Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Mystery Jump Countdown: New DB Movie Confirmed!

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 am

Would anyone like to see the animation like ''Path to Power''?
Image In my opinion that is the best Animated Dragonball film that I've ever seen. Heck I'd love to see it animated like this as well
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am

I'd love to see traditional hand drawn cel animation. But, I know that's not gonna happen. It's not that I hate the new digital stuff. It's just, if I had to pick one...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:40 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:What's the problem with swearing? As long as it's used in an appropriate situation, I'm fine with it. If you're about to die you're not gonna yell out "darn it" or "curses". If FUNimation just started making the characters swear for no reason, like if they had Freeza say "Those eyes, they have the same fucking eyes"! Then yea, I wouldn't like that.
Words like "damn", "hell", "bastard" or "die" aren't swearing but they're inappropriate to be said or even by a child.

The Catalán dub is a great example of authentic swearing.
samuraix123 wrote:Would anyone like to see the animation like ''Path to Power''?
Image In my opinion that is the best Animated Dragonball film that I've ever seen. Heck I'd love to see it animated like this as well
Any of these two would work out nicely, or this:

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 am

Path to Power style works best IMO.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 am

Path to Power's art style and revised character designs still look fugly to me.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 am

Of all the semi-recent/currently-used animation styles; Movie 12/13 art style would be my pick. A little of it showed up in parts of the 2008 special.

Actually, 2008 special art style with RB2 special color palette would be nice.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: Words like "damn", "hell", "bastard" or "die" aren't swearing but they're inappropriate to be said or even by a child.
What do you expect guys being tossed into mountains and being impaled by strange aliens to say when they're hurt? "Darn"? "Oh, poopie"?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:55 am

I wouldn't mind the style they used in the later movies, but Path to power had better animation, even if I don't really like how the characters looked.

Either way, I prefer both over the newest style ....

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 am

Chuquita wrote:Of all the semi-recent/currently-used animation styles; Movie 12/13 art style would be my pick. A little of it showed up in parts of the 2008 special.

Actually, 2008 special art style with RB2 special color palette would be nice.
Yeah this definitely wouldn't be bad.
It wouldn't surprise me though if the animation ended up looking like this
And no offense to anyone but I do consider animation like Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans Remake kinda cheap :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Mystery Shounen JUMP countdown

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Before I get into actual replying, I wanted to touch on this off-topic a bit.
penguintruth wrote:Obviously what we're counting down is a revival of DNA², the hilarious story of a woman from the future trying to prevent a boy from scoring.
:lol: I am amazed that someone besides me remembers that series nowadays. Yeah...definitely...not...Katsura's best work...

On topic...oh man, I...I did not see this coming. I am beyond excited for this! And of course I was away from my computer for when it went out, I always am, bah!

If this turns out to be something very much in line with the 2008 (I think?) Jump special, and also on par with like...Strong World for One Piece, or how Road to Ninja seems to be shaping up for Naruto, then this could be the best thing that's happened with DB in a long time. Until we get more details though, I probably shouldn't get my hopes set up too high.

I mean, if it's just the Boo arc done in movie form, to kind of properly finish off Kai, then that's cool and all. But I'd rather have something new. Ohhh man...draw some plot points in from DBO, and I am so sold.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Man, I certainly hope this isn't half-assed. Give us Tanaka Hironori, Kurita Shin'ichi, Oonishi Ryou, Tate Naoki, Shida Naotoshi, and heck, maybe a little bit of Kameda Yoshimichi if they can. I want this to be a Sakuga nerd's dream come true. :D
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Man, I certainly hope this isn't half-assed. Give us Tanaka Hironori, Kurita Shin'ichi, Oonishi Ryou, Tate Naoki, Shida Naotoshi, and heck, maybe a little bit of Kameda Yoshimichi if they can. I want this to be a Sakuga nerd's dream come true. :D
So do I. I want a younger and talented animation supervisor.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

How about DB done in the style of Takeshi Koike?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Chuquita wrote:Actually, 2008 special art style with RB2 special color palette would be nice.
Those colours were AWFUL, specially the ssj hair
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Would anyone like to see the animation like ''Path to Power''?
Although I prefer this hand drawn style, we'll be seeing the 'new' digital style now, and for the foreseeable future.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 pm

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Man, I certainly hope this isn't half-assed. Give us Tanaka Hironori, Kurita Shin'ichi, Oonishi Ryou, Tate Naoki, Shida Naotoshi, and heck, maybe a little bit of Kameda Yoshimichi if they can. I want this to be a Sakuga nerd's dream come true. :D
So do I. I want a younger and talented animation supervisor.
Me too. If it's a battle-filled movie than I'd say get Tate Naoki to act as Character Designer and Animation Supervisor so we can get streamlined designs and a great set of key animators.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Well, I guess we can safely assume what all of those Super Saiyan 3 characters were leading up to. Sounds cool though, I can't wait to read it when it's thrown on to the 2014 fighting game.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

*Edit: One reply deleted. Never mind.
If it's a battle-filled movie than I'd say get Tate Naoki to act as Character Designer and Animation Supervisor so we can get streamlined designs and a great set of key animators.
That would be the best, really. Shida would be great, too.

fps_anth wrote:Although I prefer this hand drawn style, we'll be seeing the 'new' digital style now, and for the foreseeable future.
Being digitally-made has nothing to do with style. They're still drawn on pieces of paper with pencils.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah, getting Shida in there would be great, too. I think he does some storyboarding so if possible I'd like to see him board and animation a nice, lengthy scene.
She/Her
bisexual milf

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 pm

kei17 wrote:
fps_anth wrote:Although I prefer this hand drawn style, we'll be seeing the 'new' digital style now, and for the foreseeable future.
Being digitally-made has nothing to do with style. They're still drawn on pieces of paper with pencils.
Indeed. But clearly Dragon Ball animation has adopted a 'new' looking style since... the Budokai 2 opening video? Expecting this film to look like the anime or films from the 90s is a pipedream at this point.