The first time that you watched the Japanese version?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: The first time that you watched the Japanese version?

Post by dprez » Tue May 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Castor Troy wrote:In 1999, a certain someone here sold me the Majin Vegeta episodes (228-239) and the rest is history after that. :)

I still managed to catch those episodes on their initial CN and IC runs, their VHS and DVD releases (except the orange bricks), and finally getting them on Dbox 6. It was always surreal watching them get better in quality every time.
This is why you old people should feel good that you are so old! :lol:

Sometimes( :P ), I wish I wasn't just some naive 9 year old kid back in 1999, but a teenager like some of you guys were. Then I'd be aware of the true, original Dragon Ball. A DBZ fan of the late 90's, this is what I never experienced...

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
son veku wrote:Is that sarcasm because isn't movie 9 a Broli movie.
No, DBZ Movie 9 is the Bojack movie. Lots to enjoy about it, specifically from a sound design standpoint... oh hey, which I happened to talk about last podcast episode for those interested ^_~.
YES. The music. The sound effects. Everything is top notch. Especially the voice acting.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Wed May 16, 2012 6:31 am

As with someone else, I got my first taste with different clips of DBZ downloaded through Kazaa (those were the days). Up until around 2010 I had only seen various clips, but then I learned of Kai and started watching that. It got me thinking that I should watch the original DB and DBZ in Japanese. So I did.

Last year is when I finally watched GT (after years of avoiding it) in Japanese. But that's only because my dad was watching it as well ('cept he was watching the dub).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am

Eire wrote:The channel airing Dragon Ball switched background dub in the middle of GT and pact the reader I've heard Goku squeaking.
Yep, that's it! I already knew the Japanese version from games and downloaded episodes and this came as nice but weird surprise. You know, going with French dub and then switching it in half.

I really liked the dub of the Movie 12 in Polish, it was like having the never done czech version of Dragon Ball, as I understand Polish pretty well and the languages are simmilar :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 am

I retract my earlier statement.

My first experience with the Japanese cast was through playing Budokai 1 but my first actual time watching them in the series was through GT.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 am

Polish dub of 12th movie was decent because it was made for cinema and in the time when the series was already popular (but the best actors were used as minor characters). I doubt if any station here would risk dubbing, when they could use cheaper erzac. :(
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Gounks

Post by Gounks » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am

My first ever experience to anything Japanese and Dragon Ball Z related would have to be the Playstation 1 game, Final Bout.
Other than that, I pretty much stayed watching the dub until 2010 when I finally watched the 2008 OVA. From there I was pretty much hooked on re-watching all of Dragon Ball through to DBGT in Jap.

Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. I found the Jap with english subs so much better and funnier. Oh, not to mention that music. It just has such a different feel to it. It's awesome!

SongOfStorms125

Post by SongOfStorms125 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:39 am

I know it’s not 'watch' but the Pal version of Budokai 1 had the Japanese voice overs. and that grew on me so much that when I imported the orange bricks i tested out the Japanese audio and have not regretted it since. (Although I do watch the dub at points due to nostalgia)

thefatman13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefatman13 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:51 am

First Dbz dvd I got. Frieza Saga - Death of A Prince uncut. Saw it had a Japanese audio track as well so I put it on. As soon as I heard goku's voice I was like wtf, as were my parents (who both love Dragon Ball). I was around 7 years old at the time.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue May 22, 2012 5:55 am

Rented out the Bojack Unbound DVD, and tried to put the subtitles on with English audio but it always wound up on Japanese with English subtitles so I just watched that. Had a big WTF moment at Goku's voice. :lol: After that I didn't watch it again until I had to for PTESS on Raging Blast 2.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

My first time watching the series in Japanese was through fan subbed vhs tapes.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 am

1998 - Gotenks fights with Buu in the Hyperbolic Chamber + Buu escapes and eats everybody on the Lookout.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Someone had a handful of DRAGONBOX clips on YouTube; might still be there. There was a clip of the fight between Vegeta and Buu, and I loved the way it was scored to the various hits Vegeta lands. I saw no real advantages to looking back at the dub.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 pm

thefatman13 wrote:First Dbz dvd I got. Freeza Saga - Death of A Prince uncut. Saw it had a Japanese audio track as well so I put it on. As soon as I heard goku's voice I was like wtf, as were my parents (who both love Dragon Ball). I was around 7 years old at the time.
The first time I heard Goku's original voice I was surprised and liked it very much, it felt natural for the character, though, I don't get why dub fans hate Goku's original voice so much, guess they've attached to FUNimation's one and can't accept another one.

It's just odd to me seeing people bashing Nozawa's Goku, that's all. Not saying anyone from here, though.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I was playing Supersonic Warriors on GBA when I heard Goku's Japanese voice... I was like "WTF?!".
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.