Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:35 am

elyas11 wrote:So as suggested by Chuquita, another Super Saiyan God design. Added those blue light things you see in the trailer and, as Goku powers up, in the trailer, his hair seems to grow kinda into the length seen in the image below. Not sure if anyone noticed.. Soooo I took on this design.

Great!! I want one with Dark reddish hair, like the one shown when he's powering up to the form.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
NeoKING wrote:Anyway, moving to something more relevant, has it really hit anyone that this movie's gonna be over an hour long?
Hate to sound like an ass, but from the moment the movie was announced I knew it would be longer than the others; simply because of the fact that it wasn't part of one of those Toei Anime Fairs. :P
Were all the previous movies showed at those fairs? Hm, fans must've realized how not-worth it the movies would be if they kept doing them like that, which probably prompted the need to make them more relevant, which would explain why we got a movie about Freeza's brother and four (including the Lord Slug one) that showed us the legendary Super Saiyan. The rest were pretty much ... generic.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:51 am

sintzu wrote: does it look like Vegeta asked the dragon to grant him the ability to go ssj3 ? cause it looks like he is powering up to it at the same time the dragon is summoned
The whole scene goes like this:

It was in the first trailer.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
sintzu wrote: does it look like Vegeta asked the dragon to grant him the ability to go ssj3 ? cause it looks like he is powering up to it at the same time the dragon is summoned

why would the sky go dark when vegeta trnasformes ? it's obviously he is transforming when shenron appears for some reason wiche i think is because he wished for ssj3
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 am

sintzu wrote:
i agree about the ssjg name but the form itself could look really good with good moves

what are the other inconsistencies your talking about ?
Not just the name, but the general idea as well. But I do agree that there's at least potential for it to look cool.

For the inconsistencies, there was Super Saiyan Gohan appearing in the trailers when he should be Ultimate, and Kaio's planet appearing even though it was destroyed by Cell, from what we've seen only Goku can put up a fight against Bils despite the fact that Gotenks and Gohan should be stronger, and even worse he does it as a regular Super Saiyan, when Bils is meant to outclass his Super Saiyan 3 form. It seems like there's not going to be any logic underlying the battles other than Goku needing to be the best.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 am

I'm not gonna judge battle inconsistencies until the movie comes out. For all we know, Birusu could just be holding back a hell of a lot when Goku's a SSJ, or Goku could get a power up. We really don't know yet.

There could be an explanation for Kaios planet to. It's just a waiting game now.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:18 am

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:I'm not gonna judge battle inconsistencies until the movie comes out. For all we know, Birusu could just be holding back a hell of a lot when Goku's a SSJ, or Goku could get a power up. We really don't know yet.

There could be an explanation for Kaios planet to. It's just a waiting game now.
Well, I know that my initial impressions may not turn out to be correct. I'm just going to assume they are until proven otherwise because otherwise I can't really form an opinion.

Also, someone pointed out that Piccolo is the only one not to get a costume change. He's never had costume updates, which I find kind of weird in hindsight. Now I want to see some alternate costume designs for him...
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am

Saiga wrote: Also, someone pointed out that Piccolo is the only one not to get a costume change. He's never had costume updates, which I find kind of weird in hindsight. Now I want to see some alternate costume designs for him...
Well he had one... in filler...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 am

True, true. I meant an alternate gi, though. :P DBO gives him one, but it's barely different from his normal one and I think it's worse.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:57 am

sintzu wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:

"Vegeta transforming"

why would the sky go dark when vegeta trnasformes ? it's obviously he is transforming when shenron appears for some reason wiche i think is because he wished for ssj3
The sky goes dark just to make the moment he transforms more dramatic and probably to contrast with his golden hair/aura.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 am

Guys, there's been next to no indicator that Vegeta's going Super Saiyan 3. I think it's time to just give it up already.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 am

Yeah, I can't see Vegeta becoming a SSJ3, it could happen, but I find it extremely doubtful.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Guys, there's been next to no indicator that Vegeta's going Super Saiyan 3. I think it's time to just give it up already.
I agree with this. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 am

jjgp1112 wrote: there's been next to no indicator that Vegeta's going Super Saiyan 3
there isn't any for mystic gohan ether and the only way we found out was by watanabe's twitter so maby he's going to be shown in the movie only like super saiyan god and mystic gohan

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

Pretty big difference in that Ultimate Gohan is from the manga, so him being in was normal and Super Saiyan Gohan being in was the abnormal thing.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

sintzu wrote:why would the sky go dark when vegeta trnasformes ? it's obviously he is transforming when shenron appears for some reason wiche i think is because he wished for ssj3
Then watch the trailer yourself and see if it's that obvious "Shenron appears because Vegeta wished for ssj3" while in fact he's just turning SSJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyLJq08lZo&t=0m50s

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
sintzu wrote:why would the sky go dark when vegeta trnasformes ? it's obviously he is transforming when shenron appears for some reason wiche i think is because he wished for ssj3
Then watch the trailer yourself and see if it's that obvious "Shenron appears because Vegeta wished for ssj3" while in fact he's just turning SSJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyLJq08lZo&t=0m50s
they could have easly connected both scenes to make theme look like one

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

I think you're really reaching here.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:11 am

Also just to point out:

In that image Vegeta's armour seems to be battle-damages whereas in the scene with Shenlong there is no sign of battle-damage on any of the characters.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 am

sintzu wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: there's been next to no indicator that Vegeta's going Super Saiyan 3
there isn't any for mystic gohan ether and the only way we found out was by watanabe's twitter so maby he's going to be shown in the movie only like super saiyan god and mystic gohan
It seems unlikely that Vegeta will turn into a Super Saiyan 3, for plot-impact reasons.

First, by the time Vegeta has to fight, we've already seen that Super Saiyan 3 is nothing to Birus. Having Vegeta turn into it against him would still make him completely and utterly powerless, which would essentially make his new form a non-event. I don't think the staff would introduce a new form just to immediately show that it's disappointing and useless.

Second, the real "superstar" form of the movie is to be the Super Saiyan God as a new level of transformation. Introducing another new form for another character with Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta would take away some of the huge spotlight that is reserved for the big moment Goku will reveal his Super Saiyan God powers. All the excitement for a new form must be saved and built up for the big reveal of the movie.
The contrary is even more true, since Super Saiyan 3 is nothing compared to Super Saiyan God, and Vegeta's new achievement would be completely wiped out by Goku's 1000 times better achievement a few minutes later.

So here you go: having Vegeta turning into a Super Saiyan 3 would not only be really detrimental to the impact of it in this context, but also partly shadow the main event of the Super Saiyan God - which just by its cleverly-chosen name inspires respect as the supreme Super Saiyan form that will ever exist, with no possibility for any higher form even in the future. Any number (Super Saiyan 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...) is insignificant compared to the notion "GOD" as the indicator of comparison.

So it would be bad both for Vegeta's Super Saiyan 3 and for Goku's Super Saiyan God. There is only one new transformation you're meant to expect with that movie, and all your excitement for new forms must be entirely built up and saved for that climax.
The only benefit of seeing Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta would be just that: to see him. After that, you would just witness his complete defeat compared to the main hero reaching an infinately better, supreme form.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.