Was there a scene in DB's World that made you cry?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Was there a scene in DB's World that made you cry?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am

Even just a little?

As far as I can remember, there's none, however on an anime series called Kiteretsu Ep. 278, man, that scene really made my eyes drops some tears, truthfully. I won't say what it was because it'd spoil it up if anyone's planning to watch the series.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Re: Was there a scene in DB's World that made you cry?

Post by Codarik » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:44 am

I shed a tear the first time I saw Piccolo jumping in front of Nappa's blast to save Gohan. That and Piccolo's dialogue to Gohan before his passing (dub only).

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:49 am

Goku's death against Cell in Kai.

frikkin' King Kai ruining the moment...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm

No. Because I'm a man. 8)

I mean, I think I may've come close in some scenes, like Kuririn's first death, but nothing really.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm a bubbling baby, so here goes:

When Goten meets Goku for the first time. Easy to relate to.

When Vegeta shows up to sacrifice himself to defeat Majin Buu. His interaction with Trunks was heart-wrenching and the talk he had with Piccolo was just so well done.

Pretty much the entire episode in GT when Goku defeats Yi Xing Long. The atmosphere was just so apocalyptic. When Goku rises out of the crater with the Genki Dama and is pretty much invincible makes me fight back man tears.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm

No because as the 2nd opening theme for Hokuto no Ken goes "NO BOY NO CRY".

Anyways Goku's sacrifice. It made everyone teary eyed, even Piccolo. :o
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Necrosaber wrote:I'm a bubbling baby, so here goes:

When Goten meets Goku for the first time. Easy to relate to.
That scene wasn't much as far as the manga's concerned but the anime... :cry:
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Not sure if this counts, but something about the (Japanese version) of Piccolo's Sacrifice cutscene in Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi really tugs at me. Maybe it's because of the clear re-recorded lines lines mixed in with Takaki's heartfelt music, but I really feel the emotion from Masako Nozawa and Toshio Furukawa more so to me than in the original TV scene or Kai. It makes me wanna tear up.. :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsZ_LcAVRkE
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:18 pm

I dunno about actual tears being shed, but there's a handful of scenes that make me kind of misty. Believe it or not, the main things are the very ending of DBZ and the very ending of DBGT. Both of them are the 'ends' of the franchise, and when you've been watching a show for THAT long...well, it ending tends to get to you a little.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:26 am

Closest thing was the GT Special. I didn't think Dragon Ball was capable of that kind of subtlety. I mean, death means something, the world had lost it's innocence but not it's heart, it did GT's "And this is what happened far after" thing better than GT did, and the most well built up and paid off Super Sayain transformation in the series bar-frakking-none. Sure, parts of it were utterly boring, but boy I was surprised.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 am

When Vegeta sacrificed himself to save everyone including Goku. When I was kid I cried my eyes out :lol: and the Ending to Dragonball GT was hard to watch. seeing Goku fly off and call for nimbus and saying ''Until we meet again guys'' I was so sad :(
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:20 am

Goku's little reunion with his grandpa during Baba's tournament

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 am

Gt's ending. It was the only good thing in that show lol.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am

I actually teared up a little watching the end of DBZ recently, when Mr. Satan got mad at Earth for not donating their genki, then it shows the whole planet cheering for him.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Hmm... When Kamesennin gave Namu the water capsule and explained why he couldn't have let Goku win. Also the first time Kuririn died. (Any other deaths after that didn't really get me because they were in heaven... When Kuririn died, you didn't know the Dragon Balls could revive people.) Lastly, when Vegeta was yelling and begging the people of earth to donate to the Genkidama.

Now, there's a difference between sobbing and tearing up. :wink: Tearing up is generally unexpected. Sobbing tends to be forced.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 pm

The final narrating words from GT. I always get teary eyes when I hear it combined with Goku slowly flies away and DAN DAN in the background. I always go "No! Don't leave us! Come back!" in my head.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:35 pm

The end where Goku was flying with Uub on his back. That scene along with Faulconer's little peaceful tune almost had me....course I was like 11 when that happened. (Toonami)
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 pm

In GT, right before Piccolo dies on Earth, when he says goodbye to Gohan. That was very touching to me.

In Z, when Piccolo dies from Nappa's attack. Very sad.

In DB, when Goku is reunited with his grandfather during the fortune-teller's tournament in the desert. I teared up a little.

Oh man.. also in GT, when 17 kills Kuririn in front of 16 and their daughter. The first time I saw that, I was stunned! So sad.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Majin Vegeta and Piccolo's deaths were the only moments in Dragon Ball that got me close. I especially love how the anime portrays these scenes.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:Oh man.. also in GT, when 17 kills Kuririn in front of 18 and their daughter. The first time I saw that, I was stunned! So sad.
Fixed.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.