Dragon Ball exercise role model?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beji
Regular

Dragon Ball exercise role model?

Post by Beji » Sun May 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Hey I think there was a thread similar to this from a while back but I couldn't seem to find it and my question is a bit different.

When I first started watching Dragon Ball I was motivated to exercise and be strong and all that stuff :lol:. But I thought it was weird when I met other fans of the show and it seemed like the more into the show they were, the less they actually exercised. I thought it weird the trend where I live that the casual fan will exercise and try and get stronger but a huge fan just doesn't even bother. Not that I have Goku's physique but to other fans do you try to been in a Dragon Ball-esque shape since you are into the show?

This kind of carries over to all action anime/manga and I know this is an odd question but I always thought it was weird that at cons people seemed to be overall in worse shape than just people outside (like in high school or college). I always thought watching shows like that would make you automatically a bit more..trying to think of the word.. motivated?

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball exercise role model?

Post by Soul » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

The poster boy for this is obviously Kendamu, though outside of Dragon Ball I know he's inspired by Street Fighter, TMNT and Batman.
But I always admired him for really staying committed for the most part to better himself due to DB motivation.
I'd SAY Castor Troy is with him, but he never mentions working out or training in Martial Arts/Karate much. :lol:

As for me? Eh, I lack motivation a lot of the time when it comes to working out, though I'm a pretty scrawny guy as it is, but it's usually Martial Art flicks that motivate me as well, Yu Yu Hakusho maybe more so than Dragon Ball.
But I do remember...watching...the Garlic Jr. saga marathon that Toonami ran on New Years Eve back in 01 or 02 I believe, I got hyped up watching it and started doing Push-ups, sit-ups and so forth. :P

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I sort of have Goki's mindful / restful routine that carried over from Muten Roshi's turtle school routine. That works for my particular body. Vegeta's mind-numbing, brutal overkill of a workout would be muscle failure for me.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun May 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Well I'm really into the show and because of that I make sure I work out everyday. If I miss a work out day, I just feel like dying. But I'm no martial artist sadly.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Goku; likes to challenge himself, is a fighting genius, gets his good share of protiens, and quite knowledgable on basic survival skills.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Soul wrote:The poster boy for this is obviously Kendamu...I'd SAY Castor Troy is with him...
Sorry that I am not up to speed with all of these people. I think I've heard of Castor Troy as a VA for an abridged series but that's it. Who is the Kendamu person?
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku; likes to challenge himself, is a fighting genius, gets his good share of protiens, and quite knowledgable on basic survival skills.
Though I am sort of confused on the statement. There is another good point in there, Goku doesn't need to take any protein shakes or gross stuff like that, but gets protein from fish and beans which carry over to real life very well.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Beji wrote:
Soul wrote:The poster boy for this is obviously Kendamu...I'd SAY Castor Troy is with him...
Sorry that I am not up to speed with all of these people. I think I've heard of Castor Troy as a VA for an abridged series but that's it. Who is the Kendamu person?
They're members here on Kanzenshuu.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Mon May 07, 2012 3:09 am

When I was younger I was inspired to be like Vegeta. I would always train in my backyard to become a Super Saiyan. :lol:
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 am

I was a huge WWF fan in the late 90's to early 2000's. My favorite wrestler for a while was HHH. I was inspired to work out to become like him. That lasted for a few months before I said "ah to hell with it".

But as far as Dragonball is concerned, if anything that inspired me to try to learn to fly and sense ki and that sort of thing. So if anything Dragonball would inspire me to do more of the type of training Goku did with Mr. Popo at Kami's lookout.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:20 am

ChahikoDBZ wrote:When I was younger I was inspired to be like Vegeta. I would always train in my backyard to become a Super Saiyan. :lol:
I bet you do a lot of sit ups and push ups, while drinking plenty of juice.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ChahikoDBZ wrote:When I was younger I was inspired to be like Vegeta. I would always train in my backyard to become a Super Saiyan. :lol:
I bet you do a lot of sit ups and push ups, while drinking plenty of juice.
For a second I was like "Um. Huh?" And then I remembered that line from Vegeta. :lol:
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 pm

One day I will be cut like Goku! :twisted:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue May 08, 2012 3:57 am

Beji wrote:
I am this Kendamu person! And as the mighty Kendamu, I am...!

...nobody important! :|

Someone on Twitter really should've told me about this thread.

Anywho, I've always been into martial arts training and generally being active, but the concept of taking things to the next level and trying to compete and "be #1" and whatnot was inspired by watching Dragonball Z. Nowadays, I'm a bit more relaxed, but back when I was a teenager I was always going camping with my friends to look for adventure, training in my back yard, always trying to go after the higher ranked people in my Taekwondo class when it came to sparring, having full-contact sparring matches outside of class with my friend/rival/"evil twin," taking all the weightlifting classes that I could fit into my school year, and trying to learn more about ki and how to apply it to better my martial arts skills. Once I got bored with Taekwondo's limited sparring rules, I bugged my instructor to teach me some more practical skills and he introduced me to some stuff from Jeet Kune Do. So, even when I hit a wall with what I was already doing, I would try and find a way to get past it and take everything beyond its limits.

Dragonball Z wasn't my main motivator for all of those hobbies, but it was my motivator for pushing myself as far as I could go to get the most out of those hobbies. Without DBZ, I still would've been active and whatnot, though. I can certainly understand your sentiment when it comes to people not being inspired to get out there and do something because of DBZ. I used to feel that same, "Well, why wouldn't you want to work to become super strong and good at fighting? It's like living the show," that you do now. I eventually just chalked it up to all people being different and taking something different from DBZ than I did; and there's nothing wrong with that.

:D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Tue May 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Kendamu wrote:...Anywho, I've always been into martial arts training and generally being active, but the concept of taking things to the next level and trying to compete and "be #1" and whatnot was inspired by watching Dragonball Z. Nowadays, I'm a bit more relaxed, but back when I was a teenager I was always going camping with my friends to look for adventure, training in my back yard, always trying to go after the higher ranked people in my Taekwondo class when it came to sparring, having full-contact sparring matches outside of class with my friend/rival/"evil twin," taking all the weightlifting classes that I could fit into my school year, and trying to learn more about ki and how to apply it to better my martial arts skills. Once I got bored with Taekwondo's limited sparring rules, I bugged my instructor to teach me some more practical skills and he introduced me to some stuff from Jeet Kune Do. So, even when I hit a wall with what I was already doing, I would try and find a way to get past it and take everything beyond its limits.

Dragonball Z wasn't my main motivator for all of those hobbies, but it was my motivator for pushing myself as far as I could go to get the most out of those hobbies. Without DBZ, I still would've been active and whatnot, though. I can certainly understand your sentiment when it comes to people not being inspired to get out there and do something because of DBZ. I used to feel that same, "Well, why wouldn't you want to work to become super strong and good at fighting? It's like living the show," that you do now. I eventually just chalked it up to all people being different and taking something different from DBZ than I did; and there's nothing wrong with that....
Ooh mighty Kendamu *bows* :lol: That sounds neat though! I wish more people were like that and the people taking from dbz different things is a good point. I always wanted to go to martial arts classes but I do not have the money or time for them so I am learning from people who do have the money. And weightlifting is easy(there are weights everywhere and for cheap!) but I am trying to do it without getting veins which most people I see at a gym WANT to get but I'd rather not. I always wondered though if all the people on here since they are all big dragonball fans all had a build similar to the characters(saiyans), which might not be the case :mrgreen:

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Tue May 08, 2012 11:16 pm

/offtopic

Castor Troy? Oh a VA. I actually thought you guys meant that insane criminal that Nicholas Cage played in the movie Face Off.

We're actually quite similar Kendamu. I was inspired by Vegeta's dedication and willingness to train and almost forsake everything else. Except, in my case, I'm more of a Tien, while you're more of a Goku. I trained hard but could never reach the same level of skill as my peers in martial arts. No matter how hard I trained. I even ditched my girlfriend back then to really concentrate on working out at the gym (and use the time and money I would've used on my girlfriend for energy drinks, creatine, amino tablets, nitric oxide, mega-multivitamins, whey protein, etc.) and training in martial arts (Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu) more often but I just didn't get to be on par with the higher-level martial artists that I train with. Far from it.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Angelus wrote:Castor Troy? Oh a VA.
It makes me feel really old when people don't remember him from "Vegeta Insane".

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 am

Angelus wrote:(and use the time and money I would've used on my girlfriend for energy drinks, creatine, amino tablets, nitric oxide, mega-multivitamins, whey protein, etc.)
I heard of creatine and whey protein before, but what are the other thingys and why take them? I never had a need for such things do they make a difference/are necessary? Is it possible for people to look like Saiyans without that stuff? Isn't the point that they aren't that bulky either? I remember in the anime Sharpener kept calling Gohan scrawny didn't he? In the Dragon Ball world. Were saiyans looked at as scrawny characters with much hidden power(besides the obvious like nappa and Broly transformed)?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 am

Beji wrote:I always wanted to go to martial arts classes but I do not have the money or time for them so I am learning from people who do have the money.
That's exactly what I did when I didn't have the money. I'd find martial artists and train with them outside the gym or dojo.
And weightlifting is easy(there are weights everywhere and for cheap!) but I am trying to do it without getting veins which most people I see at a gym WANT to get but I'd rather not.
Maybe if you train with low weight and high reps to maintain current strength and increase endurance, it might avoid that. Don't quote me on that, though.
Angelus wrote:/offtopic

Castor Troy? Oh a VA. I actually thought you guys meant that insane criminal that Nicholas Cage played in the movie Face Off.
Castor Troy actually makes AMVs, and doesn't really do anything in the way of voice acting. However, him and I have worked together on several occasions to do some real acting. In the second link, I'm the guy with the Flux Capacitor shirt and he's the guy with the Wii shirt.
We're actually quite similar Kendamu. I was inspired by Vegeta's dedication and willingness to train and almost forsake everything else. Except, in my case, I'm more of a Tien, while you're more of a Goku. I trained hard but could never reach the same level of skill as my peers in martial arts. No matter how hard I trained. I even ditched my girlfriend back then to really concentrate on working out at the gym (and use the time and money I would've used on my girlfriend for energy drinks, creatine, amino tablets, nitric oxide, mega-multivitamins, whey protein, etc.) and training in martial arts (Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu) more often but I just didn't get to be on par with the higher-level martial artists that I train with. Far from it.
There's always going to be someone better than you. It's a fact of life. Even if you become a World Champion, someone will come along and take your belt after awhile. So don't sweat the fact that you aren't the very best of the best and keep training because you enjoy it. Even with the people who I could beat up and down the street, the usually had skills that I didn't have and we could still learn from each other. For example, I used to regularly fight a guy who had a lot of kicking skills and, in a Taekwondo match, he could score all kinds of points on me. If we went into MMA style sparring I could fight circles around the guy without issue. Also, there was a point where the only thing keeping me in the game and beating people was the fact that I could take tons of punishment. While they'd have so much skill that I'd get beaten round after round, they'd get tired before they could knock me out and I'd turn the tables like pretty much any Shonen main character (or Rocky Balboa).
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 am

It was one of my models to become an artist with illustrating books or making comic books. First one happened the second one will maybe happen sometime as I will have more time to do one alongside working regularly and doing music professionally.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Well I'm really into the show and because of that I make sure I work out everyday. If I miss a work out day, I just feel like dying. But I'm no martial artist sadly.
SAME!!!!

I lift fairly heavy and train as much as I can. I do like to take a days break once in awhile however but then I feel terrible!

Gotten pretty buff these days.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada