Dub or Viz-specific terminology you're fond of?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Dub or Viz-specific terminology you're fond of?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 8:25 am

Is there any dub or Viz-specific terminology that you're particularly fond of, whether or not they're correct?

I've always liked how Viz translated "Kaiou" as "The Lord of the Worlds", because while it's somewhat more of a mouthful and you might run into problems with titles such as "Makaioushin", it just sounds appropriately grand and changing "King" to "Lord" gives it more of a mystical vibe.

I'm also fond of how Viz translated Yamcha's "Rouga Fuu-Fuu Ken" to "Fist of the Wolf Fang Gale" (although they occasionally dropped the "gale" part).
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Dub or Viz-specific terminology you're fond of?

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 27, 2012 8:33 am

I've always liked the Lord of Worlds and Lord of Lords too, and the way they translate Kami as "God" unlike Funimation. I think I prefer most Viz terminology, really. Is The Lord of Worlds a translation of "Kaio", or is his name Kaio and his title The Lord of Worlds?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

Fizzer wrote:Is The Lord of Worlds a translation of "Kaio", or is his name Kaio and his title The Lord of Worlds?
He's never given a name, and his title is "Kaiou" (or "Lord of the Worlds"). Just like how Kame-sennin's never given a name, but his titles are "Kame-sennin" (or "Turtle Hermit/Sage") and "Muten Roushi" (I always forget what that means, but I think it's something like "old martial arts master"; at any rate, Viz seem to adapt it as "The Invincible Old Master", which I also like). Or how the God of Earth/Chikyuu no Kami is never given a name (other than "child of Katatz"), but his title is "God of Earth" (commonly abbreviated to "God", often affixed with the honorific "sama"; in English, that could be "Lord God").

The literal translation of "Kaiou" is "World King" or "King of the World(s)", so Viz adapted that a little to make it "Lord of the Worlds".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 am

As for the dub, I really prefer the spelling "Frieza" (Autocorrect, there's meant to be an "i" in there) to "Freezer", and I'm more fond of "Krillin" than "Kuririn".

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 am

Hercule.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 9:23 am

Destructo Disc, Solar Flare, Tri-Beam, Special Beam Canon, Hercule, Frieza, Nimbus, Power Pole, Hyperbolic Time Chamber and Great Ape.

Even though I now use Kienzen, Taiyoken, Makankosappo, Mr Satan, ROSAT and Oozaru, the others will stay as they are for me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 27, 2012 9:57 am

"Great Ape" isn't really a dub-specific terminology -- it's simply a translation of Ōzaru (大 = big / 猿 = monkey). Pretty sure I've seen it used on Japanese merchandise when it lists both kanji/kana and English for things.

... *searches*... looks like Super Battle Collection figure #39 lists him as "Great Monkey".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 am

And besides, I've heard that the Japanese language is quite iffy or flat-out merges the distinction between "monkey" and "ape" anyway. Something like that. It sounds like a similar situation to the "Jinzoningen/Artificial Human/Android/Cyborg/" debacle.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 am

Surely if those terms were used properly according to their definitions, 8, 17, 18 and 20 would be cyborgs, and 16 and 19 would be androids?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 11:15 am

Fizzer wrote:Surely if those terms were used properly according to their definitions, 8, 17, 18 and 20 would be cyborgs, and 16 and 19 would be androids?
Yes, technically. But Akira Toriyama didn't even use the term/s properly in the original manga, which is why I find it stupid how people argue that "Android"'s wrong when "Jinzoningen" was wrong in the first place.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun May 27, 2012 11:57 am

I say Ten or Tenshinhan but I don't mind Tien or Tien Shinhan. I also like to use the dub attack names: Special Beam Cannon, Spirt Bomb etc. I think the only thing that really bothers me is Viz's choice to use Vegerot. I get there reasoning but it just sounds so nasty.
Last edited by SparkyPantsMcGee on Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun May 27, 2012 12:57 pm

The use of Chi in the viz volumes. I know it's actually Ki, but they could've used power or energy like the dub did, which would've been lame.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun May 27, 2012 1:14 pm

I always prefered the way the dub pronounced Kaioken as Kayoken. I also really like Special Beam Cannon.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun May 27, 2012 1:47 pm

More specifically I just notice Hercule and Herculopolis in the manga until Akira revealed Mark as Satan's real name. I also go with the Ginyus like Burta, Recoom, Ghurd, Ginyu, and Jhees to go with the dairy pattern over "Recoome", "Jeice", "Burter", and "Guldo" due to errors until Jhees' name is mistaken for juice.

Paikuhan's FUNimation name, "Pikkon" is affixed with pecans but I suggest that name means "Pork-Rib rice".
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Ahh yes, I forgot to add Tien to the mix.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Sn4tcH

Post by Sn4tcH » Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 pm

I like Krillin over Kuririn as well. Frieza over Freezer. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
"I don't need to see Goku in 5000 Giga-watts in my way back machine to be happy" - NeptuneKai

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 27, 2012 8:50 pm

dprez wrote:The use of Chi in the viz volumes. I know it's actually Ki, but they could've used power or energy like the dub did, which would've been lame.
Chi and ki are pretty much the same thing unless you start getting into the technicalities and differences between Chinese and Japanese beliefs.

A couple of people have mentioned "Freezer", but I don't think any of the English translations use that, do they? The Japanese name doesn't have the long vowel that would make an "er" at the end.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun May 27, 2012 10:26 pm

"Freeza" is "Freeza" in Japan, and the moronic "Frieza" here, but it's ALWAYS pronounced the same as "Freeza".

I don't know where people get that it "Should be Freezer in Japan". Maybe they think it's written as 「フリーザー」 instead of 「フリーザ」? Is that it?

As for dub terminology that I like... I can't think of any, tho I don't mind Krillin and Bulma. The alternatives are a little awkward to be pronounced in English.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Sun May 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Tribeam
Spirit bomb
King Yemma
Special beam cannon
solar flare

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm

I also don't mind their iterations of Enma Daioh, Yama/Yemma. Considering they're following another version of the same concept.

It's Yu Yu Hakusho that I think it's ridiculous they translated Enma's name (Seriously, you change "Enma" to "Yama", but leave "Koenma" alone?!?!)
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman