Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:23 pm

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Some more unpopular opinions

“Watch Z for the sub and Kai for the dub” is a completely nonsense mantra
Not sure I understand what that means or what your disagreeing with.
When fans say if you’re gonna watch Dragon Ball Z watch it subbed (I agree with that) but if you’re going to watch Dragon Ball Kai watch it dubbed (that’s the part I don’t agree with) there’s nothing about Dragon Ball Kai in English that’s inherently better than the Japanese version. Any plus (usually pacing and lack of meandering filler) or negative (usually in regards to music and the fact that its a recut and not a new series) applies to both versions. The Japanese cast in Kai still gives a better performance than the Funimation cast in Kai.

If you want to watch Dragon Ball in English (a lot of valid reasons for doing so) then watch Kai. But if you have no general preference for dubs or subs then sure yeah Z in Japanese has the best acting, better music and music placement etc but if your reason for watching Kai is you like the faster pacing than Kai is still better in Japanese than English.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:33 pm

The Japanese cast in Kai still gives a better performance than the Funimation cast in Kai.
This will get me some dirty looks, but with the exception of mostly the side characters, they don't. The performances in the Japanese cast are much worse than they were in DBZ. I honestly think the dub performances are better. While the Japanese cast is professional, they seem bored in Kai because they are doing it for the millionth time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 pm

ABED wrote:
The Japanese cast in Kai still gives a better performance than the Funimation cast in Kai.
This will get me some dirty looks, but with the exception of mostly the side characters, they don't. The performances in the Japanese cast are much worse than they were in DBZ. I honestly think the dub performances are better. While the Japanese cast is professional, they seem bored in Kai because they are doing it for the millionth time.
I agree there’s a drop in quality in the acting for the Japanese cast from Z to Kai. Or at least a “We already said these lines 20 years” sort of thing. I disagree the dub performances are better.

The Japanese cast, even phoning it in, still turns in perfectly respectable performances.

Chris Ayres is maybe the only performer who I think gave a better performance than his Japanese counterpart. At least of the main cast members.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Fair enough. If I'm going to watch the original, I wouldn't suggest watching Kai.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 pm

ABED wrote:This will get me some dirty looks, but with the exception of mostly the side characters, they don't. The performances in the Japanese cast are much worse than they were in DBZ. I honestly think the dub performances are better. While the Japanese cast is professional, they seem bored in Kai because they are doing it for the millionth time.
While I agree that much of the Japanese cast is certainly phoning it in for Kai: guys like Toshio Furukawa, Ryusei Nakao, and Masako Nozawa just reading from a phonebook in dry monotone can still manage to convey INFINITELY more natural charisma, vibrancy, and gravitas than godawful non-talents and charisma-vacuums like Schemmel and Sabat grunting and straining their way through yet another "trying so hard I'm bursting a blood vessel" ear-rape of a performance: which yes, is STILL what they largely do with these roles to this day, even in Kai and Super.

I've been long convinced that you're simply NEVER, ever going to get a natural, non-forced sounding performance out of almost any of the FUNimation cast for the simple reason that they're just fundamentally untalented, bad voice actors who aren't comfortable with just emoting organically into a mic. The Japanese cast, by contrast, are so bursting with natural, raw acting talent between them (on top of being such seasoned pros) that they can still run circles around their FUNimation alternatives even at their most disinterested, bored, and disengaged. Guys like Norio Wakamoto, or Daisuke Gori (RIP), or a pre-illness Jojji Yanami have the type of gifted acting presence where they can just blandly recite the menu of a bed & breakfast and their natural delivery would be commanding enough that they'd likely still make your ears perk up and take notice of them.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:
I agree there’s a drop in quality in the acting for the Japanese cast from Z to Kai. Or at least a “We already said these lines 20 years” sort of thing. I disagree the dub performances are better.

The Japanese casr, even phoning it in, still turns in perfectly respectable performances.

Chris Ayres is maybe the only performer who I think gave a better performance than his Japanese counterpart. At least of the main cast members.
Not only that, but 99% of replacements are terrible, and werent even half as good as Z ones, of course if voice actor/actress already died or retired, than replacement was necessary, but why, for example, Sho Hayami couldnt return to reprise his role as Zarbon?

And my personal unpopopular opinion, is that Ryo Horikawa sounds terrible as Vegeta nowadays, he is fine when he speaks in normal voice, but when he is angry or more emotional, not wanting to sound disrespectful, but he sound like old man trying to do Vegeta (its like he 's been smoking too much)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm

ABED wrote:Fair enough. If I'm going to watch the original, I wouldn't suggest watching Kai.
Oh I would never suggest Kai unless the person was strictly a dub only viewer or complained about Z’s pacing.

Kai’s existence is way more justified by the English dub than the Japanese dub but I’ll still maintain the Japanese version is better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
ABED wrote:This will get me some dirty looks, but with the exception of mostly the side characters, they don't. The performances in the Japanese cast are much worse than they were in DBZ. I honestly think the dub performances are better. While the Japanese cast is professional, they seem bored in Kai because they are doing it for the millionth time.
While I agree that much of the Japanese cast is certainly phoning it in for Kai: guys like Toshio Furukawa, Ryusei Nakao, and Masako Nozawa just reading from a phonebook in dry monotone can still manage to convey INFINITELY more natural charisma, vibrancy, and gravitas than godawful non-talents and charisma-vacuums like Schemmel and Sabat grunting and straining their way through yet another "trying so hard I'm bursting a blood vessel" ear-rape of a performance: which yes, is STILL what they largely do with these roles to this day, even in Kai and Super.

I've been long convinced that you're simply NEVER, ever going to get a natural, non-forced sounding performance out of almost any of the FUNimation cast for the simple reason that they're just fundamentally untalented, bad voice actors who aren't comfortable with just emoting organically into a mic. The Japanese cast, by contrast, are so bursting with natural, raw acting talent between them (on top of being such seasoned pros) that they can still run circles around their FUNimation alternatives even at their most disinterested, bored, and disengaged. Guys like Norio Wakamoto, or Daisuke Gori (RIP), or a pre-illness Jojji Yanami have the type of gifted acting presence where they can just blandly recite the menu of a bed & breakfast and their natural delivery would be commanding enough that they'd likely still make your ears perk up and take notice of them.
All I can say is I disagree concerning Kai. I love Nozawa as much as the next person, but at least with Kai, her voice lacks the vigor it did in years prior. I'm sure you will not just disagree but probably look down on my taste (not that I care all that much), but I think Sean has vastly improved to where he's good as Goku.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:52 pm

ABED wrote: but I think Sean has vastly improved to where he's good as Goku.
I agree Sean has definitely shown massive improvement since 1999 to the point his Goku is perfectly solid even if I’m more of an Ian Corlett guy when it comes to English Goku myself.

You could also make the argument Schemmel in 1999 really had nowhere to go but up but given how many of the dub cast barely improved over the years it’s a testament to Schemmel he improved as well as he did.

But Nozawa’s Goku is still just way better than any of the English Gokus even at her most phoned in.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm

ABED wrote:I'm sure you will not just disagree but probably look down on my taste (not that I care all that much), but I think Sean has vastly improved to where he's good as Goku.
You shouldn't care about what almost anyone in general thinks of your taste as an overall rule: but for whatever little its worth, I don't think your particular taste is nearly as bad as a lot of other folks in this community, if only by sheer virtue of the fact that you actually have a much more balanced and informed palette of stuff than most here often tend to.

And as an aside, I apologize for never having gotten back to you with that PM response of recommendations in all these months: been SUPER busy IRL, and I wanted to have a substantive list of things to send back.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm sure you will not just disagree but probably look down on my taste (not that I care all that much), but I think Sean has vastly improved to where he's good as Goku.
You shouldn't care about what almost anyone in general thinks of your taste as an overall rule: but for whatever little its worth, I don't think your particular taste is nearly as bad as a lot of other folks in this community, if only by sheer virtue of the fact that you actually have a much more balanced and informed palette of stuff than most here often tend to.

And as an aside, I apologize for never having gotten back to you with that PM response of recommendations in all these months: been SUPER busy IRL, and I wanted to have a substantive list of things to send back.
Thanks and I figured it was real life which should take precedent.
But Nozawa’s Goku is still just way better than any of the English Gokus even at her most phoned in.
I don't think she phoned it in. She strikes me as an actress that always gives it her all. Some of the others are like Connery or Harrison Ford when they don't have their heart invested in the role, solid performances, but little more than serviceable.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm

ABED wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:

Thanks and I figured it was real life which should take precedent.
I don't think she phoned it in. She strikes me as an actress that always gives it her all. Some of the others are like Connery or Harrison Ford when they don't have their heart invested in the role, solid performances, but little more than serviceable.
Yeah, she's only been playing Goku since the anime began in 1986 (plus as Gohan and Goten for less amount of years) so she's pretty much been THE one and only voice there has ever been for the characters. Her voice has never sounded phoned in with about anything i have heard her in, either Dragon Ball or other anime series she's been in.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 pm

I think Nappa should have been recasted with a better actor for Kai. Parsons isn't bad, he's just not very memorable.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm

ABED wrote:Some of the others are like Connery or Harrison Ford when they don't have their heart invested in the role, solid performances, but little more than serviceable.
Ford can be downright awful when he's truly disinterested. I would file recent films such as The Force Awakens and Bladerunner 2049 under the "serviceable Ford" label; he's past his prime but still does okay. But those films, while he clearly is not invested in them, do not properly show how Ford acts when he's in full "I do not care" mode; for that, see Ender's Game, Expendables 3, or Paranoia (or better yet, don't) where he's just terrible, sucking any possible charisma out of his scenes.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:40 pm

I haven't seen the films you mentioned besides TFA and I thought that was 'good Ford'. It's about between about midway Great and Serviceable. I felt he put some genuine effort into the role in TFA because it was the final one for him. Nowhere near Star Wars or Empire, but a step below Jedi.

Back on topic, I don't know if this is unpopular, but I really like Giru. I think he's one of the best parts of GT.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Goku doesn't seem stupid to me, more like extremely naïve.

Also using feats to compare characters is a bad idea.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Goku doesn't seem stupid to me, more like extremely naïve.
He was raised out in the mountains and only ever interacted with one person the first 11 years of his life and never got a formal education like his son did and only really learned basic reading and math while training under Muten Roshi.

He’s not stupid. He just more focused on fighting.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:39 pm

The Patrolman wrote:This is a touchy subject considering how he's a under a lot of fire right now but I prefer Mignogna Broly screams than Shimada's in the movie. Not to say his screams were bad but Mignogna screams capture the tortured caveman Broly was in the movie while Shimada's was straight up psychopathic which honestly fits the old Broly more
I agree. I never liked Vic Mignogna's Broly, but credit where it's due, his Super Saiyan transformation in the new movie was genuinely impactful. He really captured the intensity and the anguish Broly was going through in that scene.

Still, he had to get the flick. I'm sure whoever they replace him with will be fine, most of the new actors at Funimation have been doing alright. All three of the actors playing the Universe 6 Saiyans in the dub nailed their transformations.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Goku doesn't seem stupid to me, more like extremely naïve.
He was raised out in the mountains and only ever interacted with one person the first 11 years of his life and never got a formal education like his son did and only really learned basic reading and math while training under Muten Roshi.

He’s not stupid. He just more focused on fighting.

Yeah I agree. He just doesn't think.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:

What do you think of Dameon Clarke's Cell, Kara Edwards' Videl and Rick Robertson's Dabura? Those three performances always seem to be considered to be standouts of the old Z dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.