When anime did it better than the manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peter291
Not-So-Newbie

When anime did it better than the manga

Post by peter291 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 am

Although I am a bigger fan of DB manga than the anime, I must admit that there are various scenes and moments when anime makes a greater impression. I'm not talking only about animation itself but the whole impression that anime gives. Sometimes a single scream can make us to watch the scene over and over again.

Possibly there are fans who consider whole anime series being better than the manga :)

Thinking quickly about few examples:

- Goku's first ssj transformation and x20 kaioken against Freeza.

- Vegeta's Final Flash.

- I'm not a fan of fillers, but I like those showing training before TBs and Saiyans' arrival.

Write your moments of the series, that you think were better presented by the anime.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: When anime did it better than the manga

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 am

Personally... never. :P There are some manga moments that could use some fleshing out, but the anime always takes it too far.

Kai might strike that delicate balance though, but I wouldn't know as I dropped it really early on.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 am

Saiga wrote:Personally... never. :P There are some manga moments that could use some fleshing out, but the anime always takes it too far.
Nuh-uh. Trunks Special... oh, and Vegeta's self-destruction.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Saiga wrote:Personally... never. :P There are some manga moments that could use some fleshing out, but the anime always takes it too far.
Nuh-uh. Trunks Special... oh, and Vegeta's self-destruction.
I don't actually like the Trunks Special.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

Saiga wrote:I don't actually like the Trunks Special.
Blasphemy. xD
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 am

I'm not a fan of fillers, but I like those showing training before TBs and Saiyans' arrival

This. I think the Saiyan Saga had it best with the fillers , robots and dinosaurs and all.

Another example, Tenshinhan actually getting to try out the Mafuba.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 am

I believe the anime did better than the manga at everying pre-Namek.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 am

In the finale of the Cell Games, when Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan & Yamcha go to help Gohan and remember how Goku & Gohan influenced their lives goes to the top for me.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm

I think it normally comes up when people list their favourite filler scenes (and the podcast went over this too), but the humans and Piccolo flying in to help Gohan when he's having his Kamehameha battle with Cell. Gets me every time.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Goku meets Goten For the First Time

In the manga, he just points and says "Eh, that my son?!" but in the anime, you get a heartwarming scene that would drive even the manliest of men to tears

Gohan vs Cell (beam struggle)

In the manga, the Z-Senshi just damn themselves as they watch Gohan struggle but in the anime, they talk about how Goku and Gohan influenced their lives and make an effort to help even though the odds are against them

SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta

In the manga, it was just a couple panels of punches and kicks but in the anime, it's a worthy rematch between the two pure-blooded Saiyans
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Fight filler. That's about it. Only with good animation studios though.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Vegeta's last stand against Freeza. In the manga, it's just the one big chi blast (the one that Piccolo says could destroy the planet), whereas in the anime, Vegeta gives an impressive (albeit ineffective) display of his new power. I just love the part where Vegeta launches the barrage of chi blasts that Freeza effortlessly dodges, even taking time to smirk at Piccolo, Gohan, and Kuririn when he appears right in front of them.

I'm also going to echo SS2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta, Gohan's Kamehameha struggle with Cell, and the Saiyan arc training filler.

Also, I'll add the Daimao filler. Even the Super Holy Water filler helped build the tension in that arc. It's easily my favorite part of the whole series.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Gohan's SSJ2 transformation in the Cell Games.

In the manga it's just kind of sudden and unceremonious. In the anime, it has the benefit of the bird and "Unmei no Hi".
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:10 pm

While I haven't watched the anime in its entirety, I can still pick out a bunch of scenes that I think the anime did better. Well, there's the Bardock and Trunks TV specials, Gokuu's Kaiouken x20, Gokuu and Gohan's first Super Saiyan transformations, extending some battles that really needed extending (like Piccolo vs. Freeza, or SS2 Gokuu vs. Maouji Vegeta), the Saiyan arc training filler, Vegeta's sacrifice, Tenshinhan actually using the Mafuuba against Daimaou, etc.
penguintruth wrote:Gohan's SSJ2 transformation in the Cell Games.

In the manga it's just kind of sudden and unceremonious. In the anime, it has the benefit of the bird and "Unmei no Hi".
I think the fluttering bird was kind of stupid (Android #16 meant nothing to him; it was just the tip over the edge at the climax of seeing all his friends get beaten up by the Cell Juniors), but yeah, Unmei no Hi does really add to the scene. It still gives me chills.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Gohan's SSJ2 transformation in the Cell Games.

I think the fluttering bird was kind of stupid (Android #16 meant nothing to him; it was just the tip over the edge at the climax of seeing all his friends get beaten up by the Cell Juniors), but yeah, Unmei no Hi does really add to the scene. It still gives me chills.
It wasn't just that (he pretty much sees them get brutalized every Saga proceeding), Cell was mentally torturing Gohan the entire fight and his father wasn't there to help him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I think the fluttering bird was kind of stupid (Android #16 meant nothing to him; it was just the tip over the edge at the climax of seeing all his friends get beaten up by the Cell Juniors), but yeah, Unmei no Hi does really add to the scene. It still gives me chills.
I see the bird more as being a symbol of Gohan's inner peace being shattered. But I could be reading too much into it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 pm

For me, it's pretty much anytime there's amazing music involved and the animation is good. Vegeta's initial attack against Reacoome, Gohan turning Super Saiyan 2, etc. Those are the scenes that make the anime worth at least the occasional look.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It wasn't just that (he pretty much sees them get brutalized every Saga proceeding), Cell was mentally torturing Gohan the entire fight and his father wasn't there to help him.
Yeah, I know. It was kind of a package deal.
penguintruth wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think the fluttering bird was kind of stupid (Android #16 meant nothing to him; it was just the tip over the edge at the climax of seeing all his friends get beaten up by the Cell Juniors), but yeah, Unmei no Hi does really add to the scene. It still gives me chills.
I see the bird more as being a symbol of Gohan's inner peace being shattered. But I could be reading too much into it.
I never read anything much into the bird, and I don't think it was essential to the scene. Just seeing Gohan's shocked face, as the music kicks in, and then he finally explodes with that epic scream.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

The scene where Kid Buu is stunned that Vegeta refuses to stay down.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:The scene where Kid Buu is stunned that Vegeta refuses to stay down.
Could you link me to this scene, please? It doesn't sound that amazing.