Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6516
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:54 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
Hard to say that when it's the only filler integrated into canon material.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5927
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
Hard to say that when it's the only filler integrated into canon material.
Would you mind clarifying? I'm not at all sure what you mean by that. How is the driving episode integrated into canon material, and, how would that be the only example where that is the case?

Also, yeah, I find the driving episode a bit underwhelming myself. I don't dislike it. I find it humorous. But it doesn't grab me the way it grabs other people. Also, I really can't stand the art and animation in that episode.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 2/15/21!)
Current Episode: Long Live the Prince - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 14!

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6516
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
Hard to say that when it's the only filler integrated into canon material.
Would you mind clarifying? I'm not at all sure what you mean by that. How is the driving episode integrated into canon material, and, how would that be the only example where that is the case?

Also, yeah, I find the driving episode a bit underwhelming myself. I don't dislike it. I find it humorous. But it doesn't grab me the way it grabs other people. Also, I really can't stand the art and animation in that episode.
It was referenced in Episode 172... a canon episode and there was a white hover car shown in the anime after the 3 years during the driving episode.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:11 am

I actually think King Kai's English voice kind of fits him. Yes, he's supposed to be this great Martial Arts master, but Goku kinda questions it at times, which is why I like his English voice. It's kinda deceiving to his true character. Joji Yagami is awesome, that's no question, but Sean Schemmel's pretty good, too.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 pm

A lot of the slice of life episodes in Super really aren't that good. I actually don't like a lot of them.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6516
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Bansho64 wrote:A lot of the slice of life episodes in Super really aren't that good. I actually don't like a lot of them.
The slice-of-life episodes in Super can be great but like most of Super it's more interested with dangling it's keys at the audience than actually doing something worthwhile with the story and characters.

The DBZ anime honestly did these kind of episodes much better with stuff like the Gohan's birthday episode and that party episode.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 pm

The Resurrection 'F' arc of Super, with all its faults, is much better written than the film its adapting from.

VDenter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by VDenter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:53 pm

This one seems to be Unpopular

Recently i bought all the 3 in 1 volumes and i have to say they are excellent. The way some people complained about them led me to believe might of have been the worst edition of the manga ever.

Most of the visual censoring is gone and Viz finally removed the pointless split between DB and DBZ. Stuff like the paper quality really was nowhere near as bad either when people described it as thin i was expecting something along the lines of bible pages thin. I guess the only shame is that the color pages are missing leading to some pages looking worse then they originally did and its not completely uncensored like it promises on the back of each volume. However its nowhere near a deal breaker. Personally if i wanted to see color id just watch the anime instead the manga being black and white is not a negative in my book, plus the massive advantage of the much cheaper price point when added together makes the small downsides seem all that much smaller and is probably the best way now to introduce somebody to dragonball.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:The Resurrection 'F' arc of Super, with all its faults, is much better written than the film its adapting from.
I think this is pretty popular.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:11 pm

VDenter wrote:This one seems to be Unpopular

Recently i bought all the 3 in 1 volumes and i have to say they are excellent. The way some people complained about them led me to believe might of have been the worst edition of the manga ever.

Most of the visual censoring is gone and Viz finally removed the pointless split between DB and DBZ. Stuff like the paper quality really was nowhere near as bad either when people described it as thin i was expecting something along the lines of bible pages thin. I guess the only shame is that the color pages are missing leading to some pages looking worse then they originally did and its not completely uncensored like it promises on the back of each volume. However its nowhere near a deal breaker. Personally if i wanted to see color id just watch the anime instead the manga being black and white is not a negative in my book, plus the massive advantage of the much cheaper price point when added together makes the small downsides seem all that much smaller and is probably the best way now to introduce somebody to dragonball.
The coloring is totally different than the anime. When there's color in the manga, it means something. Color symbolizes significance in Dragon Ball more often than not. However, that's not the reason that the B&W-only is undesirable. Greyscaling is just a bad thing.

Also, the VIZBIG release has better paper, the majority many of the colored pages are intact. There's more censorship, but it's usually so non-intrusive that it's only a signifigant negative to the most adamant purist, and they average only a few dollars more a piece than the 3-in-1's. The only place where the VIZBIG's are worse is that... well, they're too big, the better paper thickness, combined with the amount of story that they cram in, results in a somewhat fragile binding, although not fragile enough that it will fall apart, not unless you mistreat it.

So I disagree, I think that the VIZBIG release is better bang for your buck.
kinisking wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The Resurrection 'F' arc of Super, with all its faults, is much better written than the film its adapting from.
I think this is pretty popular.
Quite the opposite, most people prefer the film.
Retired.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: an apartment complex huh...i find it quite simple, really.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:16 pm

I find the Tankobon on Kindle to be the best release. It's the less censored and I found a Kindle in my hand much more pleasing then a book.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:I find the Tankobon on Kindle to be the best release. It's the less censored and I found a Kindle in my hand much more pleasing then a book.
I'm an old-timey guy, I like holding books in my hand. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe I like being able to judge my reading time based off the weight in my hand. Who knows? Besides, if the apocalypse comes, I don't want my reading material to be limited to my battery life (yes, that is a consideration I make when buying things, it's only a bit strange).

Also, are you not a fan of the Full Color Release? I'm pretty sure it's on kindle for cheap, although we don't know what the degree of censorship will have, yet. Probably not much, since they'd have to re-color for anything major.
Retired.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
VDenter wrote:This one seems to be Unpopular

Recently i bought all the 3 in 1 volumes and i have to say they are excellent. The way some people complained about them led me to believe might of have been the worst edition of the manga ever.

Most of the visual censoring is gone and Viz finally removed the pointless split between DB and DBZ. Stuff like the paper quality really was nowhere near as bad either when people described it as thin i was expecting something along the lines of bible pages thin. I guess the only shame is that the color pages are missing leading to some pages looking worse then they originally did and its not completely uncensored like it promises on the back of each volume. However its nowhere near a deal breaker. Personally if i wanted to see color id just watch the anime instead the manga being black and white is not a negative in my book, plus the massive advantage of the much cheaper price point when added together makes the small downsides seem all that much smaller and is probably the best way now to introduce somebody to dragonball.
The coloring is totally different than the anime. When there's color in the manga, it means something. Color symbolizes significance in Dragon Ball more often than not. However, that's not the reason that the B&W-only is undesirable. Greyscaling is just a bad thing.

Also, the VIZBIG release has better paper, the majority many of the colored pages are intact. There's more censorship, but it's usually so non-intrusive that it's only a signifigant negative to the most adamant purist, and they average only a few dollars more a piece than the 3-in-1's. The only place where the VIZBIG's are worse is that... well, they're too big, the better paper thickness, combined with the amount of story that they cram in, results in a somewhat fragile binding, although not fragile enough that it will fall apart, not unless you mistreat it.

So I disagree, I think that the VIZBIG release is better bang for your buck.
kinisking wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The Resurrection 'F' arc of Super, with all its faults, is much better written than the film its adapting from.
I think this is pretty popular.
Quite the opposite, most people prefer the film.
People prefer the film because of the animation but we're talking about the writing.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: an apartment complex huh...i find it quite simple, really.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:I find the Tankobon on Kindle to be the best release. It's the less censored and I found a Kindle in my hand much more pleasing then a book.
I'm an old-timey guy, I like holding books in my hand. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe I like being able to judge my reading time based off the weight in my hand. Who knows? Besides, if the apocalypse comes, I don't want my reading material to be limited to my battery life (yes, that is a consideration I make when buying things, it's only a bit strange).

Also, are you not a fan of the Full Color Release? I'm pretty sure it's on kindle for cheap, although we don't know what the degree of censorship will have, yet. Probably not much, since they'd have to re-color for anything major.
The censorship is pretty noticeable and I just don't like the color choices. It's not the original colors. I understand that for charcters that didn't get colored or were differently colored (Tenshinhan's pants) sometimes, but for the rest ? C'mon.

User avatar
FreddleFrooby
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by FreddleFrooby » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:44 pm

Here's something unpopular: I liked Cell-X's design. Thought he looks awesome, even! And I want him to appear in a future Xenoverse game, or Heroes set.

Also, liking GT is not unpopular by any means, but a family member of mine's preference of GT over every other DB thing might be.
Vegeta: How?! How are you so much more powerful than me?!
Goku Black: Because Vegeta, a rose by any other name.... is still Goku.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:47 pm

The Full Color release is not the ideal version of the manga. In fact, I don't even consider it good. The palette is too bright and too cool, making things feel bubbly and fun even when the scene is supposed to be depressing or tense.
Retired.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5927
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The Full Color release is not the ideal version of the manga. In fact, I don't even consider it good. The palette is too bright and too cool, making things feel bubbly and fun even when the scene is supposed to be depressing or tense.
Oh, I certainly agree it's not the ideal version of the manga. I'll check a page or two out of curiosity if I happen to come across it, but it really doesn't interest me in the slightest. I much prefer the original colors for those chapters that are in color. And, honestly, I just prefer the clean black and white of the original manga. Maybe it's because I grew up reading Garfield comics, which were also in black and white (or at least they used to be... grr), but I really have a soft spot for clean, uncolored artwork.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 2/15/21!)
Current Episode: Long Live the Prince - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 14!

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:05 pm

I collect them, but only as a novelty. I read through once, and then put it away, where it's forever doomed to sit on a shelf. Or maybe I'll get them signed at a convention and sell them one day, who knows?
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Masako Nozawa does not sound like a girl in any of the male roles she plays.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Masako Nozawa does not sound like a girl in any of the male roles she plays.
I mean, Nozawa sounds like an aged woman, that's just fact. She does, however, faithfully and splendidly play every role I've heard her in, both male and female.
Retired.

Post Reply