Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm Moro (OG73 absorbed) is Moro best design.
It was okay, but not as intriguing as the other designs
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 am

I think Goku vs Piccolo Daimaoh and Goku vs Piccolo fights are both overrated. Talking about DB only, both Goku fights against Tenshinhan are much better
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:01 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 am I think Goku vs Piccolo Daimaoh and Goku vs Piccolo fights are both overrated. Talking about DB only, both Goku fights against Tenshinhan are much better
I disagree with this statement, but I will admit, the first Goku vs Tenshinhan fight had the benefit of uncertainty regarding its outcome.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 am

The original DBZ anime, fillsd and and including the filns, is the best media in the entire franchise. This might not seem like an unpopular one but I see enough people saying things such as the manga is better or part 1 is better that this definitely can be a divide for a good portion of people.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:56 am

Locutus wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 am The original DBZ anime, fillsd and and including the filns, is the best media in the entire franchise. This might not seem like an unpopular one but I see enough people saying things such as the manga is better or part 1 is better that this definitely can be a divide for a good portion of people.
Just because a significant amount of people prefer the less popular thing doesn’t make liking the most popular thing an “unpopular” opinion

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 am I think Goku vs Piccolo Daimaoh and Goku vs Piccolo fights are both overrated. Talking about DB only, both Goku fights against Tenshinhan are much better
Goku vs Tien at the 22nd Tournament is probably my favourite pre-Z fight. It has some great back and forths, the Tri Beam scene is really tense, and the entire final sequence of them in the sky is awesome. It's just really cool seeing them that high in the sky at a time when flying wasn't common. I love Goku's use of the reverse kamehameha, the suspense of them falling, the awesome view, Goku struggling to fire off one last kamehameha to gain some height, and then getting hit by that truck at the last second. It's honestly one of the most imaginative and suspenseful ends to a fight ever.

And then seeing Krillin and the entire crowd rush out from the stadium to greet them, and then treating them both as heroes by holding them on their shoulders, Goku and Tien smiling at each other, and Roshi's comment to Tien. All of this along with the Kikuchi music makes for a really heartwarming and feelgood scene. It's crazy to think that the very same episode has one of the darkest and saddest scenes of the series with Krillin's death, but it's that stark contrast that helps make it so shocking and effective.

On a side note it was really nice to see Goku and Tien treated with such respect by regular humans, after having seen Z where everyone worships Mr Satan and is ignorant to the events of the past.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:42 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am On a side note it was really nice to see Goku and Tien treated with such respect by regular humans, after having seen Z where everyone worships Mr Satan and is ignorant to the events of the past.
To be fair, Mr. Satan did kind of trick everyone into thinking that he saved the whole Earth by killing Cell, whereas Goku and Tien merely had a professional martial arts match, albeit a very powerful one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:53 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:42 am
90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am On a side note it was really nice to see Goku and Tien treated with such respect by regular humans, after having seen Z where everyone worships Mr Satan and is ignorant to the events of the past.
To be fair, Mr. Satan did kind of trick everyone into thinking that he saved the whole Earth by killing Cell, whereas Goku and Tien merely had a professional martial arts match, albeit a very powerful one.

But it’s also weird how everyone just forgets that ki attacks are a thing or the previous 23 tournaments. Excluding the referee of course.

We have the referee treating things like KamehamehameHa as common knowledge (albeit it was believed only the Turtle Hermit had mastered it) as well as Roshi being a well known martial artist (Kuririn even told Lunch he was a legend) nobody thinks the characters using ki blast are smokes and mirrors until the Cell Games all because ONE martial arts tournament had fighters incapable of using ki.

It really doesn’t make any sense even granting a good 11 years between the 23rd and 24th Budokai for some reason

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:22 pm

I’m wondering if the people ’forgetting’ ki attacks could be because Tenkaichi Budokai doesn’t seem to be a big media event before Mr. Satan wins. Are the earlier tournaments even televised? It seems like a place only hardcore fans, practitioners or random soldiers of fortune would gather. Satan seems to be the first champion who fully cashes in the popularity bonus of the title (and then he turns into an even bigger phenomenon after Cell Games). The previous winners seem to be known mostly by other martial artists. And since even the destroyed moon came back after Kami restored it, saying ”But Jackie Chun blew up the moon in the 21st Budokai!” would probably be thought of as just an old wives’ tale.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 pm

marumuju wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:22 pm I’m wondering if the people ’forgetting’ ki attacks could be because Tenkaichi Budokai doesn’t seem to be a big media event before Mr. Satan wins. Are the earlier tournaments even televised? It seems like a place only hardcore fans, practitioners or random soldiers of fortune would gather. Satan seems to be the first champion who fully cashes in the popularity bonus of the title (and then he turns into an even bigger phenomenon after Cell Games). The previous winners seem to be known mostly by other martial artists. And since even the destroyed moon came back after Kami restored it, saying ”But Jackie Chun blew up the moon in the 21st Budokai!” would probably be thought of as just an old wives’ tale.
I remember the anime showing Yamcha overhearing the radio. If the tournament can be broadcasted by radio, surely it can be broadcast by TVs, unless it is SOMEHOW that unpopular by TV viewers if not (uncultured fucks).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm

It seems like it would televised entertainment just like it would be in the real world. You don’t have “fighters all over the world” come to one spot for the title of Strongest Under The Heaven’s plus prize money and it be some underground thing few people know about.

The dude Kami possessed at the 23rd Budokai seemed to originally just be a spectator bringing his son so it definitely brought in more than just “martial artist” and their family and friends. Plus all the food and carnival games and merchandise that we’ve seen set up at the tournament.

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:56 pm

I took a cursory check on the manga volumes, and I at least didn’t notice any television cameras until the 25th tournament, on which a TV presenter is chatting with the participants, and Piccolo even specifically destroys all the cameras. The radio at the hospital during the 22nd Budokai could be just a local radio station broadcasting the island’s local tournament commentary. And the title ”Strongest Under Heaven” is just a title, although a grandiose one. People also travel to comic festivals from around the globe and the locals are probably none the wiser (well, if the festival is not Angoulême or the Comiket).

But, the Budokai definitely could’ve been televised and popular even if the manga did not show it (or I just didn’t notice).

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm It seems like it would televised entertainment just like it would be in the real world. You don’t have “fighters all over the world” come to one spot for the title of Strongest Under The Heaven’s plus prize money and it be some underground thing few people know about.

The dude Kami possessed at the 23rd Budokai seemed to originally just be a spectator bringing his son so it definitely brought in more than just “martial artist” and their family and friends. Plus all the food and carnival games and merchandise that we’ve seen set up at the tournament.
What's even stranger is Piccolo's reign of terror being forgotten. He had the whole world by the balls on live tv, and even came up with "Piccolo day" to spread terror. 13 years later only earth's king seems to remember.

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Once Piccolo’s full appearance is revealed (and he declares himself as Piccolo Daimaou) at 23rd Budokai, all the spectators run away in total panic. But that the fact that they later forget? Who knows... Well Toriyama knows, but he could’ve very well forgotten.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:37 pm

I guess because Piccolo Jr’s rampage never left the Tenkaichi Budokai arena and Piccolo Daimao’s world domination happened 8 years prior to Raditz arrival people just forgot about it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Didn't the World President mention Goku's fight with King Piccolo when he made a world wide address in response to the Cell games?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am

If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadalony.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadalony.
Not gonna lie, Stephanie Nadalony did a better job with kid Goku than kid Gohan. It would be quite interesting to hear her recite the "I AM" speech.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am If Goku were to have one consistent English voice over every version of the character; it should be Stephanie Nadalony.
Agreed. Also, i just can't stand Colleen Clinkenbeard as neither Goku nor Gohan.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am

She's great as Kid Goku, but Adult? I'm not sure I could see that working.