How often and with who...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: How often and with who...

Post by Rory » Sun May 06, 2012 8:37 am

I had friends last year who I talked to about it, they were casual dub-only viewers. I don't really hang out with them much any more, but I did manage to loan my manga to a friend who has since read (and loved) it. Sadly we don't talk about Dragon Ball much, and since moving to uni, I've stopped hanging out with my previous go-to Dragon Ball guys.
So at this moment in time... going solo, Dragon Ball-wise!

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am

I used to have plenty of friends to discuss Dragon Ball with in the real world. Lost contact with all of them over the years.

I wish I did have someone to discuss it with. My Fiancee won't even discuss it much with me. But that doesn't stop me from talking about it all day to her non-stop. :lol: So funny how she's always like "Omg I get it shut up already."
But I really love being part of this community now. I feel like I found home. :) I know, I probably sound lame.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 am

I tried via an Xbox LIVE Party and they weren't interested, I'm not that into it, though, I do still like it, it's not something I'll forget about.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Mr.Boo

Post by Mr.Boo » Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Internets: A few forums, here and literally one other, and a Facebook group I co-admin.

IRL: Basically nobody. No-one I know watched/liked/loved DB, so yeah. I can chat to my little sister about it a bit, but she's more into One Piece. I have one friend who I've met through a friend on Facebook, but even she isn't as into it as me...So yeah, nobody! Boo :(

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Basically just this forum.. I do know a lot of people that love it though, the conversation just never comes up.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun May 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Me and my best friend/girlfriend talk about the series a fair amount. Sometimes just the news that comes out for it, or sometimes something I've discovered about the series after thinking on it - or sometimes it just pops up in a joke. I doubt we'll ever completely stop talking about it, seeing as how it was cuz of DBZ that we even became friends.

I talk about it a fair amount with my mom as well, since she's about halfway a fan. She loves anything to do with Piccolo and Vegeta at least.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I discuss it only here, outside of Kanzex, nobody is interested in DB or DBZ where I live, or the people I'm meeting regularly.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 pm

ChahikoDBZ wrote:But I really love being part of this community now. I feel like I found home. :) I know, I probably sound lame.
I've only been here a very short while and I love this place already. The first DB series forum that I lurked around was Pojo but that wasn't as organized, nor did it have a detailed encyclo like this one does. In my signature I have a link to a metal database that's highly detailed - I basically go there for my metal needs. This forum is the equivalent for DB needs. Now I finally have a place to talk about this series, and with other people who expect the same.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Most people I talk to view Dragon Ball as a joke. Which is why I hardly talk about Dragon Ball or Kajiu movies with people who are not fans. But my friends who don't like Dragon Ball are cool with it that I like the series though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 pm

OzzyApu wrote:
ChahikoDBZ wrote:But I really love being part of this community now. I feel like I found home. :) I know, I probably sound lame.
I've only been here a very short while and I love this place already. The first DB series forum that I lurked around was Pojo but that wasn't as organized, nor did it have a detailed encyclo like this one does. In my signature I have a link to a metal database that's highly detailed - I basically go there for my metal needs. This forum is the equivalent for DB needs. Now I finally have a place to talk about this series, and with other people who expect the same.
Oh I see. I tried to lurk around Pojo when I was younger. (I wasn't as smart about internet browsing as I am now). Yeah same way I think of it. This place is great. :)
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 am

Dragon Ball can be an extremely polarizing subject, so I avoid talking about it unless I know someone is either a definite fan or open minded in general. :?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 am

Just like I figured, most people come here and only here for their Dragon Ball discussion needs. The few people I know who would discuss it with me have never read the manga or watched the original version, so yea... can't really get very far in a debate.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 pm

My girlfriend mostly. She's usually the only one around when I find something really interesting on here. My friends love Dragonball too, so discussions pop up from time to time but never often. I have had some out of the blue discussions with strangers at my college though. I have a few Dragonball shirts and when people see it they always like to talk about how they loved the show growing up. Never really comes up on a daily basis though...that's what this is for. :wink:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:My girlfriend mostly. She's usually the only one around when I find something really interesting on here.
Yeah, that makes sense as I too live with GF together, but she can discuss everything with me with some exceptions nowadays.
These are: ''Dragon Ball, Gundam, Star Wars.........''
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 am

I only get to talk Dragonball with my friends when a new episode of DBZ Abridged comes out. My friends don't have a passion for the show as much as I do, so it's the only time it's appropriate to bring it up in discussion.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I give up talking to people about DBZ just today I got told that:
Toriyama copied off of some chick that drew it first
Hoshi is real
Also GT is made by American's not toei.
Toriyama had no influence on DBGT.
The girl he copied off of drew it (although I wonder if he thinks it's Nahi Ooishi)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Almost never. Even with the people in my life that like DBZ, none of them take it as far as what's discussed here.

Every once in awhile, if it comes up, we might discuss a story point because we're trying to remember it more clearly, but 99% of DBZ discussion amongst friends is about DBZ Abridged.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm

son veku wrote:I give up talking to people about DBZ just today I got told that:
Toriyama copied off of some chick that drew it first
Hoshi is real
Also GT is made by American's not toei.
Toriyama had no influence on DBGT.
The girl he copied off of drew it (although I wonder if he thinks it's Nahi Ooishi)
Who do you talk to? Tell them to stop it, and for once USE THE INTERNET!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 am

I had tons of friends who were into DBZ and known as the biggest DBZ fan in my class, but when I moved to California no one at my school cared for it. Hence why I started to forums, but I do have one friend who was into DBZ that I keep him updated on it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.