Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The introduction of the Androids did more damage to Freeza's character than any material that would follow it.
*The introduction of 16, 17 and 18.
While 19 and 20 are way too powerful even at their starting points, I think Toriyama somewhat helped the issue by making them energy based and Cell obviously works because he's a bizarre combination of everyone to justify his power/potential. It's the middle Androids who screw the pooch.
Yeah, I should have been more specific about which Androids I was referring to. 16, 17, 18 and 19 are who I'm talking about. But 17 and 18 are the worst offenders due to the fact they are mostly human. Seriously, that absolutely murders any kind of mystique Freeza's character had. Freeza was by no means this unbelievable force of nature that should be reckoned with in the universe. He was ultimately just a big fish in a small pond. Because ultimately, an old, very intelligent, mad scientist in a cave with a box of scraps, with no idea of how strong Freeza is, can somehow created cyborgs that are far stronger than Freeza ever wished he could be.

I fucking hate that so much.

It makes Freeza look like the luckiest character ever. Because if Dr Gero had decided to carry out his plan sooner and on a scale as large as Freeza, Freeza and his army would have been no match for him. People can complain about the circumstance of Freeza's official return in Resurrection F and how they feel the character wasn't explored in all the depth possible, and I will agree on several of those points, despite how much I love the film, but Resurrection F did one thing right in my eyes... it restored the notion that Freeza is a freak of nature that really shouldn't be swept aside so nonchalantly. If only Freeza acted a bit more smarter in that movie, he would have won.
Luckily enough, RoF actually rectified this problem.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Luckily enough, RoF actually rectified this problem.
Ehh I don't know about that, F was Freeza losing what little credibility he had left if you ask me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Luckily enough, RoF actually rectified this problem.
Ehh I don't know about that, F was Freeza losing what little credibility he had left if you ask me.
Don't get me wrong, it did lots of things wrong. However, it did rectify the Android problem.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Super Perfect Cell shouldn't exist. I mean, lore-wise he shouldn't. Vegeta says self-inflicted injuries don't give Zenkai and blowing yourself up is about as self-inflicted as it gets :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta says self-inflicted injuries don't give Zenkai...
I don't remember this, could someone give me the quote?

Either way, zenkai are inconsistent enough for me to forgive it.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta says self-inflicted injuries don't give Zenkai...
I don't remember this, could someone give me the quote?

Either way, zenkai are inconsistent enough for me to forgive it.
Here it is:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Super Perfect Cell shouldn't exist. I mean, lore-wise he shouldn't. Vegeta says self-inflicted injuries don't give Zenkai and blowing yourself up is about as self-inflicted as it gets :P
I always wrote it off as another instance of Cell having no downsides to the familiar abilities of the fighters he got his techniques and buffs from.

Like, with his Multi Form technique he got from Tenshinhan, I recall his ki not dropping one bit. Same with the times that he regenerated, which is something that ought to happen with any regular Namekians.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Super Perfect Cell shouldn't exist. I mean, lore-wise he shouldn't. Vegeta says self-inflicted injuries don't give Zenkai and blowing yourself up is about as self-inflicted as it gets :P
I always wrote it off as another instance of Cell having no downsides to the familiar abilities of the fighters he got his techniques and buffs from.

Like, with his Multi Form technique he got from Tenshinhan, I recall his ki not dropping one bit. Same with the times that he regenerated, which is something that ought to happen with any regular Namekians.
I'm pretty sure he never used multi-form in the manga and him regenerating did cause his ki to drop. His only upgrade for that seems to be him being able to regen faster than Piccolo.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Goku got a bunch of zenkais from injuring himself when he was training for Namek.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Goku got a bunch of zenkais from injuring himself when he was training for Namek.
That was filler, if I remember correctly.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
That was filler, if I remember correctly.
I think he's referring to Goku wearing himself down over and over though this is more of a product of the gravity taking its toll on him. He didn't just smash himself with blasts for the whole trip.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 am

I think the Saiyan Saga and the Buu Saga were Z's only good arcs.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:21 pm

SSGSS or Super Saiyan Blue is my least favorite Saiyan transformation and is, in my.opinion, the worst of the Saiyan forms or power ups.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Piccolo was at his most useless during the Namek/Freeza arc.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Bansho64 wrote:SSGSS or Super Saiyan Blue is my least favorite Saiyan transformation and is, in my.opinion, the worst of the Saiyan forms or power ups.
Agreed. Super Saiyan Rose and White and whatever else recolor they'll come up with is right on up there. I think it's lazy.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The introduction of the Androids did more damage to Freeza's character than any material that would follow it.
*The introduction of 16, 17 and 18.
While 19 and 20 are way too powerful even at their starting points, I think Toriyama somewhat helped the issue by making them energy based and Cell obviously works because he's a bizarre combination of everyone to justify his power/potential. It's the middle Androids who screw the pooch.
Yeah, I should have been more specific about which Androids I was referring to. 16, 17, 18 and 19 are who I'm talking about. But 17 and 18 are the worst offenders due to the fact they are mostly human. Seriously, that absolutely murders any kind of mystique Freeza's character had. Freeza was by no means this unbelievable force of nature that should be reckoned with in the universe. He was ultimately just a big fish in a small pond. Because ultimately, an old, very intelligent, mad scientist in a cave with a box of scraps, with no idea of how strong Freeza is, can somehow created cyborgs that are far stronger than Freeza ever wished he could be.

I fucking hate that so much.

It makes Freeza look like the luckiest character ever. Because if Dr Gero had decided to carry out his plan sooner and on a scale as large as Freeza, Freeza and his army would have been no match for him. People can complain about the circumstance of Freeza's official return in Resurrection F and how they feel the character wasn't explored in all the depth possible, and I will agree on several of those points, despite how much I love the film, but Resurrection F did one thing right in my eyes... it restored the notion that Freeza is a freak of nature that really shouldn't be swept aside so nonchalantly. If only Freeza acted a bit more smarter in that movie, he would have won.
I agree, I did like the fact Resurrection F re-established Freeza as a prodigy by showing he can become exponentially stronger if he trains. For me this is the perfect example of Toriyama doing the best he can with shallow storytelling, but I can justify it with Freeza's motive for training being the fact he was defeated by both Goku and Trunks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Piccolo was at his most useless during the Namek/Freeza arc.
Oh, I totally agree. He had nothing to do with the plot. Not a single bit. And the only actual contribution he made to the fight was to distract Freeza while Goku was building his Genki Dama, a task that could have (and narratively should have) gone to Kuririn and Gohan.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Bansho64 wrote:SSGSS or Super Saiyan Blue is my least favorite Saiyan transformation and is, in my.opinion, the worst of the Saiyan forms or power ups.
I liked the original design of SSB, the one that resembled SS God. Unfortunately, it did end up being a recolor in the end.
Retired.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I liked the original design of SSB, the one that resembled SS God. Unfortunately, it did end up being a recolor in the end.
The original design of SSB?? I'm sure there's only been one design, the one we've seen from the beginning, as drawn by Toriyama, so I'd like to know: what are you referring to?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:41 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
The original design of SSB?? I'm sure there's only been one design, the one we've seen from the beginning, as drawn by Toriyama, so I'd like to know: what are you referring to?
Maybe I didn't word that as well as I should have. In Toriyama's designs, SSB was skinny, like SSG. If you're familiar with me, you know I'm a sucker for Toriyama's skinny designs.
Retired.