Dragonball Characters in Hogwarts Houses

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nikkolas
Regular

Dragonball Characters in Hogwarts Houses

Post by Nikkolas » Sun May 13, 2012 7:55 am

So I dunno if anyone remembers but a while ago I made a topic about discussing various DB characters' moral alignments.

Well this is sort of the same thing except now I'm combining two of my favorite series.

Which DB characters do you think are best described by the following?

Gryffindor
Bravery/Courageousness
Chivalry

Hufflepuff
Hardworkingness / Steadfastness
Honor / Judiciousness
Goodheartedness / Virtue

Ravenclaw
Intelligence / Studiousness
Analytical / Deductive / Tactical Thinking
Mindful / Contemplative
Good Sense

Slytherin
Cunning
Ambition
Charisma

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragonball Characters in Hogwarts Houses

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 am

All of the bad guys would presumably be in Slytherin, but here are the ones that come to mind.

Gokuu, Tenshinhan – Gryffindor
Yamcha, Kuririn - Hufflepuff
Piccolo, Gohan – Ravenclaw
Tao Pai Pai, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell - Slytherin

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I always thought that Hufflepuff was kind of like the middle ground between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. I.e. the average Joe would probably be sorted into Hufflepuff. Gryffindor and Slytherin are stark opposites; the former comprised of mainly heroic good-guy types, the latter comprised of, well, jerks.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun May 13, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:All of the bad guys would presumably be in Slytherin, but here are the ones that come to mind.
Those all come to mind for me too except for Yamcha in Hufflepuff. I actually don't know where he would fit but I'm having the same hard time putting Chiaotzu though he is probably more in Hufflepuff than Yamcha. I feel like he could be the Neville Longbottom of Gyrffindor except without a comeback ><

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 13, 2012 8:19 am

Beji wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:All of the bad guys would presumably be in Slytherin, but here are the ones that come to mind.
Those all come to mind for me too except for Yamcha in Hufflepuff. I actually don't know where he would fit but I'm having the same hard time putting Chiaotzu though he is probably more in Hufflepuff than Yamcha. I feel like he could be the Neville Longbottom of Gyrffindor except without a comeback ><
I don't exactly know where he'd fit either, which is why I just plonked him in Hufflepuff. It's the same problem I had with the moral alignment thing, because characters are too complex to be stuck into such restricting categories like that. For example, where the fuck would Batman go?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Sun May 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I don't exactly know where he'd fit either, which is why I just plonked him in Hufflepuff. It's the same problem I had with the moral alignment thing, because characters are too complex to be stuck into such restricting categories like that. For example, where the fuck would Batman go?
Batman would be headmaster because he is almost a perfect mix of all those things or the sorting hat would let him choose because I can't see him wearing it :lol: But this is a Dragon Ball forum so lets stick to that xD

Not only are some characters too complex but some just... don't fit? Where does the Ginyu force go? I assume they would have to all be split as much as I'd like to place them in one category(and they would too) but Recoome obviously wouldn't be in the same as Ginyu

Ravenclaw: Guldo
Slytherin: Ginyu
and the others??? I don't know

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Beji wrote:Where does the Ginyu force go?
I'd put all the Ginyu clowns in Slytherin since they're all talk and ruthless. They're the guys in business class in college that'd exploit anything they could, while giving no credit to anyone else.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Gryffindor (Bravery/Courageousness, Chivalry)
Kuririn
Yamcha (any other time than his entry below)
Kid Goku

Hufflepuff (Hardworkingness / Steadfastness, Honor / Judiciousness, Goodheartedness / Virtue)
Adult Goku
Kid Gohan
Mr. Buu
Chao-zu
East Kaioshin
Nail

Ravenclaw (Intelligence / Studiousness, Analytical / Deductive / Tactical Thinking, Mindful / Contemplative, Good Sense)
Adult Gohan
DBZ Piccolo
Any Buu form with Piccolo absorbed
Vegeta (Namek arc)
Cell
North Kaio
Kami
Saichoro
Dende

Slytherin (Cunning, Ambition, Charisma)

DB Tenshinhan (he is more neutral than goodhearted IMO, he is a hard worker, but his honor system is a bit skewed)
Yamcha (Based on his bandit years, and him whimping out when Freeza attacked Earth, also his overconfidence early in the series)
Piccolo (pre-Z. Not as intelligent as later on)
Any Buu form sans Mr. Buu and his absorption forms (except for Kid Buu, the other forms have some form of ambition, charisma and cunning).
Freeza
Vegeta (Saiya-jin Arc)
Dabra
Babidi
Any of Freeza's goons including the Ginyu force

And also, it doesn't matter that much if the characters are complex. Harry Potter was suited for Slytherin (although the sorting hat wasn't sure), but was chosen for Gryffindor.
It's also said that it's not always clear to one hundred per cent which house one belongs to. Some cases are very easy to decide, some others hard to decide.
It's pretty much about to choose the house that fits the closest to the individual.

Sincerely,

//Harry Potter nerd
ps. How utterly convenient it was that all the time turners were accidentally destroyed!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 pm

You guys got it wrong, if Harry Potter has taught me anything it's that every single good guy goes to Gryffindor, every villain goes to Slytherin.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:You guys got it wrong, if Harry Potter has taught me anything it's that every single good guy goes to Gryffindor, every villain goes to Slytherin.

Goku, Tenshinhan, Krillin, Trunks, Goten, Yamcha would probably be in Gryffindor. They are very brave, overall.

Gohan, Piccolo and Bulma would be in Ravenclaw.

Vegeta in Slytherin.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:You guys got it wrong, if Harry Potter has taught me anything it's that every single good guy goes to Gryffindor, every villain goes to Slytherin.
Draco Malfoy was in no way pure evil. He was misled and frightened. This was shown later in the books. And also, Severus Snape is a good example.

This is also why I put some dragonball characters who can seem "good" into Slytherin.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Sun May 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Honestly, given the kinds of jerks we get for 'heroes' in the Potterverse, I'd tend to put Vegeta in Gryffindor. He's got the macho stubbornness most of the Gryffs are defined by, and his jerkiness isn't that far out of whack with the kind of douchiness most of the Gryffs get up to. The double standards the narration applies to character actions in those books is mind boggling.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 am

Fin wrote:Honestly, given the kinds of jerks we get for 'heroes' in the Potterverse, I'd tend to put Vegeta in Gryffindor. He's got the macho stubbornness most of the Gryffs are defined by, and his jerkiness isn't that far out of whack with the kind of douchiness most of the Gryffs get up to. The double standards the narration applies to character actions in those books is mind boggling.
Why? Every person is a very complex being. No person is just brave, or just selfless, or just good, or just kind, or perfect. Every person has a variable degree of fear, of selfish interests and actions, of evil, of cruelness, of flaws in them. We are all just different shades of gray, there are no pure whites or pure blacks (well, maybe Voldemort is pure black).

The Hat just sees what primarily stands out in a person and sorts accordingly. Of course, this is not a exact science since people change and can make choices. That is why the Hat also takes into consideration the person's will to go to a certain house and is also why a Slytherin character ended up being one of the bravest in the book due to his choices later in life.

This is also true in real life and the narrative in the Potter books is very smart in making this very apparent in the books. Harry grows as the books go on and, as he grows, he and the readers find out how the grown ups and every one aren't perfect, how everyone in flawed, how our parents and mentors aren't the exception and there are things in them we don't approve, etc. It's a golden rule of life actually.

As for Vegeta, what primarily stands out in him when I think about him are Slytherin attributes, IMO. Which is why I put him there. Of course that doesn't mean that he can't be brave and fight for the good guys, like Snape proves. Slytherin is a good house for villains but also for anti-heroes, which Vegeta surely is.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Mon May 14, 2012 8:19 am

I think Mr. Satan could be a fine example of a good Slytherin. He's not particularly cunning but he is ambitious and very charismatic.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Godo wrote:Draco Malfoy was in no way pure evil. He was misled and frightened. This was shown later in the books. And also, Severus Snape is a good example.
You could say that about many villains in fiction. Besides, villains don't have to be pure evil; they merely have to be antagonistic rivals to the protagonists, cast in a negative light. Malfoy was never remotely cast in a sympathetic light until the seventh book, but beforehand, he was consistently portrayed as a spoilt, prejudiced, juvenile douchebag.

Same with Snape. He was displayed as an antagonist to Harry because he unfairly disliked and picked on him due to whatever dealings he had with his father, until we saw how much of a dick James had really been in the sixth book.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Mon May 14, 2012 8:30 pm

rereboy wrote:Why? Every person is a very complex being. No person is just brave, or just selfless, or just good, or just kind, or perfect. Every person has a variable degree of fear, of selfish interests and actions, of evil, of cruelness, of flaws in them. We are all just different shades of gray, there are no pure whites or pure blacks (well, maybe Voldemort is pure black).

The Hat just sees what primarily stands out in a person and sorts accordingly. Of course, this is not a exact science since people change and can make choices. That is why the Hat also takes into consideration the person's will to go to a certain house and is also why a Slytherin character ended up being one of the bravest in the book due to his choices later in life.

This is also true in real life and the narrative in the Potter books is very smart in making this very apparent in the books. Harry grows as the books go on and, as he grows, he and the readers find out how the grown ups and every one aren't perfect, how everyone in flawed, how our parents and mentors aren't the exception and there are things in them we don't approve, etc. It's a golden rule of life actually.
Atually, my issue with the books is that for the most part they do act like Slytherin is the house of pure evil (look at how Dumbledore compliments Snape at the end -- 'sometimes we sort too early'), while the heroes tend to engage in behaviour that's just as awful as the kind of things the narrator condemns Slytherins for, with no acknowledgement then or later of the hypocrisy. I'd probably like the books a lot more if Harry actually did demonstrate some character growth, but he ends the series the same entitled douchbag he was at the start. I get that Rowling was attempting to do something like what you describe, and I would have loved had she succeeded, but she kept undermining that tone by rewarding her heroes for being petty little bastards.
As for Vegeta, what primarily stands out in him when I think about him are Slytherin attributes, IMO. Which is why I put him there. Of course that doesn't mean that he can't be brave and fight for the good guys, like Snape proves. Slytherin is a good house for villains but also for anti-heroes, which Vegeta surely is.
I dunno, I can't really think of Slytherin attributes that really stand out for Vegeta, not after Namek anyway. His cunning is really toned down during the Cell and Boo arcs, while his vicious warrior ethic pretty much stays prominent throughout all the arcs, and I think that attitude fits the Gryffindors more than the other three houses.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Fin wrote:
Atually, my issue with the books is that for the most part they do act like Slytherin is the house of pure evil (look at how Dumbledore compliments Snape at the end -- 'sometimes we sort too early'), while the heroes tend to engage in behaviour that's just as awful as the kind of things the narrator condemns Slytherins for, with no acknowledgement then or later of the hypocrisy. I'd probably like the books a lot more if Harry actually did demonstrate some character growth, but he ends the series the same entitled douchbag he was at the start. I get that Rowling was attempting to do something like what you describe, and I would have loved had she succeeded, but she kept undermining that tone by rewarding her heroes for being petty little bastards.
I'm not trying to change your opinion on the matter but I will comment what I think nonetheless.

Dumbledore told Snape that as a acknowledgment of how Snape had changed thanks to his will and love for Lilly. And if he had changed that much with the right push, what if he hadn't been selected to any particularly house so soon? What if he was allowed to be in the company of other and better people besides the likes of the ones he spent most of his time with? What if he didn't have his "allegiance" fated so soon? I believe this was what Dumbledore was getting at, and not a random comment implying that Slytherin sucks compared to the other houses. Dumbledore wouldn't imply something so "low".

I think the books portray the Slytherin house fairly, as well as the other houses. No house is portrayed as good or evil. In fact, besides Hufflepuff, no other House seems selfless. Ravenclaw only wanted the smartest (among other qualities), Gryffindor only wanted the bravest (among other qualities), Slytherin only wanted the cunning, selfish, shallow and ambitious (among other qualities)... Only Hufflepuff didn't really discriminate and treated everyone fairly, accepting everyone.

Pretty much "not being a jerk" is only a required attribute for Hufflepuff (and I think that this might be your problem with the books. The most pleasant, normal, and overall fair characters belong, by definition, on the Hufflepuff House, precisely the one that was less shown in the books).

Therefore, its clear that many Gryffindors can be jerks and bullies, but still, the most defining trait will be their bravery and they are very passionate, among other qualities.

As for Slytherin, its clear that its not only composed of evil persons, but Slytherins tend to be very self-centered, selfish, ambitious, power hungry, the end justify the means, not caring for almost anyone, amoral, without scruples kind of guys. And many people who are like that, grow up to become truly evil.

Honestly, I view the books differently from you. To me the houses make perfect sense and I don't think that any of them is glorified or demonized if we pay attention to the books. The shades of gray are ever present in them and in the characters (with characters easy to love and easy to hate from all the houses) and the author makes this obvious, even when Harry doubts his father actions and worth as a good person. Speaking of Harry, I think that Harry grows a lot in them but he never loses his Gryffindor qualities that make him very brave but also very passionate. He is a "hot head" because of it, his feelings, his passion take the best of him a lot of times... But even in this regard he evolves tremendously towards the end.

I dunno, I can't really think of Slytherin attributes that really stand out for Vegeta, not after Namek anyway. His cunning is really toned down during the Cell and Boo arcs, while his vicious warrior ethic pretty much stays prominent throughout all the arcs, and I think that attitude fits the Gryffindors more than the other three houses.
Like I said, Slytherins are "self-centered, selfish, ambitious, power hungry, the end justify the means, not caring for almost anyone, amoral, without scruples kind of guys". Vegeta is like that, even though he learned to care later on. I honestly think that the best fit for him would be Slytherin. He could be griffindor, but Slytherin seems to fit better, IMO.
Last edited by rereboy on Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Eh, fair enough. I wasn't trying to change your mind either, just wanted to give my say. If this was a Potter forum I might get more involved, but I'm cool with agreeing to disagreeing. I can see how your interpretation of the books would lead to a Slyth Vegeta. I just came out of the series thinking that a lot of the self-centredness and ends over means thinking was shown to be very Gryffindor as well, so those traits don't really affect my placement of him all that much.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Fin wrote:I just came out of the series thinking that a lot of the self-centredness and ends over means thinking was shown to be very Gryffindor as well, so those traits don't really affect my placement of him all that much.
In some Gryffindors, sure, either because they can be jerks sometimes or because their emotions and hot heads get the best of them. We see this in James, in Sirius, Harry, etc.

But there a lot more Gryffindors. For example, Neville, who is not like that. Shades of gray, basically.

In Slytherin, most of the time, they are like that, not just because they can be jerks, but because they are power hungry, ambitious, don't care for much people, etc. Its basically the difference from where their drive, ambition and goals come from, which makes all the difference.

But, you are right, this is not a Potter forum. I'll shut up now :lol:

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am

Godo wrote:Yamcha (Based on his bandit years, and him whimping out when Freeza attacked Earth, also his overconfidence early in the series)
Not sure I agree here. Almost everyone was afraid of Freeza`s power the first time they felt it. Some, like Kuririn and the others felt it in Namek. When Freeza came to Earth, the ones who show more awe and fear were exactly the ones who weren`t in Namek before. Still, they didn`t ran off.

The Ginyu would almost definatly, at least in my mind, fit in Slytherin. They would be akin to the bullies that bodyguarded Malfoy all those years. Except with some breakdance moves on they`r own. Chaotzu would likely fit in Hufflepuff. Yamucha and the rest of the humans in Gryffindor, althout Hufflepuff
wouldn`t be a bad choice either. Piccolo, I could see him in Ravenclaw, he was always a fairly analytical type for me.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed May 16, 2012 9:22 am

I think the books portray the Slytherin house fairly, as well as the other houses. No house is portrayed as good or evil. In fact, besides Hufflepuff, no other House seems selfless. Ravenclaw only wanted the smartest (among other qualities), Gryffindor only wanted the bravest (among other qualities), Slytherin only wanted the cunning, selfish, shallow and ambitious (among other qualities)... Only Hufflepuff didn't really discriminate and treated everyone fairly, accepting everyone.
Of course nobody differs the houses in terms of morality:P And we know a person who betrayed best friends but was one of the Griffindors.
IMHO Rowling didn't deliberately wanted to differ houses, but she just forget about mentioning that and share her attention. Her major mistakes IMHO were:
-1st book and Dumbladore's change of mind as a positive thing- taken away already given prize and humiliating 1/4 of the school? Even as 9 years old fan of Gryffindor I felt that it was unfair.

-Constantly stressing the superiority of Griffindor, like it was a kind of prize. Why couldn't Hermione be in Ravenclaw? She was everything, but the brave one at the beginning.

-Not stressing enough the other house's characters. Gryffindor has a tower (cool!), Slytherin dungeon (wow!), Hufflepuff is, well, by the kitchen. And no personality. Ravenclaw is the brainy one, but where are Hufflepuff's Hardworkingness / Steadfastness, Honor / Judiciousness, Goodheartedness / Virtue?

-Treating all Slytherin as a Voldemort's Hitlerjugend- mainly in 7th book where there are threaten like this even by teachers. Wouldn't it be less trouble to cut their throats just after ceremony? 7 books about importance of choices and now whole house is to blame en masse?
-Harry's centered narration backfired horribly in 7th book where instead of seeing situation in Hogwart we see three bratty teenagers having a camping. Really wasted plot and place.

To OP post: What about MrSatan? Hufflepuff?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food