Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm

I think that the "personality" of bra / bura in gt was the right thing for the peaceful life that she had during the peacetime ... I know that many prefer that she have the personality of DBM but honestly I do not like it. I see little coherent and only an attempt to make it a vegeta girl without a reason

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:04 pm
DestructoDisc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:09 pm
Gotta also remember Pan was 9 in GT, so...ew...
Bulla was even younger, and was getting hit on by some adults in the episode where she went shopping with Vegeta. GT had some.. questionable moments to say the least.
Also a ton of missed potential, but that's not an unpopular opinion.
Why is there a ton of missed potential?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm

ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:04 pm
DestructoDisc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Bulla was even younger, and was getting hit on by some adults in the episode where she went shopping with Vegeta. GT had some.. questionable moments to say the least.
Also a ton of missed potential, but that's not an unpopular opinion.
Why is there a ton of missed potential?
Mainly with the story-telling, how some of the characters were portrayed, the tone of the show, & a few other things. GT had a LOT of great ideas. There's a reason why SS4 & the villains stand out amongst the ones in Dragon Ball. It had tighter pacing than Z, which was a plus, & it had stellar animation a lot of the time, but the writing needed some work. A lot of it's just shy of great.
For instance, some of the stuff with Baby. A lot of that was paced & written extremely well. However, 3 things. One, there was a random filler episode where Goku gets stuck in a Purgatory-type place playing a board game with a shape-shifting alien. There was absolutely no point to this (the alien literally only served a purpose later on by turning into a giant pair of pliers, but Kibitoshin could've made a pair if Supreme Kai made a giant block of the hardest mineral in the universe in Z). Next, the ending. Baby runs away because SS4 Goku & his getting powered up by everyone was enough to beat him & Goku kills him by blasting him into the Sun. Surely, you could have such a cool villain die in a less anti-climactic way. Third, the fact that it devolves into another Goku VS Vegeta fight. We got that twice in Z in 2 different arcs. Now, it's logical that Baby would possess Vegeta, but he could've gotten more powerful on his own, since he DID possess all of Earth's inhabitants except Mr. Satan, Pan, & Goku. Maybe he could absorb their techniques, energies, & knowledge to form a strat against Goku & use everyone else as pawns in a game of chess or something. Him bringing back Planet Vegeta was cool, but it's not really explored at all after the arc. And that's just that arc, but I think I've made my point.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Sorry, I thought you were just referring to Bra's potential. I agree that GT had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution. However, I was confused when I thought you were saying Bra had a ton of potential.

Although, Baby vs. Goku doesn't devolve into Goku vs. Vegeta. Baby-Vegeta may possess Vegeta, but at that point he bares zero resemblance to Vegeta so there's very little connection to that rivalry. I'm not being overly literal, it simply doesn't work the way you make it sound. Also, we've seen villains use the heroes' techniques against them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm
Sorry, I thought you were just referring to Bra's potential. I agree that GT had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution. However, I was confused when I thought you were saying Bra had a ton of potential.

Although, Baby vs. Goku doesn't devolve into Goku vs. Vegeta. Baby-Vegeta may possess Vegeta, but at that point he bares zero resemblance to Vegeta so there's very little connection to that rivalry. I'm not being overly literal, it simply doesn't work the way you make it sound. Also, we've seen villains use the heroes' techniques against them.
Oh, ok. She had missed potential too.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

Scsigs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm
ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm
Sorry, I thought you were just referring to Bra's potential. I agree that GT had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution. However, I was confused when I thought you were saying Bra had a ton of potential.

Although, Baby vs. Goku doesn't devolve into Goku vs. Vegeta. Baby-Vegeta may possess Vegeta, but at that point he bares zero resemblance to Vegeta so there's very little connection to that rivalry. I'm not being overly literal, it simply doesn't work the way you make it sound. Also, we've seen villains use the heroes' techniques against them.
Oh, ok. She had missed potential too.
How does she have potential?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 am

I can’t imagine what role Bra could’ve filled in the show. I guess it’s a bit strange that she completely disappeared from the anime after the Super 17 arc, but I think it’s a stretch to say that there was missed potential with her.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
Scsigs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm
ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm
Sorry, I thought you were just referring to Bra's potential. I agree that GT had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution. However, I was confused when I thought you were saying Bra had a ton of potential.

Although, Baby vs. Goku doesn't devolve into Goku vs. Vegeta. Baby-Vegeta may possess Vegeta, but at that point he bares zero resemblance to Vegeta so there's very little connection to that rivalry. I'm not being overly literal, it simply doesn't work the way you make it sound. Also, we've seen villains use the heroes' techniques against them.
Oh, ok. She had missed potential too.
How does she have potential?
I don't know. All I know is that she most likely wasn't used as she could've been. She was just kinda there. Though her getting Vegeta to shave that Moo-stache was awesome!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am
Scsigs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Oh, ok. She had missed potential too.
How does she have potential?
I don't know. All I know is that she most likely wasn't used as she could've been. She was just kinda there. Though her getting Vegeta to shave that Moo-stache was awesome!
Posit a scenario. The most I can see is her being a colorful side character who isn't a fighter, but still WAY stronger than your average human - basically Bulma if she was as strong as Wonder Woman. It would be a memorable character, but not one that gets any sort of spotlight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

How does she have potential?
I don't know. All I know is that she most likely wasn't used as she could've been. She was just kinda there. Though her getting Vegeta to shave that Moo-stache was awesome!
Posit a scenario. The most I can see is her being a colorful side character who isn't a fighter, but still WAY stronger than your average human - basically Bulma if she was as strong as Wonder Woman. It would be a memorable character, but not one that gets any sort of spotlight.
Except, at least Bulma got more things to do than just exist.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

How does she have potential?
I don't know. All I know is that she most likely wasn't used as she could've been. She was just kinda there. Though her getting Vegeta to shave that Moo-stache was awesome!
Posit a scenario. The most I can see is her being a colorful side character who isn't a fighter, but still WAY stronger than your average human - basically Bulma if she was as strong as Wonder Woman. It would be a memorable character, but not one that gets any sort of spotlight.
that it would have been better for her to drive the spaceship in which they were traveling through space goku and pan
because trunks doesn't know drive it

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am

I don't know. All I know is that she most likely wasn't used as she could've been. She was just kinda there. Though her getting Vegeta to shave that Moo-stache was awesome!
Posit a scenario. The most I can see is her being a colorful side character who isn't a fighter, but still WAY stronger than your average human - basically Bulma if she was as strong as Wonder Woman. It would be a memorable character, but not one that gets any sort of spotlight.
Except, at least Bulma got more things to do than just exist.
She's a main character. Bra doesn't have to be.
that it would have been better for her to drive the spaceship in which they were traveling through space goku and pan
because trunks doesn't know drive it
She's a child. Trunks is an adult. It makes no sense for her to drive the spaceship.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
She's a main character. Bra doesn't have to be.
I know. I'm not saying she HAS to be a main character, but a lot of Toriyama's secondary & tertiary characters do something at some point. Even Goten did something like fight some of the enemies & he's not that different a character from her outside of knowing how to fight.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
She's a main character. Bra doesn't have to be.
I know. I'm not saying she HAS to be a main character, but a lot of Toriyama's secondary & tertiary characters do something at some point. Even Goten did something like fight some of the enemies & he's not that different a character from her outside of knowing how to fight.
It's not some grand loss. I don't see this as her having any sort of "potential" that the writers squandered in the same way Cyclops was squandered in the X-Men movies. She's a tertiary character and even if she has Saiyan blood, that doesn't mean she has to fight anyone. Her job is to add dimension and color to the story.

The true squandered potential in GT was Pan. The writers could've given her a solid coming of age arc, and there are hints here and there, but it never comes to fruition. She is relegated to the damsel in distress.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2602
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
She's a main character. Bra doesn't have to be.
I know. I'm not saying she HAS to be a main character, but a lot of Toriyama's secondary & tertiary characters do something at some point. Even Goten did something like fight some of the enemies & he's not that different a character from her outside of knowing how to fight.
Okay but it is, largely, a martial arts series. Knowing how to fight and not knowing how to fight makes a world of difference. Bra wasn’t a fighter so of course in a heavily action focus series she isn’t going to have much to do.

I like how they used Bra. She showed how far Vegeta had come since his first days on earth.

It might have been nice if just once they demonstrated that, yeah, Bra is half Saiya-jin by showing her clock someone’s lights out by mistake or something. But I wouldn’t argue her potential as a character was wasted.

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am

Posit a scenario. The most I can see is her being a colorful side character who isn't a fighter, but still WAY stronger than your average human - basically Bulma if she was as strong as Wonder Woman. It would be a memorable character, but not one that gets any sort of spotlight.
Except, at least Bulma got more things to do than just exist.
She's a main character. Bra doesn't have to be.
that it would have been better for her to drive the spaceship in which they were traveling through space goku and pan
because trunks doesn't know drive it
She's a child. Trunks is an adult. It makes no sense for her to drive the spaceship.
why?
Image

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Why would you think a silly looking picture would be convincing? The idea of putting something so important and complex in the hands of a person whose age isn't even in the double digits is so on its face silly - even for a story that revels in silliness. And it's flat out wrong that Trunks doesn't know how to drive the spaceship. We see it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Why would you think a silly looking picture would be convincing? The idea of putting something so important and complex in the hands of a person whose age isn't even in the double digits is so on its face silly - even for a story that revels in silliness. And it's flat out wrong that Trunks doesn't know how to drive the spaceship. We see it.

That picture is an actual flashback in Super. A child inexplicably being able to drive a spaceship is a officially a thing in Dragon Ball, so Bra being able to drive a spaceship wouldn’t be much of a stretch, especially since the writers seemed to like to pretend that she’s older than she actually is. With that said, there wouldn’t have been any reason for her to be the one to drive the spaceship, given that Trunks was already able to fill that role.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:01 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Why would you think a silly looking picture would be convincing? The idea of putting something so important and complex in the hands of a person whose age isn't even in the double digits is so on its face silly - even for a story that revels in silliness. And it's flat out wrong that Trunks doesn't know how to drive the spaceship. We see it.

That picture is an actual flashback in Super. A child inexplicably being able to drive a spaceship is a officially a thing in Dragon Ball, so Bra being able to drive a spaceship wouldn’t be much of a stretch, especially since the writers seemed to like to pretend that she’s older than she actually is. With that said, there wouldn’t have been any reason for her to be the one to drive the spaceship, given that Trunks was already able to fill that role.
I get that it's a thing in Super. Perhaps that wasn't clear in my phrasing. What I mean is that regardless of whether it's in the story, it's a stupid moment and not a good argument for why it makes sense to put Bra in Trunks' spot. Regardless, you'd still have the problem of someone having wasted potential. Bra becomes the pilot/tech person but Trunks does what exactly?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Tai Lung
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

that's also in the manga ... if you want to discuss the author's logic besides the record of things that bulma invent at the age of 14

that the trunks did not know how to drive the spaceship is mentioned in the series ...

Post Reply