT, Kuririn died a total of four times. That is still more than any other character.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 pm
Counting GT, Kuririn died a total of four times. That is still more than any other character.
I mean it's still weird.

Tambourine-death was before it was cliche. He then avoids dying thanks to Yamcha in the saiyan saga.

His death versus Freeza was because of the massive power disparity and it's a whole big deal that he's died once already, you don't expect it given that Toriyama had him avoid death so far probably because of the whole "you can't come back twice thing"

The third death was like a collective death with everyone, I feel like that's not on him in any meaningful way.

And I don't count GT, why would I. Not only is it non canon It was cheap AF that they brought him out of obscurity literally to kill him. GT is so cynical with it's rare deployment of cooler OG characters and continuity that's why the much lauded ending rings hollow to me.

The Godly powerful main character gets 2 and a million near misses.

3 Canon deaths in a long running series where people regularly put their lives in danger. I just never got why such a big deal was made of it.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 am Krillin is one of the best characters in the franchise. That may not be an unpopular sentiment among hardcore fans here, but unfortunately a large portion of the fan base thinks he's a joke just because he's died a lot.

Standing up for my man Krillin. Big respect.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:35 pm

I love Kuririn, but he's usually canon fodder. All of Goku's deaths were him going out like a champ. Kuririn's deaths were pretty much just used to motivate the hero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:05 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:35 pm I love Kuririn, but he's usually canon fodder. All of Goku's deaths were him going out like a champ. Kuririn's deaths were pretty much just used to motivate the hero.
That's true, but I still say that is more of a reflection of the writing than on Krillin's character.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am

I get the impression that the Kuririn jokes have mostly died down these days. Yamcha jokes seem a lot more common.
Maybe so, but I don't see the character get much love in the broader fanbase (none of the humans or even Piccolo do at this point). You're right about Yamcha jokes being more common, though. Yamcha's always had the misfortune of being the character designed to always be beaten by a stronger opponent. The Dragon Ball Super anime didn't help by having him get snubbed for the TOP.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:06 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:05 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:35 pm I love Kuririn, but he's usually canon fodder. All of Goku's deaths were him going out like a champ. Kuririn's deaths were pretty much just used to motivate the hero.
That's true, but I still say that is more of a reflection of the writing than on Krillin's character.
I'm not sure what you mean. Kuririn's character is characterized through the writing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 am

ABED wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:06 am
I'm not sure what you mean. Kuririn's character is characterized through the writing.
Right...and his deaths weren't so much a reflection on his character as on the plot. I'm not sure what you mean....

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 am

Right...and his deaths weren't so much a reflection on his character as on the plot. I guess I should have said "more of a reflection on the plot than on Krillin's character."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:05 pm That's true, but I still say that is more of a reflection of the writing than on Krillin's character.
Right...and his deaths weren't so much a reflection on his character as on the plot. I guess I should have said "more of a reflection on the plot than on Krillin's character."
I would say it is a reflection on his character as he's not typically the one driving the plot. I love Kuririn, but I can see why some make fun of him for dying. It says a lot that writers keep using his death to motivate others to action.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 am

Has anyone said that the Great Saiyaman helmet is the best yet?

I see a lot of hate for it and everyone loves bandanna Saiyaman but, i dont, i think it looks awful, the helmet though, the helmet is *chefs kiss*

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 pm

JewyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 am Has anyone said that the Great Saiyaman helmet is the best yet?

I see a lot of hate for it and everyone loves bandanna Saiyaman but, i dont, i think it looks awful, the helmet though, the helmet is *chefs kiss*
The helmet fits with the aesthetic of Japanese superheroes, which the Great Saiyaman is a parody of.