Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Can anyone post screencaps of them? I cant seem to find any. I want to see how bad they are and if there zoomed in like the blue bricks.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by superrayman3 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Can anyone post screencaps of them? I cant seem to find any. I want to see how bad they are and if there zoomed in like the blue bricks.
Could you be a little more specific on which singles you're referring to (are you talking about the Japanese Dragon Ball singles or are you talking about something else)?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:53 pm

sorry about that. The Funimation (uncut) ones.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 pm

These are from episode 14 off of FUNimation's "2 Disc Special Uncut Edition TOURNAMENT SAGA" release. Sorry that they aren't .pgn files. Don't have the blue bricks. So, hopefully someone else can help with that side of things.

Image

Image
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Here's the blue brick shots:
Image
Image

User avatar
dprez
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1381
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by dprez » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Those blue brick shots only look slightly zoomed in ( maybe because there of already zoomed in faces ), and have way less grain than the non-zoomed in singles. The blue bricks really ain't that bad. All they lack are the NEP's and original title cards right? Even adding the zooming in, for me they might actually be worth buying if it turns out I can't wait until the Dragon Ball Dragon Box...

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Thank you! I thought the singles would look similar to the Z singles.

I can stand those..so now I just need to figure which would be cheaper lol..singles or bricks.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:59 pm

The BBs screenshots look pretty good, but it's zoomed in quite a lot and no grain at all, anywho, this surely is a great remaster in comparison to the OBs.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Gonstead » Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 pm

I thought Funimation would have actually included the NEP's on the Blue Bricks, seeing as they were dubbing with the original audio. Damn.

Do they have NEP's on the singles?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The BBs screenshots look pretty good, but it's zoomed in quite a lot and no grain at all, anywho, this surely is a great remaster in comparison to the OBs.
Really? It doesn't look like more than a few pixels compared to the singles. And other than the first thirteen episodes, I don't think it's zoomed in much more than the Z singles.

And no there are no previews on the singles.

EDIT: Here's a comparison I dug up to show how it improves with the later sets. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... SONEX3.png

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Thats not bad at all

User avatar
Zestanor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The BBs screenshots look pretty good, but it's zoomed in quite a lot and no grain at all, anywho, this surely is a great remaster in comparison to the OBs.
Well, for DB and Z, Toei gave Funi everything except for the NEP Japanese audio. They gave them the NEP video, so they could dub it (and they did dub it; the episodes aired with minimally altered NEPs), but Toei withheld the audio, presumably so that Funi couldn't release a DVD set rivaling the DBoxes. So Funi's release of the DB and Z singles contain no NEPs (well, some of the Z singles have just one NEP that previews the next disc.) Anyway, By the time Funi got to GT, Toei had forgotten about this, and they gave Funi the NEPs with Japanese audio. So the GT singles have NEPs! But the GT seasons don't, because they had to be consistent to the Z seasons. They haven't included the NEPs on the seasons because they don't have the Japanese audio for Z's.

Now though, they have the audio for the NEPs on Z episodes 1-291. But because of package deal legalities, they aren't allowed to copy and paste that into their muted NEPs. So we will probably never see NEPs on a non-DBox release again.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Here's a comparison I dug up to show how it improves with the later sets. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... SONEX3.png
Still, something is way off on the 'reds' on the season pic. They are more reddish-brown than red. And I highly doubt 'reddish-brown' is more correct; why paint with an ugly mix rather than something simple, like red?

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by sumpter360 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't know why, but the zooming really bothers me. I'm sure, had I not seen the comparisons, I'd be fine, but just knowing how much picture I'd be losing, I could never buy the Blue Bricks.

It sucks, because I've never seen the entirety of Dragon Ball (only about 50 episodes, in fact), but I MUST hold out until a Dragon Ball Dragon Box is released.

Just knowing that perfection is out there... I can't take less >.<
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Singles (linkdude20002001)
Image

Blue Bricks (Pokewhiz7)
Image
It's noticeable they've zoomed in and it was lost quite an amount of picture for this matter, unfortunately.

Also awaiting patiently the arrival of Dragon Box Dragon Ball BOX.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

csl002
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by csl002 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:34 pm

It's worth noting that the first 13 (aren't these the episodes that were previously never released uncut in the US? maybe that's why -- perhaps they had no uncut masters...) episodes of the blue bricks are based on new film scans and have good quality, good enough that if the whole series was this way I'd almost say there was no need for a DB Dragon Box release in the US, but the rest of the series is from the old masters that were used on the singles, except with a bit of DNR (not orange brick levels of overkill of course, but look at the blobbish lines in that comparison a few posts up), as well as something that seems looks like a mix between linedarkening and warpsharping, and of course zooming. They tried to make it blend in with the newer masters for the first eps I guess. All episodes have a weird issue when the camera pans/zooms though. Lines and small details disappear and reappear and the grain (or possibly the noise from the telecine machine) starts to "streak." Could be because of the damage repair or DNR they used.

However I'd go with the bricks because Funi's old DVD compression was really bad and the blue bricks are soft telecined (encoded progressively.)

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5952
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:37 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It's noticeable they've zoomed in and it was lost quite an amount of picture for this matter, unfortunately.

Also awaiting patiently the arrival of Dragon Box Dragon Ball BOX.
That's just the intro. They reuse the exact same intro throughout the series, and it's not indicative of the actual zooming done to the footage of the episodes themselves.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Fizzer » Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 pm

sumpter360 wrote:I don't know why, but the zooming really bothers me. I'm sure, had I not seen the comparisons, I'd be fine, but just knowing how much picture I'd be losing, I could never buy the Blue Bricks.

It sucks, because I've never seen the entirety of Dragon Ball (only about 50 episodes, in fact), but I MUST hold out until a Dragon Ball Dragon Box is released.

Just knowing that perfection is out there... I can't take less >.<
There's really no such thing as a perfect release, and there probably never will be, because the Dragon Boxes have pretty heavily edited colours compared to the original aired version, yet everything else is incomplete/cropped/cut/has-missing-NEPs-and-original-title-cards/DVRed/also-has-edited-colours.

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Fizzer wrote:There's really no such thing as a perfect release, and there probably never will be, because the Dragon Boxes have pretty heavily edited colours compared to the original aired version, yet everything else is incomplete/cropped/cut/has-missing-NEPs-and-original-title-cards/DVRed/also-has-edited-colours.
Also the Dragon Boxes have the next-episode-preview and credits flipped from where they originally were.

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by Fizzer » Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Also the Dragon Boxes have the next-episode-preview and credits flipped from where they originally were.
Really? I didn't know that. Oh, and even the Dragon Boxes have a few bits of footage missing, although they're far better than anything else in that respect. For example, the NEP for DBZ episode 1 that should come after episode 153 of Dragon Ball isn't there. Personally, I think that's the most important NEP of all because it helps to glue DB and Z back together into one series, as I think they should be, and provide a good flow from one to the other.

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Dragonball singles DVD quality?

Post by sumpter360 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Fizzer wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:I don't know why, but the zooming really bothers me. I'm sure, had I not seen the comparisons, I'd be fine, but just knowing how much picture I'd be losing, I could never buy the Blue Bricks.

It sucks, because I've never seen the entirety of Dragon Ball (only about 50 episodes, in fact), but I MUST hold out until a Dragon Ball Dragon Box is released.

Just knowing that perfection is out there... I can't take less >.<
There's really no such thing as a perfect release, and there probably never will be, because the Dragon Boxes have pretty heavily edited colours compared to the original aired version, yet everything else is incomplete/cropped/cut/has-missing-NEPs-and-original-title-cards/DVRed/also-has-edited-colours.
While that may be true, I'd rather have the release that is closest to perfection. For me, I just can't see myself buying a product that's inferior to all that it can be, and may be, if the Dragon Box ever does come to Region 1.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Post Reply