Piccolo Daimao Filler

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Piccolo Daimao Filler

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 am

In the Anime, Goku and Yajirobe go on a video game like adventure to retrieve the "special" water (can't remember the specific name, there's like three different sacred waters between the Red Ribbon, Piccolo and Garlic Jr. Arcs :P ). Was just wondering how this plays out in the Manga. Does Karin simply give it to Goku?

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Piccolo Daimao Filler

Post by OzzyApu » Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 am

Pretty much. PM sent with a certain link showing the exact page, dialogue, and scene of the water being AT Karin Tower.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 am

I dont know ,but that chapter in the manga is called "the superest super water"
or something like that

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 am

I sent him a link showing the page. The water is literally mentioned and Karin literally has it in his hands and pours it out.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

I actually had no idea that little story was filler in the anime, since I haven't read that part of the manga before. Huh. They really ingrained the filler into the story a lot better in the first series.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 01, 2012 1:07 pm

I think they were just more willing then to take risks to make their own version of Dragon Ball. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if running into plot holes due to their own alterations caused them to be more cautious later on. Still, I'd much rather have a few plot holes and an interesting story than most of their filler being just to painfully stretch out a fight. They just seemed to have run out of ideas by the Cell arc.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah, it's a shame that happened. I really think the plot changes that Toei made during Dragon Ball were a lot of fun. The Daimaou arc filler is a fun example of this, espicially when you also consider the story work they did with Muten Roushi, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu collecting the Dragon Balls. Heck, we even got to see Snow and No. 8 again!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue May 01, 2012 5:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, it's a shame that happened. I really think the plot changes that Toei made during Dragon Ball were a lot of fun. The Daimaou arc filler is a fun example of this, espicially when you also consider the story work they did with Muten Roushi, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu collecting the Dragon Balls. Heck, we even got to see Snow and No. 8 again!
Agreed so hard. I literally feel like I'm 11 again when I think of how super fuckin' neato it would be if the anime did its own thing in Z. Hell, the Saiyan arc's training period was pretty close to that come to think of it. Did the whole Kami incident traumatize Toei from ever trying that again? :lol:

Edit:
Maaaan, the more I dwell on it the more SUPER bummed out I get that this wasn't a thing. Thanks a lot Kanzenshuu.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 01, 2012 6:33 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, it's a shame that happened. I really think the plot changes that Toei made during Dragon Ball were a lot of fun. The Daimaou arc filler is a fun example of this, espicially when you also consider the story work they did with Muten Roushi, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu collecting the Dragon Balls. Heck, we even got to see Snow and No. 8 again!
The filler in the Daimao arc is some of the best stuff in the whole arc! I love watching it! The Holy water is one of my favourite episodes to watch in DB! It's so creative. It has a good story and is enticing.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 pm

In some respects, I agree with Attitudefan on this one. I loved a lot of the filler in the Piccolo Daimao arc. I think it did a great job of using filler to its advantage because we got to see some things in the anime that were naturally absent from the manga, yet they didn't impede the storyline. In particular, I like seeing Tambourine going around killing everyone, as morbid as that sounds. The bit where he was about to fight Yamcha was very well done, since it fit seamlessly. The filler here doesn't come across as boring like a lot of the other stuff in the series does, at least from my perspective anyhow. It feels like it adds to what we're originally given.

That being said, a complete change in pace from the manga, like going off to get the water, felt kind of strange since it was such an escape from the plot at hand. It felt like it was unneeded and didn't really add much to the story, unlike a lot of the filler during the arc. I think the issue is finding the right balance of filler and non-filler, and not deviating too much from the original work. It's something a lot of series have problems with, but I think the filler in the original Dragon Ball was very good with how it went about it for the most part.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue May 01, 2012 7:20 pm

That was the only filler I didn't like in this arc. That was one crazy adventure just for water.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I've always enjoyed that filler. The whole Piccolo Daimao arc in the anime is just....creepy. The music, backgrounds, etc.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 am

I really enjoyed the extra back story with Tenshinhan where they meet up with one of his former opponents. I definitely need to watch that again soon now.
Trans rights, now!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 am

SonEric84 wrote:I really enjoyed the extra back story with Tenshinhan where they meet up with one of his former opponents. I definitely need to watch that again soon now.
Was gonna mention that actually, just saw it for the first time. Was one of the few things in the series that actually took me off guard. :D

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 am

Awesome, I take it you enjoyed it then? It's probably one of my favorite filler moments throughout DB and Z as a whole.
Trans rights, now!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed May 02, 2012 10:58 am

The saga definitely has some of my favourite filler episodes.

I really think Tambourine's murder scenes add intensity to the situation, while not being gratuitous. Tenshinhan's past coming back to haunt him was great, and in my opinion added to his character.

Plus, I kind of like the weird pirate ship on land filler where Roshi tries to trade a coupon and lottery ticket (or something) for a Dragon Ball.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 am

I always found that Tenshinhan actually getting to try to fire the Mafuba was better than simply writing around it.