Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by MasterVampire » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice seeing Goku as SSJ3

With Gohan going SSJ (ugh....) and Vegeta I at least hope they will be in their SSJ2 form.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Herms wrote:The summary also says this takes place "several years" after the battle with Boo. The JSAT was specifically set two years after the battle with Boo, so...probably the movie will be later than that, but of course it depends on what they mean by "several".
The traditional "not many, but more than two"? So I'd guess a year or two after the JSAT was set, otherwise you start leaking into territory where characters should probably be growing up more than they they are shown, getting married and/or having kids that aren't in the film (or at least haven't been seen, maybe we'll get Gohan's wedding at the end, or Bluma telling Vegeta she's pregnant...again).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I wouldn't think it would happen, but seeing Tarble make an appearance would be neat. If this does happen after JSAT.

Also, I was thinking...if Cha-La is used in the movie, I wonder if, when FUNi localizes it, we'll get a new English dub of that?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm

As crazy as the song is lyrically, I think we'd be better off leaving it untouched.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Why not? I mean, they dubbed the original DragonBall, DBGT, and Z Kai's songs. Why not Cha La Head Cha La too?

Imagine Vic singing Cha La Head Cha La. That'd be awesome to hear.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 pm

I can see three things happening.

1. They do infact dub CHa-La.
2. They don't and leave it as it is.
3. They replace it with the alternate theme song they use for the dub opening credits.

Of course though Funimation is a different company than it was back 10 or so years ago so hopefully option 3 doesn't come to pass.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why not? I mean, they dubbed the original DragonBall, DBGT, and Z Kai's songs, after all. Why not Cha La Head Cha La too?
Because it's a Kageyama clusterfuck of a song, with the lyrics relating to a bad acid trip. That isn't to say I don't like the song, but I don't think most of the English fanbase would want to listen to it's lyrics in English when they are just so...all over the place. lol I mean:

Breaking through the flying clouds, I Fly Away (Fly Away)
A panorama spreading throughout my body
Kicked in the face, the Earth gets angry (angry)
And makes a volcano explode

In the melted polar ice
If there is a dinosaur, I want to train it to ride on a ball

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:In the trailer had a scene of Goku in space. Get ready for the mindless debates if Goku can breath in space or not soon.
They could be in the atmosphere.... I mean remember that guy who made that huge jump from "space" recently. There could still be air to breathe if you were as superhuman as goku. Plus.... bardock anyone?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:05 pm

bleed0range wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:In the trailer had a scene of Goku in space. Get ready for the mindless debates if Goku can breath in space or not soon.
They could be in the atmosphere.... I mean remember that guy who made that huge jump from "space" recently. There could still be air to breathe if you were as superhuman as goku. Plus.... bardock anyone?
NeoKING wrote:If I recall, didn't Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo go into space in Movie 2 when Dr. Uiro was fed up with the bullshit and decided to do the Earth in with one go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-TrPqxC90
Well ...

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why not? I mean, they dubbed the original DragonBall, DBGT, and Z Kai's songs, after all. Why not Cha La Head Cha La too?
Because it's a Kageyama clusterfuck of a song, with the lyrics relating to a bad acid trip. That isn't to say I don't like the song, but I don't think most of the English fanbase would want to listen to it's lyrics in English when they are just so...all over the place. lol I mean:

Breaking through the flying clouds, I Fly Away (Fly Away)
A panorama spreading throughout my body
Kicked in the face, the Earth gets angry (angry)
And makes a volcano explode

In the melted polar ice
If there is a dinosaur, I want to train it to ride on a ball
Well, if FUNimation dubbed it, I have a feeling they'd just go the route they did with the rest (minus GT) and take the general idea and re-write it ala Dragon Soul, YBCB, Mystical Adventure, etc. rather than the DAN DAN, Wings of the Heart route, where it's basically a singable translation. Haha, the description of acid trip makes sense. I wouldn't doubt if Yukinojo Mori was on acid when it was written in an attempt to get the Shonen mindset, haha.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I guess Pilaf continues to be blue, after all.

About "Cha-La Head Cha-La"... to me, that song, along with "Zenkai Power", are all about a child's imagination. It's a song speaking about a child's burgeoning outlook on the world and its potential. Both songs, really, are Gohan songs. They're about Gohan. About his perspective, coming out from the sheltered existence he had and into the world, experiencing weird, fantastic things and imagining just how much more exciting and fantastic it will get. It's also a song about the audience. Gohan becomes the lens through which we see this world. Previously it was Goku, now it's Gohan.

I think "We Gotta Power" would probably be more appropriate for this movie, though. It seems to be more about an older boy.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 pm

NeoKING wrote:If I recall, didn't Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo go into space in Movie 2 when Dr. Uiro was fed up with the bullshit and decided to do the Earth in with one go?

Well ...[/quote]

That's Movie 2. All of the DBZ movies expect for Movie 9, 13 and 14 don't fit into the timeline at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:

Well
That's Movie 2. All of the DBZ movies expect for Movie 9, 13 and 14 don't fit into the timeline at all.
Yeah, but my point is, don't get too bent out of shape with the whole "How can anyone breathe in space?" thing because we've seen characters other than Bardock breathe in space via Toei. They don't care and neither should we. It just looks cool, so let it rock.
Last edited by NeoKING on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I wonder if Funimation will release this movie along side with the Jump Special?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 pm

The animation looks like they are using the models from the early Artifical Human arc stuff. Goku's bodybuild looks strikingly similar to it.

Not to mention the animation also look like GT stuff, for colors and designs.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Someone decided to make an English Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji59hLs5 ... e=g-subs-u
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Someone decided to make an English Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji59hLs5 ... e=g-subs-u
And the simpletons are already crapping themselves over how much "better" it is to the Japanese voices.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 pm

penguintruth wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Someone decided to make an English Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji59hLs5 ... e=g-subs-u
And the simpletons are already crapping themselves over how much "better" it is to the Japanese voices.
I like both the Japanese and the English? does me liking something in English make me a simpleton?

also everyone, I found on Google Images this pic....maybe some of you might want to use it for something.
http://images.saiyanisland.com/data/602 ... aper-2.jpg
Last edited by samuraix123 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Karasai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Karasai » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:37 pm

penguintruth wrote:And the simpletons are already crapping themselves over how much "better" it is to the Japanese voices.
Maybe because it is?

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 pm

So much hate on the FUNi dub here. :roll:
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community