Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:51 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:11 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:32 pm

I despise fusion characters. I find them to be super lazy and uncreative. "Oh! We can't win! We'll just combine ourselves! Power boost? Enough to win!
The times a fusion actually led to victory is pretty low. Just Z movie 12 and Super Broli
That's not the point.
Then what is?

The entire philosophy of creating new life and what happens to it after the fusion is over? Who cares? Where's the outfit come from? Unclear! Making rules up as we go along? It's a preposterous concept to begin with, so why not?"
Most of the techniques don’t make any sense so I don’t know know why this is the one that grinds your gears. It’s a kitschy kids kung fu cartoon.
Also not the point. The "rules" for fusion keep changing. But the real thing that grinds my gears is that fusion is such a cop-out. Anyway, that's my opinion; always hated fusion characters. Can't see that changing now lol

But why is it a cop out compared to any other technique?

Also where do the rules keep changing? When they retconned how the potara earrings worked to allow Vegetto to come back in Super?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:52 pm

I like fusion as a concept. Unfortunately, its execution has more misses than hits. It often comes off as Toriyama trying to make sure that the fusions don't 1-shot the enemies like Gogeta did Janemba.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:21 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:29 pm I mean, can't a movie do both? Battle of Gods did some good world building & had some good emotional resonance for me.
Generally no. World building for the sake of world building is just information. The whole point of the gods and the other universes wasn't worldbuilding, it's a thematic point being made - there are more adventures to be had and greater mountains to climb.

Little crumbs of information over the years is bound to happen and it's best when it's to set up the drama but when people talk about the lore and worldbuilding what they want is almost always straight exposition and nothing in service of furthing the characters or plant some seed for the story that is paid off later. There is an abundance of examples we have of history being explained and it just ends up being disappointing. Stories should give only the information it needs for the story to function and no more.

Saiyan history has been done to death. It's a caste system based in strength. That's pretty much all we need to know.

The prequels were badly executed but the idea to explore them was flawed from the start. How can you possibly explain the fall of the republic, the Jedi, Anakin in the time it has and have it all feel satisfying? Explaining Darth Vader is like trying to explain Hannibal Lecter. The original trilogy gave as much information as it needed for the story to function but not so much that it ground the story to a halt. Prequels are practically by their nature about information.

Bardock wasn't great because it explored history. It told us nothing we didn't already know. It's great because it is a tragedy that has a meaningful story arc for its protagonist. It's not because of the mythology.

Rogue one is terrible. It doesn't do anything remotely meaningful. We don't need those details explained and the only ones asking those questions are nerds who want to know everything about the fictional stories they consume.

The single worst part of that Broly movie is the intro. Cut it, it's not necessary. Almost every movie benefits from being shorter.
We don't need 100% of the history of the Saiyans, but the glimpses we HAVE gotten are really good that I think it's ok to get them fleshed out more.
Or perhaps it's because they are just hints that they are so interesting. It's usually best to leave certain things up to the audience's imaginations because it's beyond the scope of the story being told and no explanation will deliver on the audience's expectations. The movie is too long as is.

One of the best action movies of all time is Predator. Very little backstory is given, but we understand the characters and what's motivating them. That's all that matters. Attempts to explore the predator mythology have almost all been disappointing.
My take on this is that worldbuilding really only works when the story itself is fundamentally about worldbuilding and mythmaking.

Or in other words: start with worldbuilding and make stories out of that world. Turn that exposition into narrative, weave it into narrative, and so on. This is what makes Lord of the Rings feel like an actual mythology more than just a trilogy, after all (though it also hurts the prose of the books themselves if you ask me). Without worldbuilding, LotR wouldn't have been as rich as it was. But the trick there was that Tolkien spent time building the world beforehand and set a story in that world, not creating a story and building lore around it. A lot of overwrought fantasy does the latter in a way while presenting itself as the former.

When worldbuilding fails, it's because creators do the latter. Indeed, the Predator example is perfect: the initial movie gave us exactly what we needed to know and rode off the themes and conflict. Ever since, we've basically been getting nothing but worldbuilding that waters down what made the first movie great. We're basically told more information about the Yautja and Weyland-Yutani's actions and history and only occasionally getting some novel insight.

This isn't intrinsically due to worldbuilding; the problem is all about information presented and how it's given.
Worldbuilding is addicting— I can tell you this upfront right now— but by itself it's just a fictional encyclopedia. I mean, if that's what you're going for, more power to you. But if an actual narrative story you're trying to tell feels like you jammed an encyclopedia into it, that's when things fall apart. When it's done well, you can create whole universes just through clever dialogue and action. Indeed, speaking from experience, I prefer heavy worldbuilding just because sometimes you get things like that you wouldn't from pantsing a story. Things like the particular way characters speak or some conlang. So long as you don't jam the brakes stopping and explaining the history of such a thing in the middle of the story, it's fun.

Edit: On that note, what you're probably referring to is exposition dumps.
ABED wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:29 pm but when people talk about the lore and worldbuilding what they want is almost always straight exposition
Exposition dumps are a sign of bad writing in general and a big reason why reading 19th century novels can be an experience of wading through sludge. When people talk about the lore and worldbuilding, in practice they do mean exposition dumps badly interrupting the flow of the narrative or pointless extensions to the story after the story has been told, but what they really want is that aforementioned encyclopedia, something separate from the narrative that enriches the story without being necessary to enjoy it fully.

As aforementioned, it's always dangerous to become obsessed with worldbuilding in an established story because you run the risk of crushing your toes backtracking on things, hence why, if you're making a lore-heavy world, it's always best to create that mythos first and get the story you wanted to tell out of it later. Good example being Gine. She was fine as the answer of a trivia question of "Who is Son Goku's mom?" but the lore she came with retroactively fucked with Dragon Ball's themes.

If you're not making a lore-heavy world from the outset, then just don't bother. Things will get way too convoluted way too soon.

The way I see it, lore-heavy works feel like a funnel. You create a massive world, lots of lore, your own little mythology, and whatnot, and then sharpen stories out of it, usually feeding back into that larger lore. Because of this, you probably don't need large infodumps if there's more of a world you're going to flesh out in other stories or chapters.
Lore-light or loreless works are streamlined from the outset, explaining little to nothing that doesn't matter to the plot. Going for light-on-worldbuilding to lore-heavy feels like branches extending outwards into a state of maximum convolution all trying to explain and justify themselves.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Movie 10 would've been the best movie ever if it focused on 18 only. Scrap the 2 annoying brats entirely and give all the spotlight to everyone's favorite blonde android.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:30 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm Movie 10 would've been the best movie ever if it focused on 18 only. Scrap the 2 annoying brats entirely and give all the spotlight to everyone's favorite blonde android.
I am pretty sure you mean Movie 11 (Bio Broly)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:19 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:30 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm Movie 10 would've been the best movie ever if it focused on 18 only. Scrap the 2 annoying brats entirely and give all the spotlight to everyone's favorite blonde android.
Oops, yeah you're right. My bad.

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:15 pm

Vegeta would have killed Goku when they fought for the first time. :P

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:52 am

Goku da Silva wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:15 pm Vegeta would have killed Goku when they fought for the first time. :P
why yes, sherlock

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:31 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:19 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:30 pm
Oops, yeah you're right. My bad.
Movie 10 would've been the best movie by not existing.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:41 am

Dunno how unpopular this is but the English titles for the movies are way better than the Japanese ones. The Japanese titles read out like a generic episode while the English titles are short and to the point.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:54 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:41 am Dunno how unpopular this is but the English titles for the movies are way better than the Japanese ones. The Japanese titles read out like a generic episode while the English titles are short and to the point.
It’s the exact opposite of an unpopular opinion. Most fans prefer them.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 am

I've heard that they named the movies before they even wrote them. Whether that's true or not, most of them seem like it, as they're just a bunch of word salad in Japanese.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 am But Goku didn't specifically ask Broly to call him by that, did he? That female character asks his name and Goku says "I"m Goku, and also, Kakarot".

Like you said, he doesn't care being called "Kakarot" by anyone. The way Goku says means he won't mind that Broly and those other two characters call him like that.
Well I kinda saw that as a way to define how Broly would call Goku in the next stories, not only because his original counterpart called him by Kakarot but also because all pure blooded Saiyans (Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta, Tullece...) call him the same way.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 am I've heard that they named the movies before they even wrote them. Whether that's true or not, most of them seem like it, as they're just a bunch of word salad in Japanese.
That was one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard regarding this show tbh. Like, I can't even wrap my head around such an illogical decision.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:54 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:41 am Dunno how unpopular this is but the English titles for the movies are way better than the Japanese ones. The Japanese titles read out like a generic episode while the English titles are short and to the point.
The English titles lack imagination. The Japanese titles give you just enough info on what the plot is about without giving away too much. Just throwing around the villains names is lazy.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:29 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:54 pm
The English titles lack imagination. The Japanese titles give you just enough info on what the plot is about without giving away too much. Just throwing around the villains names is lazy.
A Super Decisive Battle for Earth’ is a pretty vague title for a DBZ movie.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:29 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:54 pm
A Super Decisive Battle for Earth’ is a pretty vague title for a DBZ movie.
It gives just enough info about the plot without giving away too much. It's a huge battle for the entire Earth. In the story, Tullece is attacking the planet Earth itself with the Tree. Everything revolves around the Earth in that film.

I didn't say they weren't vague titles.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:08 am

Gogeta in DBS Broly was totally a fanservice, Goku and much less Vegeta should have never accepted to do the fusion with their saiyan pride. It's totally out of character for them to do that against another SAIYAN who is using purely his own strenght.
The fusions against Majin Buu and Zamasu were understandable because they were villains that also use fusion/absorptions.
Two saiyans admitting they have to fuse to beat another saiyan is really bad. It doesn't matter how strong Broly is.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:47 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:58 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 am I've heard that they named the movies before they even wrote them. Whether that's true or not, most of them seem like it, as they're just a bunch of word salad in Japanese.
That was one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard regarding this show tbh. Like, I can't even wrap my head around such an illogical decision.
We can agree on the word salad titles, though, right?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:47 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:58 pm
We can agree on the word salad titles, though, right?
Well yeah, they were pretty damn vague.
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 am It gives just enough info about the plot without giving away too much. It's a huge battle for the entire Earth. In the story, Tullece is attacking the planet Earth itself with the Tree. Everything revolves around the Earth in that film.

I didn't say they weren't vague titles.
That bland title could have applied to movie 4 or movie 9.