Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Izanagi wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 pm The Dragon Ball fandom chiefly hates Ribrianne because she is pink, hyper-feminine and overweight. All things that the obnoxious, testosterone obsessed dudebros that make up much of the casual and even hardcore fandom for Dragon Ball and much of the anime community despises.

And before anyone tries to "not all!" me or argue, yes, there are legitimate reasons to not like Ribrianne, fair enough. But between the fat shaming jokes and focus on her "hideous" appearance, and the sheer cartoonish levels of vitriol aimed at her that other disliked characters don't get to nearly the same extent (except for Caulifla and Kale by much of the same people), it's transparently obvious that the hate goes well beyond simple "bad character" complaints.

It's even more mind-boggling that Broly went from someone who was barely above Namek arc Goku to beyond SSB in a single fight, in a matter of a few minutes and nobody sees an issue with it. In fact, they're praising him for being overpowered.

But when Caulifla and Kale goes from a level above Base Goku after training Whis to roughly around SSB and SS2 tier, then the whole Dragon Ball fandom goes apeshit.

This fandom has a toxic masculinity problem. It has for a long time. And it's something people really need to start having conversations about and doing some self-reflecting on. Or you can all just call me a contrarian and a SJW snowflake, I guess.
Ohohohoho, believe me, you are absolutely correct. Read through any of the political topics in this forum, these sorts of idiots keep popping up.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Izanagi wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 pm The Dragon Ball fandom chiefly hates Ribrianne because she is pink, hyper-feminine and overweight. All things that the obnoxious, testosterone obsessed dudebros that make up much of the casual and even hardcore fandom for Dragon Ball and much of the anime community despises.

And before anyone tries to "not all!" me or argue, yes, there are legitimate reasons to not like Ribrianne, fair enough. But between the fat shaming jokes and focus on her "hideous" appearance, and the sheer cartoonish levels of vitriol aimed at her that other disliked characters don't get to nearly the same extent (except for Caulifla and Kale by much of the same people), it's transparently obvious that the hate goes well beyond simple "bad character" complaints.

It's even more mind-boggling that Broly went from someone who was barely above Namek arc Goku to beyond SSB in a single fight, in a matter of a few minutes and nobody sees an issue with it. In fact, they're praising him for being overpowered.

But when Caulifla and Kale goes from a level above Base Goku after training Whis to roughly around SSB and SS2 tier, then the whole Dragon Ball fandom goes apeshit.

This fandom has a toxic masculinity problem. It has for a long time. And it's something people really need to start having conversations about and doing some self-reflecting on. Or you can all just call me a contrarian and a SJW snowflake, I guess.
None of this sounds wrong to me.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 am

Hit the nail on the head there. The best example is that there are several other characters who share traits with Ribrianne and yet are all popular in their own right. To give a couple of examples, there's the Ginyu Force, Fat Buu, Jaco and Toppo, who originated in the same arc. What do they all have in common that she doesn't?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 am

Yeah sure, let's blame it on gender. Not on badly written characters.
If there was a gender issue in the community Bulma, Videl, 18 would get constantly shit on. But guess what? They don't.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 am

Jord wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 am If there was a gender issue in the community Bulma, Videl, 18 would get constantly shit on.
Not necessarily, no. It doesn't take all women being shit upon for there to be an issue with gender. It just takes one. Or sometimes none.

Also Bulma, Videl, and 18 aren't constantly shit on within the fandom? Really tho bro?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 am
Also Bulma, Videl, and 18 aren't constantly shit on within the fandom? Really tho bro?
Bulma has been berated by fans, but I don’t think Videl nor 18 have as many haters. Maybe it’s because they find em attractive :roll:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 am

Jord wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 am If there was a gender issue in the community Bulma, Videl, 18 would get constantly shit on.
Not necessarily, no. It doesn't take all women being shit upon for there to be an issue with gender. It just takes one. Or sometimes none.

There are lots of male characters that get on too.
By your logic there's a male gender issue as well.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 am
Bulma has been berated by fans, but I don’t think Videl nor 18 have as many haters. Maybe it’s because they find em attractive :roll:
18 isn’t berated because she’s the “ideal waifu” character . She’s the hot strong lady who marries the lovable loser character and adores him. Even though she wears the pants in the family she never emasculates Kuririn and just lets him go out to battles she would be more much more useful in. And that’s not a knock on 18, I love 18 but there’s a reason why she doesn’t get the kind of contempt Kale and Caulifa do and its not because the latter two are bad characters.

And Videl apparently got her personality knocked out of her after the Spopovitch fight. Hard to berate a character who smiles, looks pretty, coos over Pan, and cheers on Gohan.

And Bulma, got way more popular when she became the anti-Chi Chi who lets her husband train all day. Because fans just ignore Bulma has cooks and maids and a trust fund and a massive complex she lives in and Chi Chi…doesn’t.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:45 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 am
No. What I meant is that the women or woman being shit upon is targeted because of their womanhood. Male characters being shit on is not done because of their sex or gender.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:53 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:45 pm
Jord wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 am

No. What I meant is that the women or woman being shit upon is targeted because of their womanhood. Male characters being shit on is not done because of their sex or gender.
Exactly, way too often I see female characters getting shit on just for being female(same with trans and minority characters) and not for anything the characters actually did. The few times it is because of what the character, it tends to turn ugly anyways(I.E. the whole discourse surrounding Abby from Last of Us 2).

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 am

Another one for me is that the Red Ribbon Army arc was every bit as much Goku Time, moreso even, than Dragon Ball GT. Just executed better. But most of the complaints I see about too much Goku or Goku is too powerful almost never mention the RRA saga.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:05 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 am Another one for me is that the Red Ribbon Army arc was every bit as much Goku Time, moreso even, than Dragon Ball GT. Just executed better. But most of the complaints I see about too much Goku or Goku is too powerful almost never mention the RRA saga.
That's probably because there was no "Z-Soldiers" back then, so no one could complain about their favorites being ignored or overshadowed by Goku.

I like that the Red Ribbon Saga has Goku on solo adventures because it's a nice change of pace and there's a lot to appreciate in taking the "lone warrior" approach with the story. It also allows more room to introduce supporting characters like Sno and Hacchan, Bora and Upa, etc.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 am

Ultra Instinct is better than Super Saiyan

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 am Another one for me is that the Red Ribbon Army arc was every bit as much Goku Time, moreso even, than Dragon Ball GT. Just executed better. But most of the complaints I see about too much Goku or Goku is too powerful almost never mention the RRA saga.
King piccolo arc too to an extent. but 'weirdly' its only sometimes that its a bad thing i guess

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:26 pm

DSB wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 am Ultra Instinct is better than Super Saiyan
This is technically a fact. The state of UI makes Goku better at fighting than Super Saiyan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:57 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:23 pm
King piccolo arc too to an extent. but 'weirdly' its only sometimes that its a bad thing i guess
The Piccolo Daimao arc gave a lot of meat to Tenshinhan and Roshi as well.

Regardless, complaining about Dragon Ball giving too much focus to Goku is plain dumb and shows a complete misunderstanding of what the series is about.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:57 pm The Piccolo Daimao arc gave a lot of meat to Tenshinhan and Roshi as well.

Regardless, complaining about Dragon Ball giving too much focus to Goku is plain dumb and shows a complete misunderstanding of what the series is about.
Dragon Ball fans misunderstanding what the series or its characters are about? Blasphemy.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:58 pm

The first part of Dragon Ball was about Goku's journey of becoming a great martial artist so of course battles would tend to gravitate in his favor, but he wasn't alone in it. GT had Goku cconstantly saving the day without anyone's help.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:22 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:58 pm
The first part of Dragon Ball was about Goku's journey of becoming a great martial artist so of course battles would tend to gravitate in his favor, but he wasn't alone in it. GT had Goku cconstantly saving the day without anyone's help.
And GT was about Goku .

It’s almost like Goku is the main character. I know a crazy thought to say the least.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:41 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:58 pm
That still doesn't change the fact that the Red Ribbon Army was there to fully show off Goku in all his glory, same as GT. It served the same purpose of propping him up as the main character of Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.