Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 am that's actually probably my favorite filler episode of the saiyan saga lol.
The majority of the Gohan's wilderness training (minus the orphan episode and Princess Snake) and the illusion Saiyans/Vegeta and Nappa on Arlia are my favorite filler parts of the Saiyan arc.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:50 am

Yeah the Z-filler to me is just a huge step down from the pre-Z filler. I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes at TOEI but it just doesn't work for me.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am (minus the orphan episode and Princess Snake)
Those two might be my favorites.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:50 am Yeah the Z-filler to me is just a huge step down from the pre-Z filler. I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes at TOEI but it just doesn't work for me.
there was a big producer change after the piccolo daimao arc, due to Torishima's request (https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... gon-quest/) so i would have too imagine that played a big part in it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 am

I think seeing Gohan's growth was important in helping his get to know and feel for the character. In the manga, it all feels glossed over.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am

I don’t know if this will be considered unpopular or not, but I wouldn’t care if they completely redubbed the series properly in English. It won’t “fix” anything and 99% of people who watch the Japanese version would stick with the Japanese version. The dub fans would get angry and there would be even more fandom fighting.

There could be an argument that newer fans will get accustomed to the new version, but I just don’t see how that would happen. There is far too much history with the the current dub for it to completely lose relevancy. An example is how people still talk about the Ocean dub till this day and how they preferred those dubs for the old Z movies. That era of the English dub did not last nearly as long as the current one.

Maybe this is a cynical take from me, but it’s honestly how I feel about it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am

Why does anyone care if it would or wouldn't repair some imaginary rift? It's the internet, there will always be disagreement and fighting. No fandom is united about anything.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 am

- Goten is not only a fun and likable character, but his scenes with big brother Gohan during the high school/tournament prep part of the Buu Saga are better than any of his scenes with Trunks or as Gotenks.
- Vegeta's sacrifice against Fat Buu should have been the permanent end for his character.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:42 am

zDBZ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 am - Goten is not only a fun and likable character, but his scenes with big brother Gohan during the high school/tournament prep part of the Buu Saga are better than any of his scenes with Trunks or as Gotenks.
Oh my god, yes! Goten was so cute in those early eps. Way better than just being Trunks' sidekick.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:00 am

MajinMan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am I don’t know if this will be considered unpopular or not, but I wouldn’t care if they completely redubbed the series properly in English. It won’t “fix” anything and 99% of people who watch the Japanese version would stick with the Japanese version. The dub fans would get angry and there would be even more fandom fighting.

There could be an argument that newer fans will get accustomed to the new version, but I just don’t see how that would happen. There is far too much history with the the current dub for it to completely lose relevancy. An example is how people still talk about the Ocean dub till this day and how they preferred those dubs for the old Z movies. That era of the English dub did not last nearly as long as the current one.

Maybe this is a cynical take from me, but it’s honestly how I feel about it.
I've seen people online think that, for some reason, Toe was gonna yank the license for DB from FUNi with absolutely nothing to go on but the vague statement of, "they're mad at FUNimation," which doesn't make sense on ANY level. And, yes, I know they were mad at the Vic situation at best & nothing else. A lot of the people who were falling for that bullshit were even in favor of that happening, all due to some of the actors in the dubs' (Monica Rial & Sean Schemmel, as many people bring up, were the 2 I saw the most) behaviors on Twitter during the situation. I'm not gonna defend them since both made some wrong moves in this situation & I'm not gonna shit on them because of the ongoing court case & I'm waiting on the ultimate verdict, but some people are really just acting stupid here with this.

There's also the fact that IF FUNi were to magically dissolve as a company, or IF Toei were to just randomly yank the license from them, I have a hard time believing that the new company dubbing the franchise wouldn't just subcontract Okratron5000 separate from FUNi to do the dubbing to keep the modern English dub cast consistent. Hell, I have a hard time believing they'd go through all the trouble to redub the entire franchise from scratch when there's FUNi's dubs that would be cheaper & easier to just throw on new discs & release in new releases. Hell, even Toei themselves dubbed the show, that's probably exactly what they'd do, since they tried very hard to keep the cast of the first 2 seasons of Digimon consistent for the Tri films, minus some but found reasonable voice doubles/replacements (minus Kari, who is the one character I cannot stand's new English voice & think they could've cast better if they really couldn't get her old actress back, especially since they did a great job with the Digimon replacement VAs where applicable, since they sounded almost, if not identical to the originals), though that could've been the dub studio's work than Toei's. Many of FUNi's VAs live in Cali no anyways, notably Sean Schemmel, so it wouldn't be that hard to get a lot of them back.

So, yeah, I highly doubt that a new company would suddenly wanna change the cast if Toei were to suddenly change dubbing companies. One thing I think Toei NEEDS to do is yank the home video rights of the pre-HD shows from them & give it to a company that can actually remaster them worth a damn without on purpose screwing it up & release them, or just do their own remaster in Japan with Q-Tec restoring the film, since they already have experience dealing with Toei & DB remastering & did a good job on Kai outside of some of the redrawn animation to replace the damaged frames. THEN have FUNi admit their DBZ Blu-Rays are terrible & that some NEW BRs are the true remasters. But, I know that's not gonna happen because Toei are lazy, cheap, & haven't complained ONCE about FUNi's remasters in the past because they got lots of money from them. Whoever's at Toei really NEEDS to slap the people at FUNi hard & make them actually do a remaster worth a damn, but those people are just not caring for some reason for their biggest franchise ever.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:23 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 am that's actually probably my favorite filler episode of the saiyan saga lol.
Likewise. Don’t cry The Robot-san was easily my favorite episode of the Saiyan saga

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm

not sure if this is super unpopular but i much prefer the end of the freeza arc in the anime. yes it's bloated, yes the 5 minute stuff is stupid, but goku vs freeza is such a boring fight in the manga, and i think some of the filler, along with a lot of the cuts back to kaio's planet and everyone on earth somewhat helps it. vegeta being such a huge asshole on earth is also really entertaining, even if that one fight with gohan doesn't make sense because in the next episode gohan offers a handshake too him. i also think it fixes the rushed ending, we actually see yamucha, tenshinhan and chaozu revived!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm Vegeta being such a huge asshole on earth is also really entertaining, even if that one fight with gohan doesn't make sense because in the next episode gohan offers a handshake too him.
Those are definitely some of my favorite Vegeta scenes. I don't even mind the Gohan fight and I think that the handshake makes sense in context.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:19 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:06 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm Vegeta being such a huge asshole on earth is also really entertaining, even if that one fight with gohan doesn't make sense because in the next episode gohan offers a handshake too him.
Those are definitely some of my favorite Vegeta scenes. I don't even mind the Gohan fight and I think that the handshake makes sense in context.
oh i actually like the gohan fight, it's a pretty decent character moment for both of them, and the scene of vegeta punching gohan in the air is a classic scene, i just think it flows weirdly. like vegeta flies away at the end of the episode, and than in the next he's just by the tree. plus bulma just sees vegeta wailing on gohan and just goes yeah i should invite him too my house, but that's a much bigger issue.

but still, i just can't resist loving vegeta exclaiming that everything is going in his favor followed by horikawa's insane sounding laugh.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:24 pm

I actually want to see the Galactic King in a fight :lol:

It's interesting how Goku managed to sense his power way back from New Namek in the recent DBS chapter.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 pm

I don’t know how unpopular this one is, but I prefer the names FUNimation gave for the movies than the ones Toei gave. Sure, some of the names were really basic, like Lord Slug and Super Android 13, but they at least felt more like actual movie titles, and they’re much less vague than a lot of the Japanese titles.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 pm I don’t know how unpopular this one is, but I prefer the names FUNimation gave for the movies than the ones Toei gave. Sure, some of the names were really basic, like Lord Slug and Super Android 13, but they at least felt more like actual movie titles, and they’re much less vague than a lot of the Japanese titles.
Same. Generic Titles like “Super Battle in the world” sound more like episode titles and tell you absolutely nothing. At least Tree of Might gives you an idea on what you’re gonna be watching.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:10 am

not to mention besides the first couple movies, the rest follow the same title format of the Z series, which is just weird.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 amYou would imagine Vegeta getting a bit smarter after the whole Frieza drama.
And that's why I can't enjoy Vegeta's character on Super, after how many stupid decisions he made off, after finally realizing that Goku is better than him... We don't get any new direction to this character over than "get frustrated and try to surpass Kakarot" for f**k's sake... Why is so hard to have Vegeta wanting to get stronger by himself? To acknowledge Goku as a ally, but yes still being annoyed by his persona. You can have Vegeta to be better than that, but we only get glimpses of a possible change.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Wanting to be better than Goku isn't a regression, necessarily. Vegeta's problem wasn't his obsession with being stronger than Goku. It was that being considered weaker was an affront to his sense of self.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm

DBS didn't need Zamasu arc to exist at all. It wouldn't change anything as this arc didn't introduce anything relevant and didn't even affect main timeline. Hakai could've been easily introduced when dwarf god of destruction tried to kill Frieza and we all know that nerfing potara fusion was bad and people would prefer this bs explanation to not exist. Gowasu didn't have a partner in tournament of power and that's it. Without this arc he would have him. That's really the only difference i can think about. Correct me if i'm wrong. Trunks got his timeline erased, but well, he found a timeline that is basically the same his would be without Zamasu, but now he has a doppelganger as well.

The only good side of this arc existence is that Super at least got a villain (luckily Moro is also a thing now) and new story that isn't just a movie retelling or tournament.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta