The first time that you watched the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

The first time that you watched the Japanese version?

Post by The Iron Fjord » Sun May 13, 2012 2:34 am

For me, it was in late 2006, and I was relatively new to YouTube. I searched up some DBZ clips, and I found a 3 minute video of Goku and Freeza fighting in Japanese. I had never seen Japanese DBZ, and it blew my mind. Freeza sounded bad ass, but I didn't care for Goku's little girl voice, but the music and uncut hits/blood kicked real ass!
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The first time that you watched the Japanese version?

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun May 13, 2012 2:39 am

DBGT raw on the International Channel back in 2003-ish.
-Joey

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 am

For me, the moment I started watching, I chose the Japanese version. Being a late addition to the fandom, I had the Blue Bricks, which were my first real DB purchases. This choice was also made because I generally prefer to watch anime in Japanese, so that preference sort of "saved me" from a dedication to the English dub.
So mondo lame.

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 am

Fansubs in the late 90's early 2000's. Goku's voice was always a hard thing for an American to swallow. The music however, EPIC.

csl002

Post by csl002 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 am

I got tired of the racist/stereotypical/unfunny accents in the Dragonball dub, first time watching it. So I switched over.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 am

I'll try not to make this long :P When I was kid my mother used to take me in downtown area :lol: but I remember there was a guy that sold Anime on VHS. so I picked up some tapes (I can't really remember what they were) but I seen Fusion Reborn on VHS!(it was probably a bootleg) I was like :shock: so I got that home and popped that sucker in and the quality was absolutely horrible :lol: and it was all Japanese no subtitles :lol: But me and my brother didn't care as far as we was concerned we hit the holy grail lol that was sometime in the late late 90s I can't remember the year. :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 am

Around maybe, 2010, shortly after I joined this forum, I watched the Jump Special on YouTube which didn't (and still doesn't) have a dub. Then I watched DBZ movie 6 in Japanese, and it just goes on from there. Now I vastly prefer the Japanese version.

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 am

Early 2000s, downloading clips from fan sites truncated from digitised raw or subbed sources circulating at that time.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun May 13, 2012 4:34 am

Before Youtube, in the early 2000s, through some video clips on a Dragonball fan-site.

The first clip I can distinctly remember watching was in DBGT, where SSj4 Goku was charging his Kamehameha against Oozaru Bebi. Naturally, the initial reaction back then was "Ehhh, why the hell does Goku sound like a girl?!".

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun May 13, 2012 5:07 am

For me, it was around 2005/2006 when I found a copy of a DBZ Movie 13 fansub. I wasn't aware of the mistranslations back then so I assumed that the characters actually swore that much in the original. For the series I briefly watched it in 2009 on the Orange Bricks but I officially started watching everything in Japanese when I started buying the Dragon Boxes.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 am

I think it was '07, and I was watching the hell out of the Cooler's Revenge since it was the only Dragon Ball DVD I owned at the time. For whatever reason I chose to switch to the Japanese version, and I was like: :shock: "Did he just say bastard? In a children's cartoon? I have to show my friends how hard-core I am!"
Needless to say, my 10 year old mind was blown.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 13, 2012 7:00 am

My first experience? This one will have a little story behind it.

Sometimes whenever me and my Dad would spend time together, he had a house he was looking after for some people. Every week, I was allowed to rent some DVD's nearby at a local video store. At the time, this was how I discovered GT for the first time.

The recent DVD at the time were the episodes of the Super Saiyan 4 Goku vs Baby fight. For some odd reason, I had discovered the Japanese version of the show and so I decided to check it out.

The only parts I can actually remember watching were Dan Dan Kokoro, the eye-catchers and Goku's Kamehameha killing Baby as he escaped and was killed.

I wasn't really wowed at the time really and I promptly forgot all about it for the next DVD's I rented of GT.

Needless to say, even though I've become smarter than I was back then, I still like GT and can't find myself to really hate it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 13, 2012 7:34 am

When Kai started in Japan, I watched the first episodes with Raditz, but stopped because I didn't have a PC, and didn't have much influence in my opinion about the Japanese version and the English dub, apart from the fact that there was cursing in the Japanese version (I wasn't in anime back then, and I'm still not in it since I only watch Naruto apart from DB and I don't plan to watch any other, and I was surprised that an animated series had such words in it). I wasn't on forums back then, and I was spoiled by the DB Wikia back then, since I was visiting it a lot those years, so I thought that the FUNi dub & the Season Sets were... awesome. :oops: So I started my first DB marathon in 2009, and watched DBZ-DBGT-DB+Movies & Specials from the Season Sets, and then, thanks to the Wikia, I also started watching Kai, so that I could catch-up. Then I watched the Japanese version, and discovered that the FUNi dub was crap. And then, I discovered Kanzentai, and I read about the Daizenshuu & the Dragon Boxes, and then last summer, I started a new marathon, but from DBox sources, and everything in Japanese. I watched almost everything available, and I'm glad I did. Now, I only allow myself to watch the Japanese version.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 am

I've never watched the original Japanese anime in its entirety, but the first time I saw clips of it must've been only a couple of years ago. Gokuu's voice never really bothered me, and I didn't even know it was a woman voicing him until I saw people on YouTube complaining about it. I just accepted them, the same way I accepted the dub voices. I thought the music was a bit cheesy, though.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 am

2005-06 but wasn't the complete series, only when the Dragon Boxes Z started being released I watched the series thoroughly.

It doesn't help that I was pirating the series in 2005-06 and the audio that was in them was "odd" music I never heard before (FUNi's US music) but now I'm aware of it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 am

I think it was the late 90's or very early 2000's, through clips on whatever old-school fansites hosted them at the time, and then the international channel when our cable provider finally picked it up.
Trans rights, now!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 am

Somewhere around the mid-2000's when browsing the internet.

At first, I found it off-putting (I was introduced to the anime dubbed) for typical reasons (I.E. Goku's voice) but after certain enlightenments and watching more episodes, I grew to like it more and more. One of the first things I've noticed is that Goku is less naive and cuses more than his dub counterpart, he is like a hillbilly manchild(he uses terms like "yo" and "ain't") rather than a brain-dead Superman. Another thing I noticed is that the dialogue tends to be far more involved and less brimmed with corny jokes and chessy one-liners. Third thing I noticed is that the soundtrack is fully orchestrated opposed to the synthesized music that Faulconer composed for the English dub and it actually leaves room for silence during moments that need the suspense so the novelty doesn't wear off nearly as fast. Final thing I noticed is that the female characters sound a lot less obnoxious, for example I can't listen to Bulma's dub voice without having a slight grimance on my face and whenever dub Chichi yells, it hurts my ears. In the Japanese version, that is not the case.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun May 13, 2012 9:15 am

I first recall seeing the series in Japanese during the days of the International Channel, probably around early 2002. I was at my cousin's house, and they had just upgraded to a fancy-schmancy iO package on their cable. Well, I wanted to watch DBZ, but it wasn't on Cartoon Network at that moment. My cousin said he knew a different channel it was on and switched it over. I thought it was pretty cool, if I remember, it was one of the Vegetto episodes. I pretty much forgot about it until I switched languages on one of the games out of boredom.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am

Well, since this explanation involves :1. The internet, and 2. My memory, it will be convoluted as crap. But I'll try my best. I had never cared for the series before. So I watched the first few episodes of a let's play of "Buu's Fury" and then I made my decision. It was two years ago, I was bored, and I had found something to fill the gap. I loved the let's play, but I didn't want to spoil anything, so I stopped watching it. Then I watched the entirety of Dragon Ball (153) in English, on the Net. I knew that Dragon Ball Z in English was convoluted, with odd amounts of editing, and different BGM, so I embarked on the seemingly impossible task of finding DBZ in English, with the Kikuchi score, on the internet. Then I found some people talking about the Dragon Boxes on the Funi forums and here. I decided I would purchase the Dragon Boxes for Christmas, along with some of the Dragon Ball season sets. So in between the summer that I watched DB dubbed and Christmas, I watched no more episodes. I only lurked on then-Daizex and listened to the podcast, and somewhere late November I was 'converted' by you guys. So when I got Dragon Box #1, I popped in the disc and didn't change the language.

So what really made me choose the Japanese over the English, was the Kikuchi score, since I had gotten used to it in dubbed Dragon Ball.

Edit: So the date I began watching in Japanese would be January 2011
Last edited by Zestanor on Sun May 13, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am

Ugh, I am embarrassed to recall this little tidbit, but I remember back in 1999, when FUNimation announced they were releasing Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle uncut... well, actually, to go a bit further off-topic, this was when I was ordering tapes of the original 13 episodes of Dragon Ball from their website, and my packages would often come with announcements from FUNimation. I still vividly remember receiving the yellow piece of paper with a photocopied, black and white image of Freeza, proudly proclaiming that the next 50 episodes!!! would soon be coming, obviously referring to season 3. And I, being just educated enough and just stupid enough to be dangerous, remember excitedly sending an e-mail to FUNimation saying, "Wow, that will get us to, like, the Cell Games, won't it?!" :lol:

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah. I got another flyer like that about Sleeping Princess being uncensored. And I remember being afraid that that meant it wouldn't be in English at all, and that I'd have no idea what was going on, so I actually did shoot them an e-mail asking if it would be in English, adding the stipulation that "I wouldn't want to buy it if it was in Japanese." And having to type that statement makes me want to go back in time and bitch slap my 13 year-old self for making my 26 year-old self look bad on an Internet forum!

Little did I know that I had actually heard the Japanese score earlier that year when Toonami aired DBZ movies 2 and 3. I didn't know about the replaced score at the time. I just assumed that was higher budget movie music, and that's why it sounded so much more awesome than what I heard on the TV show.

Eventually, the Internet and sites like DaizenshuuEX, DBZ Uncensored, and Planet Namek (as well as the sad story of what continues to happen to the Star Wars Trilogy) instilled in me my philosophy of watching media in its original version. I do recall seeing a short, grainy RealPlayer clip of the Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fight, and I think that might have been my first actual exposure to the Japanese anime. At least, that's the first I can remember. And it's funny because I really don't care for that fight at all. What stuck out to me, of course, was the brief snippet of voices: how bizarrely deep Vegeta's voice was, and how bizarrely high-pitched Goku's was.

Finally, by 2000, having found out all that had been done with the English dub, I went to my local Suncoast, picked up the Pioneer VHS of DBZ Movie 3, and I never looked back... much to the annoyance of my friends, who always responded to my love of the original version with some variation on, "We're Americans, so we watch the American version."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2