Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:02 am

My god, imagine being so incensed that some people don't like some of the things you like that you spend 4 years and several accounts arguing with people on a kung-fu cartoon forum that your opinions are based on some vaguely defined objective fact and everyone else's isn't. :crazy:

You'd think he'd learn after 4 years of this that insisting people who don't agree with you are all insecure and ugly and "PC Relativists" isn't a very effective means of persuasion.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:08 amSame analogy and frequent use of "relativism" and yup, ABED and Logan were arguing him there too!

EDIT: IT AINT OVA MUTHAFUCKA

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40640&p=1556019&hi ... y#p1556019

this guy has been doing this for four damn years!!!!
That shows a lot of dedication if he's been making the same argument across at least four different accounts. He's doing Kami's work. Maybe one day after the tenth account we'll learn to appreciate his objective reality and beauty standards.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:02 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he's banned already. I was hoping for an epic shitfuck meltdown. :(
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:16 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:02 pm Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he's banned already. I was hoping for an epic shitfuck meltdown. :(
It was because he was using an alternate account?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DLJL731980
Banned

Post by DLJL731980 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:09 am

I hate the Majin Vegeta storyline and I don’t think it’s as good as every other fan says it is.

I hated it ever since so first watched the arc sometime around 2002 in after it first aired on Toonami in America and made quit watching DBZ.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm There's a reason Japan is the only dub to have an adult woman voice for Goku.....
I've heard that the French dub of Dragon Ball did keep Kid Goku's voice actress when he became an adult. Beginning with Dragon Ball Z, Adult Goku was voiced by a man.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:55 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm
McDonaldsGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm There's a reason Japan is the only dub to have an adult woman voice for Goku.....
I've heard that the French dub of Dragon Ball did keep Kid Goku's voice actress when he became an adult. Beginning with Dragon Ball Z, Adult Goku was voiced by a man.
But they changed the actor for a man in Z so it still applies that Japan is the only country to keep Goku voiced by a woman

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:55 pm
Gilby1385 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm
But they changed the actor for a man in Z so it still applies that Japan is the only country to keep Goku voiced by a woman
Well, you do have a point there.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:58 pm

I'll be completely honest here when it comes to Goku being voiced by a woman. In Japan, they did it because Nozawa had been voicing him since he was a kid & they didn't want to replace her for the timeskip. Same with Krillin, Yajirobe, & other characters. This happens a lot in anime. Naruto has it, One Piece has it, pretty sure Hunter x Hunter does too, etc. Very rarely will the studios recast actresses if they can make themselves sound male enough so that it doesn't sound jarring, as well as probably reasons of auditory continuity, working with people they already have on the payroll & like, as well as other reasons. If Toei wanted to recast her, or there were any other reasons to do it, I feel they would've by now.
Nothing wrong with that, I can respect it.

Rarely, however, is this done in Western animation. Even the women of the industry who can make themselves sound as believable as possible end up getting replaced as their characters get older. One of the best examples in the Western voice acting industry that I can think of is Tara Strong. She's played many male characters in cartoons, the most famous being Timmy Turner & Ben 10. However, when Ben was aged up to 15 in Alien Force, she was replaced by Yuri Lowenthal & a future version of Timmy was voiced by Alec Baldwin, although Tara was allowed to play other older versions of Timmy at other points. In the Ben 10 franchise, she'd go on to still voice young Ben in the original continuity's sequels, as well as a younger alternate dimension version of him in Omniverse & Ben's doppelganger Albedo when he was transformed into Ben's younger body due to DNA altering shenanigans (makes sense in context). This is mainly because her young male voice works for kids before puberty, but not for when they get older. Most women's voices are like this no matter their range of voices. Tara herself has even talked about this.
There have been other examples, but I think Tara's one of the best examples I can bring up as I said. The same can also be said for Stephanie Nadolny as kid Gohan, who was replaced by Kyle Hebert for teen & adult Gohan in the dubs.

And since I've brought him up, let's talk about the reverse. Yuri Lowenthal has a distinctly deep male voice he uses when voice acting & he can make himself sound younger, but it's only to a point & when he voices a kid Sasuke in Naruto, it sounds...off. Like, too deep & it can take you out of the moments. The JP voice actor for Trunks in DB is very much the same. When he plays teen & adult Trunks, it's fine because they casted him specifically for that version of the character, then decided it'd be a good idea for him to be kept for the kid versions of the character. And it's a bit distracting.

See, imo, to cast like that kind of only really works one way (the women for the young boys becoming men) rather than the other. I can only think of 1 instance in Western anime dubbing where it works &/or I don't actually mind it & that's Maile Flannigan as Naruto. Her voice already sounded male enough when Naruto was a teenager that it's not out of place for her to just deepen it more & continue playing him as an adult.

Also, to say this, the Japanese dub of Evolution had a male VA dub over Goku since it'd be out of place for a female voice to come out of Justin Chatwin's mouth.

I think I've said this before here, but I personally don't care much for Nozawa as Goku. Like, I respect her enough & I can get over it when watching a clip or an episode of the JP dub of the material, but for me, she's not my ideal Goku. It doesn't help that the most material I've heard her in is Super, where the writers decided Goku was a child in a man's body & wrote the majority of his dialogue as such, so she had to play that up to try to make the dialogue work as best she should. And before anyone asks, no, that's not Goku's character, that's Monkey D. Luffy's. It doesn't help that she's also voicing Gohan & Goten. The differences are so minor in regards to the performances that it's not always noticeable & it can become annoying fast if they're in the same scenes together. Her playing every male member of Goku's family minus Raditz, to me, wasn't a great idea. I give a bit of an exception to Bardock, though, because her initial performance of him in the original TV special was very much needed in a setting so different from the usual DB fare & it let her stretch her acting legs a bit to play someone so different from Goku. Her performance as Goku Black, though, was brilliant. She gave an absolutely stellar performance for him, enough that I actually judged Sean Schemmel's performance against hers, which I try not to do a lot. Granted, I think Sean only really grasped how to actually play Goku Black about halfway through the arc & his later performances in XV2's later DLC & FighterZ is so much better. It's also a fail on the ADR director's part because they need to keep overall consistency in regards to the performances & I don't think they were able to do that for him, unfortunately.

So, yeah. I don't know if any of that makes sense, or is as coherent as I think it is, but that's my whole thought on this matter.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:10 am

The Moro arc is better than the current maga arc in DBS. The current arc is a hot mess of bad rectons and boring villains. Moro may not be original, but at least they try to do something original with him by having use magical powers instead of raw brutal force like other DB villains do. Also, the Moro arc made Buu feel more useful again and we got to see Planet Yardrat again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:34 am

Lord Slug was cool and we need more evil namkes.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:52 pm

Drepanosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:34 am Lord Slug was cool and we need more evil namkes.
How about the ones in the Tournament of Power? Don't remember now if they were actually evil, but I liked that their dinamics while fighting Gohan and Piccolo.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:02 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:52 pm
Drepanosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:34 am Lord Slug was cool and we need more evil nameks.
How about the ones in the Tournament of Power? Don't remember now if they were actually evil, but I liked that their dynamics while fighting Gohan and Piccolo.
Like most everyone else there, they were fighting for their universe's survival, not because they were evil, I believe.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:56 pm

DLJL731980 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:09 am I hate the Majin Vegeta storyline and I don’t think it’s as good as every other fan says it is.

I hated it ever since so first watched the arc sometime around 2002 in after it first aired on Toonami in America and made quit watching DBZ.
Yeah I think Mike had some lady on the pod who talked about how the whole thing was Vegetas worst moment and him having a mid life crisis haha, it ruled.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm

Although some may think it's over the top, I kinda like the fan design of Super Saiyan 5 Goku.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu May 19, 2022 8:25 am

Noah wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm Although some may think it's over the top, I kinda like the fan design of Super Saiyan 5 Goku.
In the same vein as this, I really love Super Saiyan 6
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:37 pm

Draconic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:25 am
Noah wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 pm Although some may think it's over the top, I kinda like the fan design of Super Saiyan 5 Goku.
In the same vein as this, I really love Super Saiyan 6
Yeah, at that point it was natural to think that if we ever got a new anime series it would choose the path of recoloring SSJ4 (with a few adds) as new transformations instead of common SSJ. I got used to the Godly forms, but I feel only Ultra Instinct (Omen) was different from anything DB has presented before.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:47 pm

I don’t know how many people even care about either of these games at this point, but I’ll just go ahead and say that I think Infinite World is a better game than Budokai 3. The only things Budokai 3 really has over it are beam struggles and a tournament mode.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:34 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:47 pm I don’t know how many people even care about either of these games at this point, but I’ll just go ahead and say that I think Infinite World is a better game than Budokai 3. The only things Budokai 3 really has over it are beam struggles and a tournament mode.
It is. Although i'm still not fan of it, never been fan of Budokai gameplay. But Infinite World is easily the best of series.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 am

All of Kageyama's songs from the video games (Final Bout onwards) are leagues better than both of Dragon Ball Z's opening theme songs.