If you had free reign over a DB reboot

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: If you had free reign over a DB reboot

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:14 am

Saiga wrote:Dragon Ball Redux - It's a rewrite of DB/Z/GT/Online to mesh everything official into one unified continuity without contradictions. That even includes things like DB heroes and SS3 Broli. :P
:o Where is it?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: :o Where is it?
Well... here, would probably be my best answer. The changes that make each movie or character fit in continuity are mostly told through the character sheets. I'm sorry, I'm a bit bad at explaining it because I guess it's not a conventional way of presenting it. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 am

It's unorthodox and complicated, I'll give you that. xD

In short, I'm working on writing up crappy (unlike Kaboom and GTR, I don't have a proofreader), summary-style fan fic chapters that are placed on my wiki once finished. I don't include any actual dialogue so that the reader can imagine whatever version of the characters they want, be it Goku's original hick nature and accent or his slightly more educated and heroic Funimation self. Currently, I've only finished two chapters that cover up to the end of the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai and DB movies 1 and 2 mixed in, and I'm now working on a Gaiden that covers the Super Saiyan legend...though it's not going anywhere fast. lol

I also do character art, short bios and brief summaries of their respective arcs on occasion, on my Deviant art account. This is mostly to show of changes made to the characters instead of leaving it up to the fan's imagination. Though, with as many times as I redo the already existing sheets, I don't make much progress in terms of characters. xS

Over all, it's a pain in the ass project that moves really slow, but that doesn't stop me from trying to move forward. lol At least I know how Mike and Hujio feel about all the Kanzenshuu content they have to keep porting over, as I find it next to impossible to find the time to write up the chapters, do the art and flesh out anything on the wiki all on my own.

Wiki: http://www.dragonballredux.wikia.com/wi ... Redux_Wiki
DA: http://the-devils-corpse.deviantart.com/
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:57 am

I read some of it, it looks very good. It would be awesome if it was made as a fan comic. How come you don't have the links in your signature, or a thread about it here?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:06 am

I don't know? I had plans to, but I guess it just wasn't something I felt was worth advertising yet? Bit counterproductive I guess though, since if I made a topic and got more people interested, I guess I'd have a few more people to act as proofreaders while they browsed the pages. xD Also, I originally wanted to make a fan manga ala Mulitverse or the AFs, but I learned very quickly that my nature simply won't allow me to do one. I'd spend a month trying to get a simple page to look presentable, so I'd probably finish volume one sometime around my death. xD Talk about the ultimate cliffhanger?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:45 am

I'm on my university break next week, so if you need any help with it I'll be happy to lend a hand.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 am

I'd make the Saiyans a different human species that the Monkey King created as the ultimate warrior a million years ago. They got too violent and were sent off into space, etc.

Homo Saiyan or Homo Sapiens Saiyan.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

I'd make a Quentin Tarantino-esque film about the Red Ribbon Army.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I would reanimate the whole manga story with modern consistent animation, following closely the manga and just adding extra articulation on the plot, with foreshadowing for example, like Fizzer said. I would employ Takaki Hiroshi for the music because he was awesome on Ultimate Tenkaichi's scenes and could make scenes epic!

But most of all, I would get Akira Toriyama as a creative consultant for what he wants the definitive version of Dragon Ball to be like, whether it's about the sounds, colors, the aura effect, etc... Akira Toriyama's vision seem to evolve as we've seen with the Kanzenban (Perfect Edition) covers, so I would have him into a consultant to say what he wants things to be like, what he would correct (generally more focusing on the vision he has today than the one he had at the same time), or at least have him accept/reject many ideas for every element (special effect for the Kame Hame Ha, sounds and color for the Kinto-Un, outfit for young Goku - based on the anime coloring, his own coloring, his new outfit for the Kanzenban / Perfect edition -, and all other elements).

To summarize:
- Following the manga plot with no filler, or minimal filler to cover a plot hole or foreshadow elements from the future now that the story is entirely known by the producers).
- New HD stunning graphics able to rival other hit anime graphics (One Piece, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist).
- New music by Hiroshi Tataki.
- Akira Toriyama as an active creative consultant to make it his perfect vision of his work nowadays (clothes, colors, forms of special effects, sounds), even if I have to pay him millions to motivate him (you did say we had a very high budget, didn't you? :P)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I would just like to say to TheDevilsCorpse, Goku is too tall. He isn't 5'11", he's 5'7". He's not even close to being 6 feet tall
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I would just like to say to TheDevilsCorpse, Goku is too tall. He isn't 5'11", he's 5'7". He's not even close to being 6 feet tall
I don't care? lol I'm basing my heights off the art and I haven't used a single official height yet because none of them make sense. I'm sure as hell not drawing Goten and Trunks at ~4 feet when they are always drawn around Goku's knee.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:09 pm

My dream would be to make a live-action movie series that's true to the original story, more or less. It would start from a little bit before the actual beginning of DragonBall. For example...I would give Goku's adopted grandfather, Gohan, a bigger part in the first movie, showing his relationship with Muten Roshi, and showing how he was living at Mt. Paozu before he found Goku. Kung Fu would be a HUGE part of the story. You would see Goku being trained as a pupil (Kind of like an old skool kung fu movie). The whole series will be heavily based on the martial arts, displaying various techniques (both fact and fiction) by every other character that makes their way into the story.

Anyway, it would be at least 4 to 5 movies long (maybe more). It would be an epic much like the LOTR movies. And I'd probably end it with Cell (maybe).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, in terms of re-telling the comic story as a single series...

Shin Dragon Ball
The original 519 chapter series retold in two hundred fifteen episodes.

For visual style, I'll try to temper my wishes. For Chief Animator/Character Designer I would like to see Miyahara Naoki take on the role. For animation teams, I'd like to see Miyahara lead as he did in the later episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, basically being in charge of the big episodes. If possible I'd like to see Maeda, Nakatsuru, and Yamamuro act as key animators on his episodes, just to sort of make them the tributes to their old work.

For the usual rotation, I'd like to see Tate Naoki take the lead as the guy in charge of major fights. His work on One Piece is great and he's really come into his own as an animator since his days on the first three series'. If possible, I'd love to see Oonishi Ryou and Kurita Shin'ichi work as key animators under him. Shida Naotoshi would also be cool, although he might work better on another team to balance things out a little.

For another top-tier team, I'd like to see the return of Masunaga Keisuke, assuming he could get a good team together. Maybe make his episodes the 'freelance' episode where talented freelances like Tanaka Hironori, Ryou Chimo, and Kameda Yoshimichi come in.

Believe it or not, I'd also like to see the return of Ebisawa Yukio and Kan'no Toshiyuki to lead a Studio Live team. It's better than another Uchiyama Masayuki. Hakamada Yuuji is working on Toriko now, but that'll eventually end (sooner than One Piece), so seeing Hakamada return wouldn't be bad. If Ohara Tai'ichirou is still around I'd like to see him join one of these teams, unless he can lead a team of equal level.

Well, that's all in the case of getting to head a second round at adapting the comic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 am

Oh, one more thing. I'd make a fourth Dragon Ball film that's as long as a "real" feature-length film, following the original three Dragon Ball films, merging the events of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai and the Piccolo Daimaou arcs.
JulieYBM wrote:Well, in terms of re-telling the comic story as a single series...

Shin Dragon Ball
The original 519 chapter series retold in two hundred fifteen episodes.

For visual style, I'll try to temper my wishes. For Chief Animator/Character Designer I would like to see Miyahara Naoki take on the role. For animation teams, I'd like to see Miyahara lead as he did in the later episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, basically being in charge of the big episodes. If possible I'd like to see Maeda, Nakatsuru, and Yamamuro act as key animators on his episodes, just to sort of make them the tributes to their old work.

For the usual rotation, I'd like to see Tate Naoki take the lead as the guy in charge of major fights. His work on One Piece is great and he's really come into his own as an animator since his days on the first three series'. If possible, I'd love to see Oonishi Ryou and Kurita Shin'ichi work as key animators under him. Shida Naotoshi would also be cool, although he might work better on another team to balance things out a little.

For another top-tier team, I'd like to see the return of Masunaga Keisuke, assuming he could get a good team together. Maybe make his episodes the 'freelance' episode where talented freelances like Tanaka Hironori, Ryou Chimo, and Kameda Yoshimichi come in.

Believe it or not, I'd also like to see the return of Ebisawa Yukio and Kan'no Toshiyuki to lead a Studio Live team. It's better than another Uchiyama Masayuki. Hakamada Yuuji is working on Toriko now, but that'll eventually end (sooner than One Piece), so seeing Hakamada return wouldn't be bad. If Ohara Tai'ichirou is still around I'd like to see him join one of these teams, unless he can lead a team of equal level.

Well, that's all in the case of getting to head a second round at adapting the comic.
Hmm, interesting. You sure have put a lot of hard work into this. :)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:01 am

I wrote that .pdf over the course a months but came up with the rest of the post basically on the fly. Eventually I'd like to solidify what I'd like to see for the animation in 6.0.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:24 am

JulieYBM wrote:I wrote that .pdf over the course a months but came up with the rest of the post basically on the fly. Eventually I'd like to solidify what I'd like to see for the animation in 6.0.
Yeah, it was an intriguing read. Hope to see more.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I would make a new series based on stuff that we never saw in the Dragon Ball Universe like Captain Ginyu's original body and the villain that steal away Elder Kaioshin into the Z sword. Unlike GT which just rehash other ideas that we already seen then I would try to focus on new ideas instead. Also a female main villain would be cool to see as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:04 pm

I'd go full on Sailor Moon. I'd have nothing BUT secluded little filler stories full of monsters of the day while occasionally touching upon a loosely adapted major arc from the manga. Changed personalities, slightly shifted art style, maybe some new characters and powers tossed in,The whole 9 yards. I've always kind of wanted to see that come into fruition in some form or another.

That or I'd just hand over the reigns to Oda, dude seems to know what he's doing.

Bee

Post by Bee » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 pm

I would make a new anime adapting the manga completely faithfully. It would be animated by the best animators from the TV series (sorry, I don't know any of their names...) and would feature the same Japanese voice actors as used in Kai. For the American release, some key voices would be changed. Doc Morgan as Kaio, Colleen Clinkenbeard as Goten, etc.

The music would be a new score composed by Kikuchi. There would be a few OVAs showing a few points that are not shown in the anime (Mr. Satan's rise to fame, the child of Katatz's story, how Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz started working together, etc.)

There would be many instances of foreshadowing, for example, during Goku's fight with Majunior, a ladybug robot would fly toward the screen for a few seconds.

Insert Songs would be more abundant, playing in many key moments of the series, such as Goku beating Piccolo Daimo, Goku going SSJ, Gohan killing Cell, etc.

The whole thing would be around 230 episodes running from the beginning of Dragon Ball to the end of Z. The ending would be done better, with Goku and Vegeta finally having a rematch without outside forces interfering.

Fight scenes would be choreographed like the Goku vs. Cell battle was (as that battle's animation and style was amazing). There would be less talk breaks and interruptions during fights.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Kai is the closet thing to being faithful to the manga despite minor fillers. I rather not see the same story told again and I think that's why Kai did poorly. I think a prequel series could work too depending who writes it and how they handle the story.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/