Your favorite Dragon Ball Saga/Arc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Your favorite Dragon Ball Saga/Arc

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I have done a poll for the movies that was pretty successful, now it's time to do one for the series. I have broken down the series into the 10 main canon sagas and one filler saga that stands out enough to not be grouped into one of the main sagas.

Search for the Dragon Balls Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 1-13
21st Tenkaichi Budoukai Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 14-28
Red Ribbon Army/Uranai Baba Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 29-78
22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 79-101
Piccolo Daimao Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 102-122 (1 Vote)
23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai Saga: Dragon Ball Episodes 123-153
Saiyan Saga: Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1-35
Namek Saga: Dragon Ball Z Episodes 36-107
Garlic Jr. Saga: Dragon Ball Z Episodes 108-117
Android Saga: Dragon Ball Z Episodes 118-199 (1 Vote)
Majin Boo Saga: Dragon Ball Z Episodes 200-291 (1 Vote)

My vote is going to the Majin Boo Saga. That saga holds a lot of nostalgia for me because it's the first part of the series I was introduced too when I saw the Majin Boo Saga airing in the U.S. for the first time on Toonami. I didn't even know about the earlier episodes in the series until I started doing some research back in the day and found out there were 4 other sagas in the series along with the first series Dragon Ball. After watching the Majin Boo Saga on television for a while on Toonami my friend let me borrow a Perfect Cell Saga dvd and I was hooked. It was so weird going back in time to see Gohan as a kid and Trunks as a baby when I was watching them on television for months as an teenager and kid. I've been rewatching the Majin Boo Saga lately and I like it a lot better now than I did a couple years ago. That's enough of my nostalgic rant, now I'm going to list a couple reasons why I believe it stands out from the others.

1. Vegeta's character development. Vegeta in my opinion gets more character development in this saga than any other saga in Dragon Ball Z, and the weird part is that he's dead for a large portion of it.

2. Majin Boo's Rampage over the Earth has always been entertaining to watch. Especially the episodes where Babidi is bossing around Majin Boo telling him what to do.

3. The fusion characters were fun to watch. Vegetto was hilarious yet extremely powerful at the same time.

4. The pairing of Piccolo and Gotenks was hilarious as well.

5. This saga is very unpredictable. You never know what is going to happen next in it

6. In my opinion Dragon Ball is at it's best when it doesn't take itself too seriously. This saga is a refreshing change of pace from the earlier sagas because it brings back a lot of humor that was missing from the earlier sagas in the series.
Last edited by PiccoloFan7289 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Your favorite Dragon Ball Z Saga/Arc

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Why not count the original Dragon Ball also? Anyway, I haven't seen the original in its entirety (including the 23rd Tournament, :(), but out of those options, it's definitely the Saiyan arc.
If you're including the original DB, I haven't seen it all, as I said, but I would probably pick the Piccolo Daimao arc (that being from when Kurilin is killed to when Piccolo Daimao dies) as my favorite, but I haven't seen it in a while, so I don't know if I would call it better than the Saiyan arc. From what I remember, it probably is, so change mine to that, I guess.
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Why not count the original Dragon Ball also? Anyway, I haven't seen the original in its entirety (including the 23rd Tournament, :(), but out of those options, it's definitely the Saiyan arc.
I will include the original Dragon Ball Arcs, that's fine.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 pm

I think there was a similar topic like this one before.

Anywho, here's my favourites:

1. Cell (Wakamoto's beautiful Cell voice made the arc an instant classic and Gohan's SSJ2 moment)
2. Freeza (While it was a long battle it felt great watching all of it even the BGMs were correctly placed)
3. Saiyan (Son Goku Vs. Vejeta's fight was really good and in a way it could have ended Z's anime)
4. Majin Boo (I couldn't take this arc seriously because it was extremely hilarious)
5. Artificial Humans (not really much of my fave, No. 18 is a hottie AH, though)

No Garlic Jr. for me, don't need it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Your favorite Dragon Ball Saga/Arc

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:40 pm

1. Piccolo Daimao arc
2. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
3. Fortuneteller Baba - filler - 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
4. Buu arc
5. Saiyan arc
6. Start of the Android arc (until Cell shows up, after him reaching perfection it's boring for me)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

1. King Piccolo Saga

2. 22nd Tournament/Tenshinhan Saga

3. Cell Saga

4. Red Ribbon Saga

And then the rest.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Boo Saga

Saiyan Saga

Cell Saga

Everything else.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

BrodieK41

Post by BrodieK41 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 pm

1. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
2. Artificial Human/Cell arc
3. Saiyan arc
4. Piccolo Daimao arc
5. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
Last edited by BrodieK41 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 am

If I had to pick only one from that list, I would go with:

Namek Saga

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:41 am

Either Red Ribbon Army or Piccolo Daimao saga. Dragon Ball is so under rated in America, that if it were to have came out before DBZ in America, I am pretty sure if would be as popular as DBZ is.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Either Red Ribbon Army or Piccolo Daimao saga. Dragon Ball is so under rated in America, that if it were to have came out before DBZ in America, I am pretty sure if would be as popular as DBZ is.
I'm pretty sure it did come out before Z... it just wasn't as popular and got cancelled in favour of Z.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 am

Because the first arc of DB is pretty dull, especially compared to Z which starts with a lot of action.

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 am

It's a tie between the Cell and Buu sagas. The first two sagas of GT have a special place in my heart, too.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 am

1. 22th Tenkaichi Budokai Arc
2. Cell Saga
3. Frieza Saga
4. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc
5. Piccolo Daimao Saga
6. Saiyan Saga
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 pm

1. 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai
2. Piccolo Daimaou
3. 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai
4. Saiyan
5. Red Ribbon Army
6. 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai
7. Freeza
8. Majin Boo
9. Cell
10. Search for the Dragon Balls
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:30 pm

1. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai

Still felt like an adventurous, coming of age saga with the assorted roster and a central tension. Nothing life or death as much as the others, but moving in the serious tone that the series would take. Felt like a breath of fresh air after the huge Red Ribbon stuff, as well as the majorly boring Baba saga. Everyone ages a little and makes developments, while Tenshinhan makes a great douche. The fights are also pretty neat, and it does more to involve Muten Roshi and Kuririn than most of the other sagas. Also, the Goku vs Tenshinhan fight is beastly. The Kikouhou scene itself always has me a little choked up because of how awesome it is.

2. Cell (Kai)

Somewhat long and boring at times, but a story that has mostly the entire Z team trying to pull together to prevent an apocalyptic future. Future Trunks is my favorite, so his involvement already pushes this saga to where it is on this list, and the very serious tone makes it a fitting climax before the Boo stuff that takes place years later. It feels like the most important event to the characters, and the androids vs Z guys getting trumped by Cell lone-wolfing his way to the top makes him seem unstoppable. The final fight with Gohan I'd probably put as my favorite fight, anyway, or next to the Vegetto fight.

3. Probably 23rd Tenkaichi

The characters we've watched since the beginning have now grown up, and that's already a plus to me. Seeing them like this was a great thing to watch, as well as the expectations everyone had of Goku. The fights overall were neat, and it got toward Z territory with the amount of beams and explosions, but it still grasped the DB flavor. Piccolo's real introduction is here, and he didn't disappoint. A true douche of a villain, but still lovable in his own way. His fight with Goku is brutal as hell.

Bonus: Blue

Something about tropical settings, oceans, pirates, and the like make this saga fun to watch. Sometimes it bogs down, but I like it a lot. First time there's a solid gang going on a little adventure, and it has enough comedy in it to keep it from being too serious. Blue's also one of my favorite villains since he's so corny.

++++ I absolutely exclude the Penguin Village garbage from this saga. If I include that trash with this saga, then the Blue saga isn't even on this list.
Last edited by OzzyApu on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Namek.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I'll go with the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc. It had the best and most entertaining fights in the entire franchise, while some degree keeping the comedic aspect of the series. Really Dragon Ball as a whole peaked here for me.

Other arcs worth mentioning are the 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, along with the Saiyan and Piccolo Daimao arcs.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Saiga wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Either Red Ribbon Army or Piccolo Daimao saga. Dragon Ball is so under rated in America, that if it were to have came out before DBZ in America, I am pretty sure if would be as popular as DBZ is.
I'm pretty sure it did come out before Z... it just wasn't as popular and got cancelled in favour of Z.
Yeah but that was due to a horrible timeslot and horrible dubbing. Z didn't get a good start either in the states.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

1. Boo -I love the entire Boo arc. There's just something about it being the last adventure of the series. Loved Gohan's little high school adventure. Super Boo, Vegetto, Majin Vegeta, Ssj3 and Gotenks really sets this arc apart form the rest, making it my #1.

2. Namek - Goku and Vegeta becoming far more powerful than any saiyan in history. Vegeta punkin' Freeza left and right with his new found ki sensing ability, and of course, Son Goku, the pure hearted saiyan from Earth, arrives and whups everybody's ass. My favorite part of the entire series is when Goku shows up on Namek and stuns everyone ( especially Vegeta ) with his power, and goes on to thrash the Ginyu Force. Probably the pinnacle of Goku's character until he goes Ssj against Freeza, which leads to my 3rd favorite arc...

3. Freeza - Goku vs. Freeza is my favorite fight in all of Dragon Ball, second to only Piccolo at the 23rd, and Vegeta during the saiyan arc. Goku is such a bad ass after he turns Ssj. Piccolo shows up like a champ, and Vegeta dies. Epic after Epic after Epic.

4. Saiyan - Goku vs. Vegeta, Genki-dama, Kaio-ken, and the death of Uncle Piccolo.

5. Cell - Ssj2 Gohan and the BGM along with it. Cell is super cool, 2nd favorite villain. Super Vegeta. Kamiccolo. #16

6. Artificial Human - Ssj Vegeta, and I guess if you count Trunks arrival, his Ssj transformation and the BGM along with it.