Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: yea that sounds the most overused argument to defend Bad practices like DBZ's Funimation Dub.
You find every chance you get to bash the old dub like a broken record.

I'm not defending it. I just dont see the point in saying "why doesnt this character in the dub sound like the original voice" because they dont have to.
you are always waiting for my posts on Z Dub as usual, i see.

FUNimation dub of DBZ is objectively bad. the original Ocean Dub voice actors were union and they were the VA that FUNimation originally chose. They only got different people later because they ran out of funding and had to use amateurs from streets of Texas. that's when we got people like Sean Schemmel, etc.

The "objectivity" is in the Budget, Accuracy and Creator involvement - i want to watch the same show and FUNimation's doesn't give me that, versus Japanese version. while dubs of shows like One Piece (Funimation), Naruto, Fairy Tail, Deathnote, Code Geass, Bleach and JoJo are way better acted and incredibly well acted to the point that even in English we are getting the same show.


this is not bashing but just stating facts. all of the dubs of the anime i mentioned are competent. the fact that even in 2018 people still ranking DBZ dub as best is like showing a middle finger to Funimation's effort of dubbing DB Kai. what's the point of Kai if everyone ignores it and just follows Z dub as usual? there was this Channel where this girl used to react to DBZ from start in Japanese since she has only watched DBS in Japanese and on every video fans forced her to switch to dub to the point that she was forced to do it because of dub fans spamming comments like these. you see the current state of the franchise? people recommend Z dub because they have a nostalgic bias for it but don't understand that it's inaccurate. also if you think i have some kind of Hate boner for Dubs, let me tell you i like DBZ Kai English Dub. if someone wants to watch It in English then Kai is the way to go.

you are right they don't necessarily have to sound like Japanese but atleast capture the character or have somewhat similar pitch, English Dub Sasuke and Itachi don't sound like a blind copy of Japanese counterparts but they still feel like same type of characters in English. Madara English voice isn't some blind copy of Japanese one still it sounds more less like Japanese. English dub and Japanese Pain have different voices but the pitch is somewhat similar and tone of speaking is SAME.

The DB Dub Voices are mostly based on Only Appearance rather than the whole Character, Their Personality and their Original voices that's why in dub most character are turned into one-dimensional Generic Characters which is such a shame because in other dubs they take shit seriously.

don't tell me Sean Schemmel Kaio is more or less Yanami's Kaio, the Japanese one sounds like a Sage who has a sense of humour whereas the English one sounds like a babbling idiot with that annoying speaking tone of his. Japanese Piccolo sounds like a Demon with a mid range pitch voice which isn't too deep or high just perfect. whereas in English nowdays he sounds like a normal man speaking as if Sabat is trying speak in deep voice, there isn't that "Piccolo" thing in the voice. Scott McNeil atleast had that unique feel to his voice.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2709
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 am

As much as I disagree with Ripper on Schemmel, I do agree with the idea that the characters in the Funimation dub were different than the Japanese version.

Instead of being this proud and haughty Saiyan prince, Vegeta just sounded like an angry idiot who's always yelling and Bulma was this bitchy valley girl instead of being a spunky genius.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5327
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:30 am

Ripper 30 wrote:*snip*
I literally said in my post I’m not defending it. All I’m saying is, why not talk about something else? Every chance you get you’re bashing the dub and it’s frankly just annoying to see. There’s plenty of other interesting conversations to be had but you choose to return to this one time and time again. You’ve exhausted the topic and you’re just repeating yourself over and over.

I don’t care what dub fans do because I can probably fnd instances of sub fans doing the same type of thing on Yourube comments too (not that I read them anymore anyway). Cherry picking doesn’t help you at all.

User avatar
OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 pm

The series consistently treats Vegeta well and any complaints claiming Toriyama/Toei/whoever needs to be better to Vegeta are not based in actual reality.

Going off that, the concept of "getting the kill" is meaningless.
Check out my video game & Dragon Ball write-ups here: https://www.goombastomp.com/author/renan-fontes/

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 pm

I think Future Gohan's character is more like how Gohan should be instead of how he is now. The personality more specifically.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:08 am

OhHiRenan wrote:The series consistently treats Vegeta well and any complaints claiming Toriyama/Toei/whoever needs to be better to Vegeta are not based in actual reality.

Going off that, the concept of "getting the kill" is meaningless.
I don't think that is really that unpopular. Especially with Super not giving the "final kill" to Goku often if at all. (Or atleast he is rarely the sole victor on the matter.) Generally speaking Vegeta is treated very well and I think people that think otherwise may have misinterpreted things or be in denial or something but it just isn't the case that he is treated poorly.
Monna wrote:Monna has the best character design out of all DB characters.
This has to be hyberbole right? Like you don't literally think she has the best design?

As for unpopular opinions, I don't think that the power scaling in DBS is bad. Or atleast, not even remotely close to being as bad as people make it out to be.

User avatar
Monna
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Location: Universe 4

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Monna » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:46 am

PFM18 wrote:This has to be hyberbole right? Like you don't literally think she has the best design?
Why would it be hyperbole? It's an unpopular opinion and I have gotten ridiculed for it on a different forum but Monna is my favorite character without a doubt.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:43 am

PFM18 wrote: This has to be hyberbole right? Like you don't literally think she has the best design?
This thread is called "Unpopular DB opinions" for a reason even though this seem to be very unpopular and maybe even opinion of only single person in community but it's good to see every character being appreciated in some degree. But the more unpopular opinion the more interesting this topic is. I personally don't even know who this character is so it's totally interesting to me to see that someone actually think she has the best design.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Monna
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Location: Universe 4

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Monna » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:53 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:This thread is called "Unpopular DB opinions" for a reason even though this seem to be very unpopular and maybe even opinion of only single person in community but it's good to see every character being appreciated in some degree. But the more unpopular opinion the more interesting this topic is. I personally don't even know who this character is so it's totally interesting to me to see that someone actually think she has the best design.
You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:00 am

Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:This thread is called "Unpopular DB opinions" for a reason even though this seem to be very unpopular and maybe even opinion of only single person in community but it's good to see every character being appreciated in some degree. But the more unpopular opinion the more interesting this topic is. I personally don't even know who this character is so it's totally interesting to me to see that someone actually think she has the best design.
You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc. The same way I regret watching Zamasu saga in anime. If i knew how much better manga will be i'd just wait for it and actually enjoy it.
Last edited by sunsetshimmer on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Monna
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Location: Universe 4

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Monna » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:This thread is called "Unpopular DB opinions" for a reason even though this seem to be very unpopular and maybe even opinion of only single person in community but it's good to see every character being appreciated in some degree. But the more unpopular opinion the more interesting this topic is. I personally don't even know who this character is so it's totally interesting to me to see that someone actually think she has the best design.
You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc.
Quite honestly you disgust me. But this is the unpopular opinions thread so lol.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:03 am

Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote: You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc.
Quite honestly you disgust me. But this is the unpopular opinions thread so lol.
Well you are one who think fat green viking is the best character design so... :lol:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Monna
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Location: Universe 4

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Monna » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc.
Quite honestly you disgust me. But this is the unpopular opinions thread so lol.
Well you are one who think fat green viking is the best character design so... :lol:
and you are the degenerate who watches mlp

User avatar
Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:As much as I disagree with Ripper on Schemmel, I do agree with the idea that the characters in the Funimation dub were different than the Japanese version.

Instead of being this proud and haughty Saiyan prince, Vegeta just sounded like an angry idiot who's always yelling and Bulma was this bitchy valley girl instead of being a spunky genius.
Sabat has to always force his voice when he does vegeta and as you said about Bulma its pretty accurate. that's why the new voices from Kai onwards like that of Freeza, Beerus, Whis, Hit and Vados have been accurate.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17604
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:24 am

Sabat's Vegeta is fine. Yes, he's not using his normal voice, but neither was Kozo Shioya when he played Buu. Sabat sounds like an arrogant prick, which is who Vegeta is. He sounds perhaps angrier than Horikawa, but it's not an unjustified reading of the character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16564
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:30 am

Monna wrote:and you are the degenerate who watches mlp
This is a worthless comment that does not live up to the spirit of our community guidelines, and a strike has been issued against the user in question. Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.

All would do well to review said rules, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6142
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:37 am

Kokonoe wrote:I think Future Gohan's character is more like how Gohan should be instead of how he is now. The personality more specifically.
I would not say this is an unpopular opinion, I'm pretty sure most of us wanted Gohan to be a Future Gohan-type of character. Oh well... :(

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3003
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:05 am

I'm pretty excited for the Broly movie and all and with the money that its going to make, I'm SURE Super will be be back for at least one last hurrah. Knowing this though, I Dont want Dragon Ball to continue past where ever that "series" goes. The longer the franchise goes on, the more I start to appreciate how things come and go.

Sure Dragon Ball can be/is written in a way where it could always continue but do we really need it to continue? So much about the lore that we've come to know, love and accept has changed in the last five years, some for the better.. others.. eehh not so much.

I dont mind Video Games of course but the continuation of the main story past where it goes, next year or when ever we get a new show is what i'm afraid of. I feel like its going in a very DC-Marvel route when it comes to the whole Multiverse thing w/ multiple Goku's etc. Yeah this is mostly a Heroes thing at the moment but again that could always change. Essentially I don't want to be having Pre-crisis/Post crisis Goku discussions happening 15 years from now because Toei or Toriyama decided that they went waay too far off the deep end and decided to Reboot the original 26 volumes of the Manga.. No, No, NO! I dont want that.. Flaws and all I love my Dragon Ball.
Last edited by goku the krump dancer on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17604
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:I'm pretty excited for the Broly movie and all and with the money that its going to make, I'm SURE Super will be be back for at least one last hurrah. Knowing this though, I Dont want Dragon Ball to continue past where ever that "series" goes. The longer the franchise goes on, the more I start to appreciate how things come and go.

Sure Dragon Ball can be/is written in a way where it could always continue but do we really need to continue? So much about the lore that we've come to know, love and except has changed in the last five years, some for the better.. others.. eehh not so much.

I dont mind Video Games of course but the continuation of the main story past where it goes, next year or when ever we get a new show is what i'm afraid of. I feel like its going in a very DC-Marvel route when it comes to the whole Multiverse thing w/ multiple Goku's etc. Yeah this is mostly a Heroes thing at the moment but again that could always change. Essentially I dont want to be having Pre-crisis/Post crisis Goku discussions happening 15 years from now because Toei or Toriyama decided that they went waay too far off the deep end and decided to Reboot the original 26 volumes of the Manga.. No, No, NO! I dont want that.. Flaws and all I love my Dragon Ball.
I wholeheartedly agree.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:12 pm

I like the Mark Menza opening theme for DBZ that was used for the orange bricks and the movies. It’s not Cha La Head Cha La, but it’s a catchy tune in its own right, and unlike the other openings that FUNimation used, it doesn’t scream “Yeah! Hardcore!”

Post Reply