Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Mystery Jump Countdown: New DB Movie Confirmed!

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 pm

AgitoZ wrote:FMA is not that big, not even close.
That's my point. If FMA's movie got a limited screening, DBZ has at least the same chance.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:59 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That's my point.
This what happens when I try to quickly skim a recently posted post to see it doesn't cover anything I was saying. :lol:
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm

The biggest a showing I could see this new film getting in the States is a Comic Con showing, but even then I'm not sure FUNimation could have it ready for SDCC 2013.s
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

What I want to know most is what the movie's going to be about.

When it comes to bad guys at this point in the series, post-Buu (even though part of me would really like to see a movie that takes place in-between DB and Z where we could have some big martial-arts-themed baddies and you'd have Goku and Piccolo working together but wouldn't have to worry about baby Gohan since he isn't born yet) I can only think of so far:

-Makaioshin or someone from Dabura's realm (they've got those creepy mind-control masks in DBO after all)
-Villains with magical powers (reality-warpers could be neat if done well; think Janenba but more complex; like completely altering the look of the world)
-Outer Space bad guys (a gang? Freeza remnants? Maybe an evil space organization looking to kidnap fighters for some purpose)
-Time traveling really strong bad guys from an alt timeline who are looking for a challenge
-Evil scientists with mecha suits (like Iron Man type mecha suits)
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 pm

I agree that a limited screening is likely, but I still won't count a major release in theaters. As I mention before that anime and foreign films never had big releases since western audiences are not into those type of films. Ponyo was lucky enough to reach the Top 10 spot when it was released in the US a few years ago. I know Kai is pretty popular but that's on a channel that most people don't have and most people most likely don't even know about it. To me, DB has not been big in the US after DBZ ended in 2003.

If Funi does grab the rights to this movie then I would imagine that they will try to some screening for it for the fans but I still think the movie having a commercial release is still unlikely.
AgitoZ wrote: Isn't that a big reason why this movie could get some kind of release? Besides Pokemon, DBZ might be the biggest Japanese property in the States because just like it it attracted more casual viewers.
The last time I remember that both Bleach and Nartuo were the most popular anime in the US?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Chuquita wrote:What I want to know most is what the movie's going to be about.

When it comes to bad guys at this point in the series, post-Buu (even though part of me would really like to see a movie that takes place in-between DB and Z where we could have some big martial-arts-themed baddies and you'd have Goku and Piccolo working together but wouldn't have to worry about baby Gohan since he isn't born yet) I can only think of so far:

-Makaioshin or someone from Dabura's realm (they've got those creepy mind-control masks in DBO after all)
-Villains with magical powers (reality-warpers could be neat if done well; think Janenba but more complex; like completely altering the look of the world)
-Outer Space bad guys (a gang? Freeza remnants? Maybe an evil space organization looking to kidnap fighters for some purpose)
-Time traveling really strong bad guys from an alt timeline who are looking for a challenge
Those are really good ideas! Imagine if Future Trunks comes back? Would be eye opening.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Thank you so much; I'm very interested to learn what the plot of the movie will be.
It'd be great to see Future Trunks again; I like him and I think it'd be neat to see him interacting with the cast post-Buu.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:09 pm

It would be cool if the overuse of the Dragon Balls backfired on our heroes, giving birth to some terribly strong villains.

:?

It'll be someone from outer space, I'm guessing.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

fps_anth wrote:It would be cool if the overuse of the Dragon Balls backfired on our heroes, giving birth to some terribly strong villains.
They already did that in GT. :P

Usingnero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Usingnero » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm

If the bolded becomes true for this movie then I will be very disappointed, the 2008 special already had that with Abo and Cado not to mention DBO has the remnants as well.
However, everything else in that post sounds great to me. :mrgreen:
I enjoy the Dragon Ball original AND Dub, even the VHS Fan-Sub's.
Supporter of fan made AF material, NOT a fanfiction reader.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Trunks: She's standing right over their...
Goku: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, BULMA'S YOUR MOTHER?!

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:46 pm

So is it confirmed, that this movie will have

Goku destroying planets with hist fist, creating solar system busters on the fly, and moving at massively FTL speeds in combat or what ?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 pm

^If this movie had any of those things then I will lose all respect to this series. It sounds like you are the only one that want those things.
She/Her

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm

shonenhikada wrote:So is it confirmed, that this movie will have

Goku destroying planets with hist fist, creating solar system busters on the fly, and moving at massively FTL speeds in combat or what ?
Of course it isn't confirmed. Why do you keep asking when nothing along those lines has been released?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 pm

I hope that movie will have at least one female antagonist. As much as I like Zangya, I felt that she was underused as a movie villain. It would be so neat to see more strong female fighters in DB universe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Saiga wrote:

Of course it isn't confirmed. Why do you keep asking when nothing along those lines has been released?
Going by his post that he is a DBZ wanker. I would not be surprise if he originally came from The Moviecodec Lounge since a lot of DBZ wankers exist in that site. It seems like he wants those things so that he can say "Goku can finally solo Marvel or DC" going by his post. I don't understand why people like him are into those type of things. I mean who cares?
She/Her

Tracer1
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tracer1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

fps_anth wrote:It would be cool if the overuse of the Dragon Balls backfired on our heroes, giving birth to some terribly strong villains.

:?

It'll be someone from outer space, I'm guessing.
This would be definitely a nice plot 8)

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Saiga wrote:

Going by his post that he is a DBZ wanker. I would not be surprise if he originally came from The Moviecodec Lounge since a lot of DBZ wankers exist in that site. It seems like he wants those things so that he can say "Goku can finally solo Marvel or DC" going by his post. I don't understand why people like him are into those type of things. I mean who cares?
I actually make this comment in jest, not actually serious. Its a common thing on the OBD forum right now.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Doing some research because I'm curious. Upcoming News Theory Time:

-There was a bunch of info about Strong World at the '10 Jump Festa, but noting that Strong World was a December release, not March.
-Currently, Jump Festa's website is outdated; it still lists all the stuff from last year: http://www.jumpfesta.com/end.html
-Jump Festa '12 first began announcing tour-dates at the start of the second full week of September of 2011 via its Twitter page https://twitter.com/jumpfesta .
-Also on that Twitter page, it mentions news about the tour beginning in Shounen Jump #40 of that year
-This week's Jump is #38, making this year's Jump #40's release date September 3nd (unless there's another break week I'm unaware of)

Conclusion: Possible movie-related news-dump 2 weeks from now?

I haven't followed the Jump Festa website regularly since the 08 special, is it typical for them to update with the Jump Festa '13 info this late into the year? For some reason I remember the site being updated that summer of 08 leading up to the tour. I could be wrong though.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:13 am

Perhaps in this movie we'll learn about the creation of the DB World, and the villain will be some dark counterpart to the creator. In other words, the movie will revolve around the conflict between Toriyama-bot and Dr. Mashirito.

Hey, I can dream.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:27 am

I don't really care what it's about, as long as it's good. I would like a new female character that does more than just stand around, regardless of if she's a villain or support (along the lines of Tapion). Like others around here have said; I also don't want Goku to be the main focus. He can defeat the main villain, but at least let the other do something useful against him or give them their own individual henchmen to take out like One Piece does. Other than that, I'd just prefer if the Genki Dama wasn't used as the finisher and maybe give us a unique or at least less common battlefield for part the movie. I understand they want to fight in deserted locations to avoid killing innocents, but most of them look boring. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)