Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm

batistabus wrote:Is there anything official saying Tenshinhan isn't an earthling? I thought a video game mentioned it or something, and there's always that Ozotto theory
Daizenshuu 4 identifies him as an Earthling but with alien ancestry, via the aptly named "Three-Eyed Clan". This gets repeated in Daizenshuu 7, the Dragon Box booklets, some video games, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. So he'd still be an Earthling, but not...well, not a thoroughbred, you could say.

I'd assume when they say Kuririn's the strongest Earthling, they really do mean he's stronger than Tenshinhan, horror of horrors.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Are the three-eyed clan specifically called aliens? I can't seem to find anything on that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 pm

I thought Ten was part alien in his ancestry.

So, the strongest pure Human Earthlings are Krillin, followed by Yamcha and I guess Chaozu?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm

sonikku956 wrote:I thought Ten was part alien in his ancestry.

So, the strongest pure Human Earthlings are Krillin, followed by Yamcha and I guess Chaozu?
He's still considered an Earthling in the same guidebook that mentions his alien heritage, so I think he'd be included as an Earthling in Kuririn's bio.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 pm

It's always annoyed me that Kuririn is the strongest human. There's really no good reason for it. He's small, and doesn't seem tp train all that much. Especially when you look at how he was when he first showed up... I mean, really? That is going to end up becoming the strongest human? And what for? Just as a plot device since he's Goku's best friend?

Tenshinhan spends 24/7 training, coming up with new techniques... I really have a hard time believing Kuririn would beat him one-on-one.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Since when is appearance indicative of strength in Dragon Ball?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am

Didn't Toriyama state in an interview, in classic-casual-Toriyama fashion, that Krillin was stronger than Ten? It might have been the SEGs, because of how they centered on powers and such, but I distinctly remember reading a line where Toriyama just casually states "Tenshinhan was stronger than Krillin, but then some time passed, and Krillin became stronger."

I'm perfectly fine with that answer, but anyone who can verify I'm not crazy would be nice.
Last edited by B on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 am

B wrote:Didn't Toriyama state in an interview, in classic-casual-Toriyama fashion, that Krillin was stronger than Ten? It might have been the SEGs, because of how they centered on powers and such, but I distinctly reading a line where Toriyama just casually states "Tenshinhan was stronger than Krillin, but then some time passed, and Krillin became stronger."

I'm perfectly fine with that answer, but anyone who can verify I'm not crazy would be nice.
Yeah, he's said Krillin's the strongest human on a couple of occasions. Can't remember the interview.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 am

Ten also lacked the advantage of having his dormant powers released by the Grand Elder.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:20 am

B wrote:Didn't Toriyama state in an interview, in classic-casual-Toriyama fashion, that Krillin was stronger than Ten? It might have been the SEGs, because of how they centered on powers and such, but I distinctly remember reading a line where Toriyama just casually states "Tenshinhan was stronger than Krillin, but then some time passed, and Krillin became stronger."
He said something like that in his DB Tenkaichi Densetsu joint interview with Takao Koyama and Masako Nozawa:
Toriyama:
Kuririn was originally supposed to be just a minor role, so to have him become Goku’s best friend in the blink of an eye…

Koyama:
Well, he is the strongest Earthling male.

Toriyama:
You’re right, he is the strongest among the Earthlings. But in spite of that, he tends to end up in a bad way, so I thought, “once in a while, I have to let him be happy,” and had him get married. (laughs)
Saiga wrote:Are the three-eyed clan specifically called aliens? I can't seem to find anything on that.
They're identified as aliens in Daizenshuu 4 and 7.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 am

Well I guess that ends that! I knew Krillin was stronger! So who's the second strongest?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 am

Jackal puFF wrote:Well I guess that ends that! I knew Krillin was stronger! So who's the second strongest?
Mr. Satan, I believe.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:58 am

Jackal puFF wrote:Well I guess that ends that! I knew Krillin was stronger! So who's the second strongest?
If Kuririn's the strongest, and we're counting Tenshinhan, then he'd definitely have to be second. Third would be Yamcha, and fourth would be Chaozu or Yajirobe.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 am

Thanos wrote:It's always annoyed me that Kuririn is the strongest human. There's really no good reason for it. He's small, and doesn't seem tp train all that much. Especially when you look at how he was when he first showed up... I mean, really? That is going to end up becoming the strongest human? And what for? Just as a plot device since he's Goku's best friend?

Tenshinhan spends 24/7 training, coming up with new techniques... I really have a hard time believing Kuririn would beat him one-on-one.
I think Gozar sums it up pretty well
Sean Gallagher, a mutual Twitter follower of mine posted this information himself on a random DragonBall Message Board and was met with not only blind resistance, but actual hostility towards him. I just don't understand the resistance towards Kuririn. Is it because he's short? Because he can be comical? Isn't the entire story of DragonBall filled with our heroes overcoming these types of seeming handicaps? Children saving the world and low-classes surpassing the elites. So why is Kuririn always an exception in fans eyes? It's downright annoying.
And don't forget the fact that Krillin had his power unleashed by the Grand Elder.

mistershin

Post by mistershin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 am

Uub is strongest human, just saiyan!

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 am

mistershin wrote:Uub is strongest human, just saiyan!
Yeah, it already seems unbelievable Krillin being stronger than Tien, he can't be stronger than Uub as well ;)

Also, it's Koyama who initially said that Krillin is the strongest human and, except in The Tree of Might, Koyama never uses Tien, Yamcha, or Chiaotzu in his stories. He must have forgotten them at some point in his career.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 am

Oob has more potential than Kuririn, but we only see him access that power when he's angry, so there's no problem with Kuririn being stronger.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 am

Herms wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Can anyone tell me what Goten's profile says on the character sheet? ^_^
“Goku’s second son. A thoroughbred capable of transforming into a Super Saiyan from a young age.”

The ones for the returning characters are all pretty straightforward like that. Nothing new.

Gohan’s said to have “power surpassing even that of a pure Saiyan”. Maybe a sign he won’t be completely useless in this movie?

Ah, Kuririn’s labeled the “strongest Earthling warrior” again. That’s always fun.
Not fun, it is great! At last this discussion ended.
Herms wrote:
batistabus wrote:Is there anything official saying Tenshinhan isn't an earthling? I thought a video game mentioned it or something, and there's always that Ozotto theory
Daizenshuu 4 identifies him as an Earthling but with alien ancestry, via the aptly named "Three-Eyed Clan". This gets repeated in Daizenshuu 7, the Dragon Box booklets, some video games, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. So he'd still be an Earthling, but not...well, not a thoroughbred, you could say.

I'd assume when they say Kuririn's the strongest Earthling, they really do mean he's stronger than Tenshinhan, horror of horrors.
Actually, it makes sense, Kuririn was always portrayed as being better than Tenshinhan.
Besides, i bet that one of these days they are going to do a special manga about Kuririn, after all,
he is so popular and they could make a fortune with it. Plus, Kuririn is so charismatic.
http://sparky-j.deviantart.com/art/Kuririn-198391622

CaBrPi wrote:
If Kuririn's the strongest, and we're counting Tenshinhan, then he'd definitely have to be second. Third would be Yamcha, and fourth would be Chaozu or Yajirobe.
I think Yamcha is the second strongest. Let's not forget that Yamcha was the other earthling chosen to be
on the JSAT. People, these things don't happen by accident.
JeffJarrett wrote:
mistershin wrote:Uub is strongest human, just saiyan!
Yeah, it already seems unbelievable Krillin being stronger than Tenshinhan, he can't be stronger than Uub as well ;)

Also, it's Koyama who initially said that Krillin is the strongest human and, except in The Tree of Might, Koyama never uses Tenshinhan, Yamcha, or Chiaotzu in his stories. He must have forgotten them at some point in his career.
Uub wasn't born yet, but, i don't think that he forgot about Tenshinhan, Yamcha, or Chiaotzu, simply,
the team already had the strongest human.
Saiga wrote:Oob has more potential than Kuririn, but we only see him access that power when he's angry, so there's no problem with Kuririn being stronger.
Of course not, i bet Kuririn would beat Uub easily in the tournament.
Last edited by Titan on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 am

Kuririn has heart and is brave despite being afraid in t he face of opponets well beyond his range. This gives him a certaian advantage... ita why I like him so much. Training all the time isnt necessarily everything in yerms of making you the strongest.