Did Dragon Ball introduce you to Asian food?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Did Dragon Ball introduce you to Asian food?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I wasn't exactly welcomed by Dragon Ball but instead by Crayon Shin-chan, in almost every episode they end up eating fideos (Spanish), which in English means noodles. Misae's sometimes too lazy to cook up food for her family. :lol:

Here's a video showing Son, with his relatives and friends having a good time eating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrrYDwm5F8

Definitely gotta try sushi too.

By the way, I'm still learning how to eat with chopsticks. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did Dragon Ball introduce you to Asian food?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 pm

No, take-out from Chinaman (restaurant).

But it did introduce me to Onigiri.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Fri May 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Hmm, no. I come from a Pakistani family so I've had asian food all my life. Now if we're talking east asian food then... no. You eat asian food all your life starting at a young age and you associate other asian foods in the pile. Japanese food in Seattle is not uncommon. So good.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 pm

No...just, well, life and the world in general introduced me to Asian food. I find this to be a somewhat strange question.

I don't like sushi or rice balls, and I can't eat with chopsticks, but I love duck, noodles and wasabi (strong as fuck, but you warm to it).
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat May 19, 2012 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 pm

No, not at all. Growing up in New York, there were quite obviously a multitude of Chinese people around. I've been to every type of East Asian restaurant you can think of, from Mongolian to Burmese. However, I never much developed a taste for it; I like Thai food, but at the buffets I went straight for the jello. With regards to DB, I do credit it to my learning that rice balls are in fact rice balls and not donuts as the Pokemon dub would have you believe.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I am Asian...so no. :lol:

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri May 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I can't eat chopsticks
Me neither. Too splintery for my pallet.

My family loved Chinese take-away, so I was introduced to Asian food from an early age. I wasn't until much later that I ate a lot of Japanese food, but that was still before Dragon Ball. I'm very fond of sushi, and luckily I live near a great little take-out place at the moment.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:58 pm

I can eat them. :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Yeah chopsticks took me a while to master, but I got it now. Not looking like a lazy-ass american in chinese restaurants anymore, HA!
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I am Asian...so no. :lol:
Same here (I'm Korean, but born and raised in America).

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat May 19, 2012 2:32 am

I learned chopsticks in 2 seconds, recently injured my right hand from punching someone in the face, learned chopsticks with left hand in 2 seconds :D

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 19, 2012 2:49 am

Simple answer: No
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Jackal puFF
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 am

Ditto. Did they show the types of food Goku ate? I would love if Kanzenshuu got a guide on that! Please make it happen!!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 19, 2012 5:31 am

Jackal puFF wrote:
Ditto. Did they show the types of food Goku ate? I would love if Kanzenshuu got a guide on that! Please make it happen!!
Watching the world tournament eating scene...

- Noodles
- Dumplings
- Some sort of yellow substance on a plate. Corn maybe?

I'm only counting food he ate directly, not what was seen on the table.

And then there's that one scene at the restaurant in Dragon Ball...

- Beef Ramen
- Onigiri
- Some sort of meat slices.

I'm no good at identifying oriental food, so I described what I did see on screen. There's still some food I couldn't identify.

So yes, they do show the types of food he eats.

Just imagine if he got the munchies after getting high, especially for Saiyan levels of eating.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 am

Bussani wrote:
Me neither. Too splintery for my pallet.
Yeah, my mistake. I'll go back and edit it now. :wink:

A while ago, I went this Oriental restaurant called Yo! Sushi and, because I didn't want to look like a lazy British idiot, I tried to use the chopsticks throughout my meals. But I just ended up looking like an absolute retard, and I think a bunch of seeds and stuff unfortunately fell in my soy sauce too. I only ever ate with a spoon when I was having my chocolate cake as dessert.

I actually like a lot of Oriental food, but a lot of it puts me off too.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 am

I would never try to eat sushi with chopsticks, since I'd look like a fool in the process which is why whenever I want some sushi, I'll get it to take home and eat it with my hands.

As for anything else, I'm pretty much ok eating with chopsticks except for noodles which I have some trouble with.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 am

Gonstead wrote:I would never try to eat sushi with chopsticks, since I'd look like a fool in the process which is why whenever I want some sushi, I'll get it to take home and eat it with my hands.
Yeah, I tried to eat sushi with chopsticks (didn't even think about whether or not I could take it home), but it just kept falling out and I had to awkwardly juggle it into my mouth (if that makes sense). It was a buffet, so by the time I got to the duck udon, I could only eat the duck and not the hot soup or the vegetables (which I didn't like anyway), and had to move on to the chocolate cake.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 19, 2012 7:50 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:A while ago, I went this Oriental restaurant called Yo! Sushi and, because I didn't want to look like a lazy British idiot, I tried to use the chopsticks throughout my meals. But I just ended up looking like an absolute retard, and I think a bunch of seeds and stuff unfortunately fell in my soy sauce too. I only ever ate with a spoon when I was having my chocolate cake as dessert.
Gonstead wrote:I would never try to eat sushi with chopsticks, since I'd look like a fool in the process which is why whenever I want some sushi, I'll get it to take home and eat it with my hands.
Funnily enough, a lot of types of sushi are finger food and aren't traditionally eaten using chopsticks. Sashimi is the only exception I know for sure, but I'm not really a sushi expert or anything. You should be fine eating nigirizushi or makizushi sushi with just your hands.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 am

Bussani wrote:Funnily enough, a lot of types of sushi are finger food and aren't traditionally eaten using chopsticks. Sashimi is the only exception I know for sure, but I'm not really a sushi expert or anything. You should be fine eating nigirizushi or makizushi sushi with just your hands.
I guess I made a derp there. :oops:

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 19, 2012 7:54 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I guess I made a derp there. :oops:
I did, too. I think it's because westerns often get "Don't eat with your hands!" drilled into them at an early age. Although...it's fine at McDonalds and such...