Did Viz Mess Up? DBZ Title Page Confusion.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Selsiuss
Banned Alternate Account

Did Viz Mess Up? DBZ Title Page Confusion.

Post by Selsiuss » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:10 am

Ok, so I was browsing the DBZ manga on some website when I came across DBZ Chapters 15 and 16(Dragon Ball Chapters 209 and 210) and noticed that the title page for those two chapters are switched in Viz.

In Viz, this is the title page for DBZ Chapter 15:
And in Viz, this is the title page for DBZ Chapter 16:
But in the Kanzenban(Perfect Edition) scans on that website, they are in the opposite positions. The title page for 15 in Viz is the one for 16 on that website, and vice versa.

So who messed up here, Viz Media, the Kanzenban, or that website?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Re: Did Viz Mess Up? DBZ Title Page Confusion.

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:57 am

The kanji says the one with Kamesen'in in the car is Chapter 209, the One with Son and Gohan is 210.

So it should go Car One then So and Gohan one.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, this is all on Viz. Those are obviously kanzenban scans, but they're used in the same order (Kame House truck for 209, Gokuu+Gohan for 210) in the old tankoubon too. The title of 210 even refers to father and son training, so it seems like an odd thing to mix up.
-Rachel

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

TripleRach wrote:The title of 210 even refers to father and son training, so it seems like an odd thing to mix up.
It does, but since Viz changes the titles anyway, this makes a little sense. Viz's title for Chapter 209 is "Goku and Gohan's Training Begins!" while 210 in Viz is "Masters and Student". Maybe they figured that Roshi made more sense for the title page in that chapter, and since Chapter 210's title page worked better for 209's Viz title, it was intentional (The VizBigs and Viz Graphic Novels are both swapped).
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Selsiuss
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Selsiuss » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 am

I was also wondering about another few Title Pages that I'm not sure are swapped or not.

In the Vizbig Editions, this is the title page for DBZ 279:
Is it truly for DBZ 279? I ask because at this point in the manga, many "title pages" are the first page of the chapter, in which "DRAGON BALL" is printed at the top of the page with the first story bits below. Before this, all chapters had a title page unto itself, with the first page of the chapter NOT having "DRAGON BALL" printed on it, so I was wondering why this chapter would have a title page unto itself as well as a story/title page combo.

Also in the Vizbig Editions, this is the title page for DBZ 281:
Is it truly for DBZ 281?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 am

一 = one
ニ = two
三 = three
四 = four
五 = five
六 = six
七 = seven
八 = eight
九 = nine
十 = ten
百 = hundred

The former page says 四百七十八 (four hundred seventy eight), and the latter one says 四百七十五 (four hundred seventy five).

Selsiuss
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Selsiuss » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Thank you for your enlightening reply. I'll refer back to your post when I need to correct any of Viz's mistakes.