Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:23 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Babidi and Paragus are the most underrated villains in the franchise.
Paragus is criminally underrated, he's got an actual motivation for what he's doing and I love the fact he uses the "actual" Legendary Super Saiyan to break Vegeta's spirit without so much as touching the guy.
I actually think he's a somewhat morally grey character, at least when it comes to DB villains. Didn't even seem like a bad father for Saiyan standards.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Babidi and Paragus are the most underrated villains in the franchise.
Paragus is criminally underrated, he's got an actual motivation for what he's doing and I love the fact he uses the "actual" Legendary Super Saiyan to break Vegeta's spirit without so much as touching the guy.
I actually think he's a somewhat morally grey character, at least when it comes to DB villains. Didn't even seem like a bad father for Saiyan standards.
The fact he actually cares about his kid enough to beg for his life definitely makes him stand out from the rest of them. You'd never see Bardock do that for Goku if he was in that position.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
The fact he actually cares about his kid enough to beg for his life definitely makes him stand out from the rest of them. You'd never see Bardock do that for Goku if he was in that position.
Dragon Ball Minus.

That's all.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Watch BoG again.
I've seen it twice, and I didn't like it as much. I didn't like how the plot wasn't quite clear. Beerus comes to Earth and needs to be kept calm, but for how long? Until Goku comes and takes the spotlight? At least 'F' was focused solely on "Freeza's back, and he's zeroing in on revenge. Oh, and he's god-tier, too, so it's over, guys!" I easily saw Freeza as the main character of the film (I'd need to rewatch the arc, but it seemed more Freeza/Goku/Vegeta-centered).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Beerus comes to Earth and needs to be kept calm, but for how long?
Until the party ends, he doesn't find the SSG, and leaves? This was made clear. Beerus said he wouldn't destroy Earth and would leave as long as he wasn't annoyed.
Until Goku comes and takes the spotlight? At least 'F' was focused solely on "Freeza's back, and he's zeroing in on revenge. Oh, and he's god-tier, too, so it's over, guys!" I easily saw Freeza as the main character of the film (I'd need to rewatch the arc, but it seemed more Freeza/Goku/Vegeta-centered).
Completely disagree, the arc was much more Freeza-centered than the movie ever tried to be. The movie just revived him and put him straight in the battle. The arc actually tried to give some depth to his training and the situation of his army before and after his revival.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Dragon Ball Minus.

That's all.
I ordinarily am not a prick when it comes to canon, as I loathe the very concept, but for Minus I make a special exception, it can go fuck itself, the TV special is what counts as Bardock's actual personality.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:29 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Well, I actually think King Vegeta would do that. But he's royalty, so he probably doesn't count, he (and Vegeta) always seemed much more civilized than the rest.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:Well, I actually think King Vegeta would do that. But he's royalty, so he probably doesn't count, he (and Vegeta) always seemed much more civilized than the rest.
I always figured he'd do it just for the sake of protecting his heir rather than any love. This could be one-sided but Vegeta certainly didn't care about him or the rest of his kind very much, Bulma and Trunks might be the first people in his family he actually cares about but that's debatable at best.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Watch BoG again.
I've seen it twice, and I didn't like it as much. I didn't like how the plot wasn't quite clear. Beerus comes to Earth and needs to be kept calm, but for how long? Until Goku comes and takes the spotlight? At least 'F' was focused solely on "Freeza's back, and he's zeroing in on revenge. Oh, and he's god-tier, too, so it's over, guys!" I easily saw Freeza as the main character of the film (I'd need to rewatch the arc, but it seemed more Freeza/Goku/Vegeta-centered).
The plot wasn't clear? Are you saying that you dislike it because the whole movie isn't transparent from the start? Normally, one would consider that a good thing, but whatever floats your boat.

RoF commits far greater sins. Continuity errors, louzy direction. No explanation as to why the Freeza army is having problems, or why Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis. Flat (both literally and figuratively) animation, as if any creativity was bleached out of the movie. Bare-bones plot, and worst of all, it's impact in the world of DB History as a whole is non-existent. They may as well have made "Garlic Jr. Part 3".
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:35 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Well, I actually think King Vegeta would do that. But he's royalty, so he probably doesn't count, he (and Vegeta) always seemed much more civilized than the rest.
I always figured he'd do it just for the sake of protecting his heir rather than any love. This could be one-sided but Vegeta certainly didn't care about him or the rest of his kind very much, Bulma and Trunks might be the first people in his family he actually cares about but that's debatable at best.
Yeah, I don't think he'd do it out of love, and I too think it'd be a one-sided deal, but I still think he'd be down to do something like that. He never had as much pride as Vegeta did, if him bowing to Beerus is of any indication.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Well, I just finished the movie and I have to say...
Resurrection 'F' is the best Dragon Ball Z movie to date.
[spoiler]Pls no kill :P[/spoiler]
Why ? What did you like about ? What makes it better then the other Dragon Ball movies ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Dragon Ball Minus.

That's all.
I ordinarily am not a prick when it comes to canon, as I loathe the very concept, but for Minus I make a special exception, it can go fuck itself, the TV special is what counts as Bardock's actual personality.
So, the point presented is wrong because you don't like the material?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Kanassa wrote:So, the point presented is wrong because you don't like the material?
The point itself wouldn't be bad if Toriyama bothered to actually make one. You can make Bardock being a softer character work, Toriyama just didn't give enough of a fuck to try and do so. As Mistare Fusion put it, it's nothing but a glorified set of bullet points barely made into something resembling a story. The TV special is a complete story from beginning to end about a worthless grunt who tries to change his fate and fails miserably because he's still a worthless grunt.

There's also the fact Minus craps on a good aspect of the Goku vs Vegeta fight from the Saiyan arc. Goku's people all cast him aside because he was worthless trash and through hard work and determination, he comes back 25 years later and metaphorically flips them all off when he starts beating the shit out of their super elite crown prince. Even if Minus was an actual story, you'd be very hard presented to have it not lessen this particular fight.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:So, the point presented is wrong because you don't like the material?
The point itself wouldn't be bad if Toriyama bothered to actually make one. You can make Bardock being a softer character work, Toriyama just didn't give enough of a fuck to try and do so. As Mistare Fusion put it, it's nothing but a glorified set of bullet points barely made into something resembling a story. The TV special is a complete story from beginning to end about a worthless grunt who tries to change his fate and fails miserably because he's still a worthless grunt.

There's also the fact Minus craps on a good aspect of the Goku vs Vegeta fight from the Saiyan arc. Goku's people all cast him aside because he was worthless trash and through hard work and determination, he comes back 25 years later and metaphorically flips them all off when he starts beating the shit out of their super elite crown prince. Even if Minus was an actual story, you'd be very hard presented to have it not lessen this particular fight.
None of this goes against what I said.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

It feels like an addendum to the Bardock Special from someone who hadn't seen it in at least 15 years. I expect that that's exactly what it was.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Kanassa wrote:None of this goes against what I said.
The point presented is bad because the material that's meant to support it is bad. The potential of a good, softer Bardock and Gine story exists, but until something comes along to capitalize on the potential, I'll judge it based on what we've got so far and what we have is utter shit. It's the same reason I don't magically let Resurrection F off the hook for being a bad movie/arc despite thinking Freeza's return has great potential for developing him and the main cast.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:None of this goes against what I said.
The point presented is bad because the material that's meant to support it is bad.
The point presented was that Minus shows that Bardock could be one to beg for his sons safety, whether you like minus or not does not prove or disprove the point, nor make the point itself bad.

Kanassa wrote:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:Until the party ends, he doesn't find the SSG, and leaves? This was made clear. Beerus said he wouldn't destroy Earth and would leave as long as he wasn't annoyed.
Which is... a really bad plot. The constant threatening ("Fine, I'll destroy Earth, then!") doesn't help either.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:RoF commits far greater sins. Continuity errors, louzy direction. No explanation as to why the Freeza army is having problems, or why Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis. Flat (both literally and figuratively) animation, as if any creativity was bleached out of the movie. Bare-bones plot, and worst of all, it's impact in the world of DB History as a whole is non-existent. They may as well have made "Garlic Jr. Part 3".
What continuity errors? And what lousy direction? Freeza's army was having problems because it lacked proper leadership. Sorbet was doing what he could. I'll give you the Whis thing. And the animation looked great to me, minus the 3D. The plot is clearly defined. And BOG was what lacked impact. Goku gained literally nothing. 'F' gave him an understanding of what really happens when he doesn't get the job done when he should. Blame Super for not utilizing that. Finally, Garlic Jr. has nothing to do with this.
Soppa Saia People wrote:Why ? What did you like about ? What makes it better then the other Dragon Ball movies ?
Well, Freeza is my favorite character, so of course I like that they brought him back. As I briefly touched on above, it actually affects the characters in some way. The (2D) animation is really great in my opinion. I also admire even the little things such as the outfits, forms, and locations (well, the battleground, mostly).
MyAnimeList | AniList

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Until the party ends, he doesn't find the SSG, and leaves? This was made clear. Beerus said he wouldn't destroy Earth and would leave as long as he wasn't annoyed.
Which is... a really bad plot. The constant threatening ("Fine, I'll destroy Earth, then!") doesn't help either.
Beerus was legitimately going to destroy the Earth if he got annoyed, though.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Beerus was legitimately going to destroy the Earth if he got annoyed, though.
While I do appreciate those high stakes, it was cheap. They should've had him threaten to destroy different things, working his way up to the planet.
MyAnimeList | AniList