Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 am

That's due to different points of view, but I love Dragon Ball and Japanese sound-track (dub).
Because I'm mostly operating on english viewer's boards, I'm in minority lot of times.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:41 am

1. I also like movie 11, in fact I like it way more than I like movie 10, which I think is pretty bad.
2. Gogeta is not utilized worse in GT than he was in DBZ Movie 12.
3. Saiyans do have limitations, at least as far as their Super Saiyan power is concerned, thus their form multipliers(50x, 2x & 4x) stop holding true after a certain point.
4. I don't think the Garlic Junior mini-arc is bad.
5. And Goku vs. Cell in the manga never really struck me as amazing. In fact a lot of the fights in the Cell Arc didn't seem as great as previous ones.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 am

I think GT is good. Out of 64 episodes I've narrowed it down to around 26 episodes that I think are solid, well paced episodes with good plot, fighting and great animation for the most part. I won't name each and every one but I think they're up there with any of the good filler from the previous 2 series and movies. The longest sequence of episodes that I really enjoyed was from Episode 29 to 40 which covers Goku getting stuck in Surgorku Space, through to his SSj4 transformation, all the way to Piccolo's death as the Earth explodes.

Also, not that it's unpopular but it's more glanced over: I'm sure the new Artificial Human #17 (and later Super #17) is supposed to be a machine mutant much like Baby was. Which can justify exactly why Goku can sense his Ki. [Although that still doesn't explain how he was created in Hell].

I think Magic Begins is a really fun film. It captures the goofy nature of the series very well and I think the cheesiness of it is charming, much like Toriyama's original story.

Ultimate Tenkaichi - when I first got it I enjoyed it for a week or so. Stopped playing it for a while and went back to a cycle of Raging Blast 2, Infinite World, Burst Limit, Final Bout, and the Gamecube version of Budokai 1. Then I went back to Ultimate Tenkaichi recently, and I'm actually really enjoying it now for some reason. Could be a lot better - but for what it is, I like it. I wouldn't want to buy a sequel but I'm silly so I would.

Maybe I just like "bad" things? [I think I just don't expect too much out of things as long as I have fun!]

Popular opinion? - I really wish Spike would stop making Dragon Ball games.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 pm

dbgtFO wrote:5. And Goku vs. Cell in the manga never really struck me as amazing. In fact a lot of the fights in the Cell Arc didn't seem as great as previous ones.
I somewhat agree with this. I like the general plot a lot, but most of the fights seemed to be one-up encounters than real high-stakes fights. Some were awesome, like the Piccolo / 17 fight, but only a couple actually had any weight to them. The fight choreography wasn't that high across the board, either. Looking back on the Freeza fight, it was really despondent. However, he's merely a chump, and that's where the final battle of the Cell saga has more value in it. The Freeza / Goku fight totally overrated, though, as arguments can be made on how the final Cell fight wasn't all that much, too.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I like movie #11 much more than say some of the first ones, like all DB and 2 first DBZ movies.

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't think much of Kai. For better or for worse, the original anime is the anime adaptation for me, and I always disliked the replaced music and voice actors. The original anime grew with its audience, and needed filler because it grew with the manga. In some ways, it's a period piece reflecting Japanese 80s-90s animation, which adds to the experience. Kai is just a cheap rehashing.

I guess my other opinions would be that I do like Vegeta in all the arcs, I don't care that most non-Saiyan characters got shafted, I love the Buu arc, and I think Freeza is a bit overrated. There are some genuinely interesting parts of his character, but there were times when his entire schtick was, "He acts polite and calm, but he isn't, therefore he's scary!", and god only knows how many times I've seen that type of character.
SAD 4 U

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I quite like the song from the Funi dub of the Bardock and Trunks specials. Even though it's just music with the occasional "Dragonball Z" and ends with an echoing "Zeeeee!". It's just got a cool rhythm.

Some of the Japanese song lyrics are a bit nonsensical to me - "If in the thawed polar ice I find a dinosaur I'll teach him to balance on top of a ball"??? Seriously what were they on when they wrote that? I like to think it's just lost in translation or something...

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I hate it when people spell it "Broly". I've always spelled in Brolli and that's how I'm gonna stay!
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 am

I personally don't hate DBE since I knew it was going to suck from the start and the movie does have some enjoyable cheesy moments. I rather watch DBE over the last two Transformers movies seeing that DBE is shorter and less annoying to watch :) .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 am

Yeah, here I have one true unpopular.
I don't like 2 Dragon Ball Movies + Path to Power (This I don't like the most).
At least in first two, there are original villains, but I don't like how almost 3/4 of the first movie is recycled.
I like the second tough, that is the most original Dragon Ball movie and I like it a lot and again, I don't like the third,
which is the weirdest recyclation of them all. It's original story, only that instead of original movie characters, they used cast of the late Red Ribbon and 22nd Budokai arc. Only thing I liked about the movie was seeing Tenshinhan next to Taopaipai.
And last the 10th anniversary special, which is mega-fast mash up of the first and red ribbon arc with Goku being Saiyan in the end and wasting wish on Android.

But yeah, Majinjou no nemuri hime is the only movie I accept and is part of my personal canon :)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:32 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Filler or not, Mr. Shuu is the best villain in all of DBZ.
Well, I don't know how unpopular an opinion that is, but I agree with it. :mrgreen:

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Well I see a few "DB > Z" people in here and I'm glad.

However I'm gonna go a step further. DBZ/Part 2 Dragon Ball is garbage. All those people who say "it should have ended after Freeza"? I would have ended it after the 23rd Tournament.

Oh and I think Pan was one of the only good things about GT. I loved her design and spunky attitude.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I actually like Broly. And I love movie 11 - mainly because it reminds me of some cheesy old monster movies.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Here's my "probably" unpopular DB opinion. Harmony Gold did a better and more professional dub of the first and third DB Movies than FUNimation did.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Perfect wrote:Cell is the greatest villain in the entire series and needed to have a movie or sub-series devoted to his character.
Bio-Cell? God forbid!

The dissonance between Goku's posture and voice is his best and most memorable traits. I used to watch French overdub, but when in the middle of GT the voices were switched to original ones I had fallen in love with Goku's voice. This scratching and squeaking instead of standard man's voice perfectly fits his childlike personality and embraces his alien origins.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Nikkolas wrote:Well I see a few "DB > Z" people in here and I'm glad.
You bet, I love the first series the most! Always little sad that Z gets rudiculous overload in everything and everyone goes Z!!! OMG SSJ, Power levels!!!
Well, if majority likes it that much :) At least I have that little much I can get with DB. Just bought one and only wallpaper to my poster collection hanging on my wall.

I'm little perfeccionist, so I'm framing all the posters like regular images

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Filler or not, Mr. Shuu is the best villain in all of DBZ.
Well, I don't know how unpopular an opinion that is, but I agree with it. :mrgreen:
Yeah, Gohan's daddy issues are the best.

-Oh and I do think Mark Satan saved the world from Cell, I mean if he hadn't thrown #16's head towards Gohan, the boy would have been fucked (but then again, Cell would have been fucked too since the mother was watching; she's the inventor of Kaio-ken :wink:).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 am

I don't have a problem with the Androids being stronger than Freeza but I do have a problem with Freeza's Power Level to begin with.

The guy is literally a 1,000 times stronger than his most powerful subordinate.

Even at his base level he's 10x stronger than his second-in-command Zarbon.

This is bad enough when compared to every other villain before him but it just makes all the power increases the heroes go through to fight him absolutely absurd. Piccolo, Gohan, Vegeta and Goku must have all received a 1,000,000+ increase in one go just to even combat any of his forms.

In short, Gohan could have one-shotted every previous antagonist using the powerup he got when he attacked Freeza.

It really is ridiculous.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

Nikkolas wrote:I don't have a problem with the Androids being stronger than Freeza but I do have a problem with Freeza's Power Level to begin with.

The guy is literally a 1,000 times stronger than his most powerful subordinate.

Even at his base level he's 10x stronger than his second-in-command Zarbon.

This is bad enough when compared to every other villain before him but it just makes all the power increases the heroes go through to fight him absolutely absurd. Piccolo, Gohan, Vegeta and Goku must have all received a 1,000,000+ increase in one go just to even combat any of his forms.

In short, Gohan could have one-shotted every previous antagonist using the powerup he got when he attacked Freeza.

It really is ridiculous.
I agree. Freeza's power is more ridiculous than Freeza being surpassed, to me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 am

Saiga wrote:
Nikkolas wrote:I don't have a problem with the Androids being stronger than Freeza but I do have a problem with Freeza's Power Level to begin with.
It really is ridiculous.
I agree. Freeza's power is more ridiculous than Freeza being surpassed, to me.
Totally agree as well. The PL are screwed up to begin with, but having him at 530,000 base is asking for inconsistencies in these battles. That would at least make the jumps bearable. Also, 1% power is still in the millions upon millions? Thanks for screwing up that one, too.