Did Dragon Ball introduce you to Asian food?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Did Dragon Ball introduce you to Asian food?

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 19, 2012 7:58 am

Bussani wrote: Although...it's fine at McDonalds and such...
It all depends on the type of food really.

Sometimes I eat Pizza with a knife and fork depending on how it was cooked even though it's perfectly ok to eat it with your hands.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 19, 2012 8:20 am

Bussani wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I guess I made a derp there. :oops:
I did, too. I think it's because westerns often get "Don't eat with your hands!" drilled into them at an early age. Although...it's fine at McDonalds and such...
Well, for certain foods, I often eat with my hands at home and at some restaurants. But my sister recently told me that it's bad-mannered to eat with your hands at a place like Nando's. But obviously, you'd look like a pretentious twat if you tried to eat a burger with a knife and fork.

And I only used the chopsticks because 1) it was something new (even though I have a pair at home that came with the flat that I never even use with noodles and stuff), and 2) because I didn't want to look culturally ignorant.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Being Asian myself, that thought has never crossed my mind. In fact, the question in the original post sounds kinda stupid and laughable.
The world is your's.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Dragon Ball may not have introduced me to Asian food as a whole, but I sure do get hungry for a Japanese cuisine every time I watch an episode where they are chowing down on food. :D
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 20, 2012 9:58 pm

This thread makes me hungry every time I read it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm

I seen onigiri for the first time on DBZ. But most other Asian or Japanese foods no. I love Japanese food and I somehow learned how to use chop sticks easy. If you can pick up a small piece of candy, like a skittle with chop sticks, you can eat any bite sized food with them.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon May 21, 2012 2:30 am

As a Filipino, I was in a confident nature eating Asian and Norh American cuisines. Since I am no fan of sushi, I bought also so many liberties tasting Chinese and Filipino foods despite the fact that I really hold the Saiyan's nature of eating in a gluttonous fashion but not really that much. Every time I go to a all-you-can-eat buffet, I am still carrying my Saiyan tactics of eating styles like Goku and the other Saiyans has been.

Gonstead wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I am Asian...so no. :lol:
Ditto. Did they show the types of food Goku ate? I would love if Kanzenshuu got a guide on that! Please make it happen!!
Watching the world tournament eating scene...

- Noodles
- Dumplings
- Some sort of yellow substance on a plate. Corn maybe?

I'm only counting food he ate directly, not what was seen on the table.

And then there's that one scene at the restaurant in Dragon Ball...

- Beef Ramen
- Onigiri
- Some sort of meat slices.

I'm no good at identifying oriental food, so I described what I did see on screen. There's still some food I couldn't identify.

So yes, they do show the types of food he eats.

Just imagine if he got the munchies after getting high, especially for Saiyan levels of eating.
Add the Jump Tour '08 when Goku and Vegeta ate the Sushi and Pork Chiasu.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 21, 2012 4:20 am

Nope.... It was Chinese restaurants where I started to wonder if they're really eating this s**t in Asia and then went on search of REAL Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese food.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 am

tinlunlau wrote:Being Asian myself, that thought has never crossed my mind. In fact, the question in the original post sounds kinda stupid and laughable.
Yeah, I find it hard to imagine Asian food as a "foreign concept" since I've been eating the stuff even before I could walk. :wink:

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 am

My family isn't Asian, but my mom made fried rice fairly often when I was a kid, along with a few other Chinese recipes every once in a while. (I'm not Mexican or Italian either, but I could say the same thing about some of those foods; it was just one of many types of food that was normal to us.) Then when I got old enough, I started doing some of those recipes myself. Nowadays I probably cook fried rice for dinner at least a few times per month. And of course there's Chinese restaurants, too. But I haven't had much besides (Americanized) Chinese food.

Dragon Ball actually did introduce me to a few specific food items, though. Like pilaf, which I've ordered at restaurants a few times solely because of the DB character. I also really want to try gyouza/jiaozi sometime.
tinlunlau wrote:Being Asian myself, that thought has never crossed my mind. In fact, the question in the original post sounds kinda stupid and laughable.
It's possible he grew up somewhere with little or no Asian food available.
-Rachel

SSR223

Post by SSR223 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 pm

While I was always pretty partial to chinese food as a growing child-- Dragon Ball didn't really cement my love for asian cuisine. However, it did help with my budding interest in Eastern-Pacific culture in general. Though... every time I watch that scene where Goku pigs out at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, it gives me a massive craving for take-out/chinese buffet :d
Don't wake me without a master plan.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 am

Nope, raised(sorta) in Japan so I got to try some weird yet yummy foods.
Not a fan of octopus..
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 am

What I really don't like are Japanese bean fillings!!!! Damn......
But not more than dango with soy sauce.

But I guess, different continents, different tastes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 am

Ate the spicy noodles yesterday but I think it overcooked so some of them got too blacky and uneatable. :|

I'll be more careful next time.

Gonna go eat some vegetable soup now.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 am

TripleRach wrote:My family isn't Asian, but my mom made fried rice fairly often when I was a kid, along with a few other Chinese recipes every once in a while. (I'm not Mexican or Italian either, but I could say the same thing about some of those foods; it was just one of many types of food that was normal to us.) Then when I got old enough, I started doing some of those recipes myself. Nowadays I probably cook fried rice for dinner at least a few times per month. And of course there's Chinese restaurants, too. But I haven't had much besides (Americanized) Chinese food.

Dragon Ball actually did introduce me to a few specific food items, though. Like pilaf, which I've ordered at restaurants a few times solely because of the DB character. I also really want to try gyouza/jiaozi sometime.
jiaozi or "dumplings" as Anglo-speaking people would call it, is pretty common for me. I swear, I've start eating less dumplings ever since i saw the movie "Dumplings" (look it up, it's a movie starring Asian-American actress Bai Ling). What you should really try are "guo tieh" (pot stickers) and "xiao long bao". I love how there's always soup oozing out every bite of a "xiao long bao".

Another tip for you folks out there, try not to ask for a fortune cookie whenever you dine in Asia. Nobody eats that stuff over there.
The world is your's.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am

As a Jamaican American with significant Chinese and Indian heritage, I grew up eating Asian and Jamaican foods. My favorite restaurant was Rice Bowl (before the owner changed the name), and it was a Chinese-Jamaican restaurant.

Also, I'm a green Dragon Ball fan, so I guess not.

EDIT: I meant Chinese Jamaican restaurant.
Last edited by sonikku956 on Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

sonikku956 wrote:Also, I'm a green Dragon Ball fan, so I guess not.
What's a "green Dragon Ball fan"?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Wed May 23, 2012 12:10 pm

To be "green" - new or inexperienced.
So, a new fan.

As for the topic, I grew up near a large Asian community, so knowing/eating such food is common.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
sonikku956 wrote:Also, I'm a green Dragon Ball fan, so I guess not.
What's a "green Dragon Ball fan"?
I've only became a fan in October.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 23, 2012 12:21 pm

StarRot wrote:To be "green" - new or inexperienced.
So, a new fan.
Ah, OK.