Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beji
Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Beji » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:31 pm

This is probably already said but IS ANYONE AS HAPPY AS ME THAT TIEN IS FINALLY BACK!? he wasn't even in Son Goku Returns :/ Launch must've been pretty unhappy. And I didn't like that he just disappeared. I know he likes to train alone but he could have popped by in movie 12, or 13, or anywhere...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I think Gohan could turn into Mystic Gohan like he can do with a normal SSj transformation. I still remember the old rumors that Gohan will blow up the Earth if go SSj as Mystic Gohan :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanos wrote:I get the feeling from this trailer that it's taking on a more 'organic' animation style as opposed to the Bardock Special, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, etc. There was something off about the way those looked... almost robotic and stiff, or something. I dunno. The reanimated scenes made for Ultimate Blast were a good indication of how this will look, I think.
Those two specials were low budget, so of course a theatrical film is going to look better. Shida (Hatchihyakku's defeat) and Oonishi's (Super Saiyan Bardock versus Chilled) scenes received the majority of the frames. At worse Battle of Gods will the same quality as Ossu! which would be a godsend in comparison.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Seems like I'm quite late but I am extremely excited. The animation looks great and I just hope they don't fuck up the beam attacks, as they looked very pathetic and terrible in the RB2 special movie with Hatchiyak. I still have mixed feelings about Bils.

Nevermind, can't wait to finally see it.

I like both dubs by the way. Just prefer the English one, so I don't have to follow subtitles and can concentrate on the animation more.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Beji wrote:This is probably already said but IS ANYONE AS HAPPY AS ME THAT Tenshinhan IS FINALLY BACK!? he wasn't even in Son Goku Returns :/ Launch must've been pretty unhappy. And I didn't like that he just disappeared. I know he likes to train alone but he could have popped by in movie 12, or 13, or anywhere...
Yes, he looks pretty cool and it is great that he is finally back.
Ten's new outfit is great and i agree that he should have had some kind of role in the other movies as well.
The Z team looks better when he is around.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Random observation I keep forgetting to comment on: the Muten Roushi looks like he'll be commanding the warriors in this film, judging by that trailer. :lol:

Also, the character's clothing is quite a bit more detailed, espicially Tenshinhan. That's a pretty good indication that Yamamuro wants to try to do some really nice animation, I think.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Seeing Tenshinhan get such a nice outfit; I hope Goku and Vegeta get movie-specific outfits too; even if they only wear them for the party portion of the movie and ditch them for their signature outfits once the plot gets underway. (I enjoyed the 08 special's "Farmer Goku".)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Gohan could turn into Mystic Gohan like he can do with a normal SSj transformation. I still remember the old rumors that Gohan will blow up the Earth if go SSj as Mystic Gohan :lol: .
You've got about 2 dozen characters that can blow up the planet with their pinkies. I doubt a power up doing the same thing would be that impressive.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 pm

I hope they'll be a moment where Piccolo saves Gohan. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Regarding the music, I wonder if we'll get any choir pieces? A choir piece actually titled Battle of Gods would be awesome.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I hope they'll be a moment where Piccolo saves Gohan. :lol:
At this point it would be Gohan saving Piccolo, wouldn't it?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:Seeing Tenshinhan get such a nice outfit; I hope Goku and Vegeta get movie-specific outfits too; even if they only wear them for the party portion of the movie and ditch them for their signature outfits once the plot gets underway. (I enjoyed the 08 special's "Farmer Goku".)
Even as a heterosexual, Farmer Goku was cute.

I think the solution to the power-gap between the humans and Saiyans is simple--just have weaker minions doing work for the main villain... basically, expand upon the Saibaman/Cell Junior idea. That way, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Kuririn, etc. can all have their moments of glory. The problem has always been that the minions were equal to the main heroes, eventually get outwitted and beaten up, then it's this big "YOU THOUGHT THE MINIONS WERE TOUGH? JUST WAIT UNTIL THE MAIN BADDIE FIGHTS!!" dramatic scene... then Goku powers up and kills everybody. Instead, the Saiyans can do battle against the main villain from the start, while the humans can take on the minions. After 13 movies, you'd think this would've happened by now, but eh. Whatever.

I guess Movie 9 would've come the closest, but Kuririn got his ass beat.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Not necessarily. I mean, Tenshinhan still saved Gohan from an attack from Buu.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Not necessarily. I mean, Tenshinhan still saved Gohan from an attack from Buu.
You mean Dende :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:11 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Thanos wrote:I get the feeling from this trailer that it's taking on a more 'organic' animation style as opposed to the Bardock Special, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, etc. There was something off about the way those looked... almost robotic and stiff, or something. I dunno. The reanimated scenes made for Ultimate Blast were a good indication of how this will look, I think.
Those two specials were low budget, so of course a theatrical film is going to look better. Shida (Hatchihyakku's defeat) and Oonishi's (Super Saiyan Bardock versus Chilled) scenes received the majority of the frames. At worse Battle of Gods will the same quality as Ossu! which would be a godsend in comparison.
I don't doubt that the animation will be very fluid in this film. I have heard a few people complain about the style and it confused me. I ultimately told them I think they just don't like digital animation because they even were trashing the jump special (which I think was animated very well personally). I'll admit, the one thing I don't like about the new digital animation is the ki effects (super saiyan aura) and such don't look quite as good as the good old air-brushing technique. But I can live with it I guess.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:20 am

InfernalVegito wrote:I like both dubs by the way. Just prefer the English one, so I don't have to follow subtitles and can concentrate on the animation more.
I've never understood the "Id rather watch something then read it" argument. Reading subs and focusing on what's happening on the screen really isn't that hard.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 am

bleed0range wrote:
This being the case, now that I am slightly enlightened. Here comes a plot theory haha...... I wonder if the "egg" is actually fruit from the tree and Bils uses his power to casually turn it to dust (cuz he is evil like that). As the "god of destruction," maybe the balance that is off is the lack of there being 4 other kaioshin. Maybe someone wasn't doing their job and this went un-noticed until goku grabbed his attention. Maybe that's why Bils and Whis are on King Kai's planet. Maybe they are discussing some kind of imbalance and requesting to meet this Goku person from him because he resides over his quadrant of the galaxy.

In any case, I am somehow betting that this enemy does not endanger the earth. I am willing to bet he is threatening to actually destroy the tree and thus wipe out all future possibility of any shin-jin being born (thus actually destroying the creation of new gods/entities to watch over the universe). That would make the stakes much higher, certainly.
I would love, love, love for the plot to be that complex. As long as it's not "I am a God coming to destroy whoever killed Freeza" or something close to that.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:11 am

ringworm128 wrote:
InfernalVegito wrote:I like both dubs by the way. Just prefer the English one, so I don't have to follow subtitles and can concentrate on the animation more.
I've never understood the "Id rather watch something then read it" argument. Reading subs and focusing on what's happening on the screen really isn't that hard.
I feel the same, I watch more stuff subbed since I'm a big fan of Asian cinema and TV shows. I'm a person who likes watching stuff in it's original format and most dubs end up sucking most of the time in my opinion. Sometimes I will watch a movie or show dubbed depending on the show or movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:54 am

penguintruth wrote:
I thought the whole Piccolo-Saving-Gohan trope was just a Toei thing. Heck, they even subverted it in GT where he saved Goten from Gohan [Baby]. Wow, Goku really just set Piccolo up to be the uncle of all his children, didn't he?

But yeah, the movies often had their own common tropes (especially movies 1-3, if you watch them closely you can tell that the director directed them while he was on a roll, probably inspired by martial arts movies; you can see this from most of the scenes and they way / angles they are executed at), and Piccolo saving Gohan's hide was one of them. With Toriyama at the helm of this one ... Well, we still dunno. I wouldn't mind.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 am

Big Momma wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
This being the case, now that I am slightly enlightened. Here comes a plot theory haha...... I wonder if the "egg" is actually fruit from the tree and Bils uses his power to casually turn it to dust (cuz he is evil like that). As the "god of destruction," maybe the balance that is off is the lack of there being 4 other kaioshin. Maybe someone wasn't doing their job and this went un-noticed until goku grabbed his attention. Maybe that's why Bils and Whis are on King Kai's planet. Maybe they are discussing some kind of imbalance and requesting to meet this Goku person from him because he resides over his quadrant of the galaxy.

In any case, I am somehow betting that this enemy does not endanger the earth. I am willing to bet he is threatening to actually destroy the tree and thus wipe out all future possibility of any shin-jin being born (thus actually destroying the creation of new gods/entities to watch over the universe). That would make the stakes much higher, certainly.
I would love, love, love for the plot to be that complex. As long as it's not "I am a God coming to destroy whoever killed Freeza" or something close to that.
Yeah I am kind of hoping there's more to it then just that too. I think the "goku in space" segment is actually their first fight and that is the one where Goku loses and the final fight scenes are not really shown. The ones in the otehr world with the exploding hour glasses. I kind of think Toriyama is going to go in that direction because he would want to explore a part of the storyline he has yet to fully explain in the manga and if it is indeed in that guide then it means it has at least been on his mind to come up with all that back story he hasn't really been able to tell.