Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:38 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:27 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 pm But she's not just a joke. She has some really good fights in the tournament. Unlike Great Saiyaman who is just a joke that goes on WAY too long and we don't get any good fights.
Saiyaman isn't a martial artist, he's a superhero crimefighter. His stories aren't about good fights, they're about stopping crime and the trials of maintaining a dual identity.
But Gohan is a martial artist. I know his stories aren't about good fights, and that's an issue when DB is a martial arts story. As a superhero story it's also terrible as he has no weakness and the stories have no stakes. If he can't maintain his identity, what happens? Nothing.
Ribrianne's annoying antics go on for way too long, which overshadows her fights being decent. Everytime she and her crew are onscreen the action comes to a screeching halt, and I roll my eyes.
I respectfully disagree. The action slows down for a second then roars back. There is no action when Saiyaman is onscreen. I'll take that one note joke over Saiyaman's one note joke.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:52 pm

The comedy with Ribrianne worked for me and it’s not like the story stopped dead just to focus on her. There was so much going on it’s not like those episodes revolved solely around her.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:24 am

I agree Ribrianne was fine. We never had an antagonist that was a magical girl parody. I would take new ideas like that over cool looking, but stoic, bland antagonists like Hit anyday.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Ribrianne was better than Jiren in every possible aspect. But again, that's not really a compliment. Still, Ribrianne was one of the very few good things about entire ToP arc.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Jiren is an awesome character. That is my unpopular opinion.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:51 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:24 am I agree Ribrianne was fine. We never had an antagonist that was a magical girl parody. I would take new ideas like that over cool looking, but stoic, bland antagonists like Hit anyday.
Hit is not bland, I'm mean not bland like Jiren. We even had a filler like episode where it shows how he does his job as assasin.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:39 pm I don't get the love for Goten? I always felt like that he was created because they need another kid to replace Gohan with.
Well Goten is a mini version of Goku so how can someone not like him? He’s adorable. But also I think probably most of people who like Goten really mean they like “Goten and Trunks”. And Goten and Trunks are awsome too. They're really funny and gave a lighter tone to the whole Buu arc

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:02 am

And as we all know "lighter" IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

But seriously I agree and I think its awesome that you put it in words like that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:08 am

Yeah Goten is cute, but he doesn't really do much. At times it feels like he is there just so Trunks could have someone else to bounce off of instead of being his own person.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:13 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:08 am Yeah Goten is cute, but he doesn't really do much. At times it feels like he is there just so Trunks could have someone else to bounce off of instead of being his own person.
I think that’s exactly why he was there tbh.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:13 am

Yeah exactly. Toriyama likes to introduce and write characters in pairs, to let them bounce off each other.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:22 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:02 am awesome that you put it in words like that.
Lol thank you

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:08 am Yeah Goten is cute, but he doesn't really do much. At times it feels like he is there just so Trunks could have someone else to bounce off of instead of being his own person.
But that’s what’s fun. Them bouncing off each other lol. I mean it's effective. He did have fun scenes with Gohan too. Like when they go training and also when Gohan teaches Videl to fly, Goten was pretty funny. I like him in general. Him individually probably would be more entertaining than kid Trunks individually now that I think about it.
But yeah, some characters are made to function in pairs and I think that’s cool to have, adds dynamism to the series

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:31 am

nhienphan2808 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:13 am Yeah exactly. Toriyama likes to introduce and write characters in pairs, to let them bounce off each other.
Yeah I’m really a fan of this, he does it really well. Like Beerus and Whis. Their dynamic was literally the FIRST thing that I loved from Super when I saw it for the first time and has remained as one of my favorite new elements of DB.

Also not an “introduction” for either character but Gohan and Krillin being paired in Namek was exciting to me for some reason, I like how they got along

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:21 am

Seems like Android 8/Eighter is well liked character, but I'm rereading the Red Ribbon Army arc (vol 4 of color manga), and find him really uninteresting? Don't really care about his pacifist nature, being afraid to fight, or the Frankenstein look. The whole character just doesn't work for me, and I'm glad he never shows up after this story (outside of occasional cameo here and there).

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:35 am

Gridlock wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:21 am Seems like Android 8/Eighter is well liked character, but I'm rereading the Red Ribbon Army arc (vol 4 of color manga), and find him really uninteresting? Don't really care about his pacifist nature, being afraid to fight, or the Frankenstein look. The whole character just doesn't work for me, and I'm glad he never shows up after this story (outside of occasional cameo here and there).
I also think he should been developed better, It sometimes crossed my mind that considering the Android arc is somewhat a sequel to the RR arc, he could have appeared.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:08 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:35 am
Gridlock wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:21 am Seems like Android 8/Eighter is well liked character, but I'm rereading the Red Ribbon Army arc (vol 4 of color manga), and find him really uninteresting? Don't really care about his pacifist nature, being afraid to fight, or the Frankenstein look. The whole character just doesn't work for me, and I'm glad he never shows up after this story (outside of occasional cameo here and there).
I also think he should been developed better, It sometimes crossed my mind that considering the Android arc is somewhat a sequel to the RR arc, he could have appeared.
MistareFusion suggested that he could’ve served #16’s role in the story, which certainly could’ve been interesting. It would’ve given his death more of an emotional impact.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Hacchan was mostly a gag character. I don't think that there was supposed to be much more going on with him than what we saw.

I can't really imagine #8 replacing #16 in the Cell saga. Not without some kind of redesign or character development. Things are too serious at that point to have a goofy character like him hanging around the battlefield or whatever.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:06 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:23 pm Hacchan was mostly a gag character. I don't think that there was supposed to be much more going on with him than what we saw.

I can't really imagine #8 replacing #16 in the Cell saga. Not without some kind of redesign or character development. Things are too serious at that point to have a goofy character like him hanging around the battlefield or whatever.
This. His Boris Karloff Frankenstein design would have been more distracting than anything.

Also the giant leaps in logic of how he went from definitely being weaker than Piccolo Daimao to stronger than Imperfect Cell when he’s a pacifist and doesn’t have the “I trained in my off time” handwave that fans already hated for Freeza and #17

Not to mention a character whose basically been absent for 5-6 years in real time being brought back just to be killed off really isn’t anymore impactful than a character who was introduced in the arc being killed off in the same arc.

Gohan: Oh no Hachan! The cyborg my dad met as a kid and never talked about before has been killed! [Screams in Super Saiyan 2]

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Ha-chan was a fine, serviceable gag character who at the very least made the Muscle Tower section of the RRA saga a bit more enjoyable.
Him punching General White back to Norilsk was one of my favorite moments in Muscle Tower tbh (behind the Murasaki stuff, obviously).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:06 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:23 pm Hacchan was mostly a gag character. I don't think that there was supposed to be much more going on with him than what we saw.

This. His Boris Karloff Frankenstein design would have been more distracting than anything.

Also the giant leaps in logic of how he went from definitely being weaker than Piccolo Daimao to stronger than Imperfect Cell when he’s a pacifist and doesn’t have the “I trained in my off time” handwave that fans already hated for Freeza and #17

Not to mention a character whose basically been absent for 5-6 years in real time being brought back just to be killed off really isn’t anymore impactful than a character who was introduced in the arc being killed off in the same arc.

Gohan: Oh no Hachan! The cyborg my dad met as a kid and never talked about before has been killed! [Screams in Super Saiyan 2]
Regarding his strength, the simple explanation in this hypothetical scenario would be that Dr. Gero reprogrammed him and made him stronger.