Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Are they talking about the Boo arc of Kai?
No, it says the series will have other Gods of Destruction.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:So the Spanish VA confirmed a series before Toei or a Jpn voice actor did? Db isn't unpopular. Pretty sure this a joke
It's possible TOEI has plans to do a new series and has made this known to companies that have licensed Dragon Ball internationally, but I imagine if that's the case, they weren't supposed to say anything about it to the public, and someone is gonna get a serious spanking for doing so.
And a Mexican dubbing company wouldn't be among the first to know it.

Big Momma wrote:I feel like a lot of false rumors come out of the Spanish-speaking Dragon Ball community.
Yeah, they seem to like spreading rumors based on their wishes.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: NEW DBZ Series?!

Post by rereboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Kai was a proper remake. It remove nearly all of the filler and give us a good dub for once.
I don't think you know what a remake is. Kai was, at best, a sort of sloppy director's cut edition of DBZ.
I know what a remake is. Remakes are view as something that tells the same story with minor changes. Kai can be view as a remake since it's a new version of the same story. Kinda like how the 1998 remake of Psycho was.
No, its more like a different cut or edition of the same show. A remake actually REMAKES the show.

Its funny that you mention the remake of Psycho when that remake was a completely new film with a new cast that simply tried to imitate the original in every frame. So, its a remake because they REMADE it. Kai is not a remake because they took DBZ and simply ALTERED it.

Watch a director's cut edition of a movie and then a real remake of a movie and you will see that Kai is much more like a director's cut than a remake.

This should be obvious to anyone who knows what a remake is and what a director's cut or a special edition is.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

perucho1990 wrote:https://twitter.com/ClubManganime/statu ... 00/photo/1

According to Bills spanish voice, there will be a new DBZ series.
In before he confused it with more DBZ Kai.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: Wouldn't a new series cancel out Gt? They cant stay pre oob era
Most people don't like GT. Just pull off a Prometheus (which ignore the AVP films) and recton it from the main timeline. GT didn't do that great critically and financially. In the eyes of a TV producer, they won't waste time making a follow up to it. It would be like making a sequel to The Last Airbender or Godzilla 1998.
Then why are they "wasting their time" and promote it so much nowadays through Dragon Ball Heroes?
That's a video game which is different. GT characters are added in DBH just to sell more cards since the game is a huge money maker. As for this rumor, I don't think Toei would do a new series and Buu saga Kai at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:That's a video game which is different. GT characters are added in DBH just to sell more cards since the game is a huge money maker. As for this rumor, I don't think Toei would do a new series and Buu saga Kai at the time.
They don't just have GT characters in the game like with the other video games, there is a heavy GT promotion as well. They have GT characters in most of the artwork ever since the Galaxy Mission begun, they have new GT characters (Janenba-Baby, Super #17 merged with #16, Super #17 merged with Cell, base & SS Gotenks, SS3 Vegeta, SS3 Trunks), they have GT characters in all the GM/JM openings, and the Galaxy & Jaaku Missions are based on GT. Plus, there is a new anime comic based on GT now, and there was promotion of the GT DVDs when promoting BoG, and GT was covered in Chozenshuu 3 & 4. So, it's not going to be ignored by Shueisha/Toei, and we won't get a replacement for it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:55 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: Wouldn't a new series cancel out Gt? They cant stay pre oob era
Most people don't like GT. Just pull off a Prometheus (which ignore the AVP films) and recton it from the main timeline. GT didn't do that great critically and financially. In the eyes of a TV producer, they won't waste time making a follow up to it. It would be like making a sequel to The Last Airbender or Godzilla 1998.
Then why are they "wasting their time" and promote it so much nowadays through Dragon Ball Heroes?
Out of Z characters? Lack of GT merchandise?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm

GT did poorly which killed off the franchise to me. Toei never bother doing another show after 1997 since the ending could lead things open with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. Anyways back on topic, I did a google search on this magazine and I found nothing. It's funny how the Spanish DB fandom is always been known to start rumors :lol: .
She/Her

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:47 am

So, just got home from Battle of Gods in Sydney. I'd already seen the film on the Japanese DVD, but it was nice seeing it on the big screen and seeing how the translation turned out. There was a short introductory video with Masakazu Morita which referred to "Birus" and "Uis", but in the film itself they were called "Bills" and "Whis". The translation convention in the subtitles was largely consistent with a typical Steve Simmons translation, "Kaio-sama", "Kuririn", etc. with the exception of "Frieza". Also Hero and Cha La were the English versions, despite the actual rest of the film being in Japanese.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:44 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:So, just got home from Battle of Gods in Sydney. I'd already seen the film on the Japanese DVD, but it was nice seeing it on the big screen and seeing how the translation turned out. There was a short introductory video with Masakazu Morita which referred to "Birus" and "Uis", but in the film itself they were called "Bills" and "Whis". The translation convention in the subtitles was largely consistent with a typical Steve Simmons translation, "Kaio-sama", "Kuririn", etc. with the exception of "Frieza". Also Hero and Cha La were the English versions, despite the actual rest of the film being in Japanese.
Interesting. Were you able to stop any credits for the subtitles?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 pm

ATV, Channel 9 from Peru, is also reporting about the new DBZ series.

http://www.tuteve.tv/noticia/espectacul ... ragon-ball
“Lo que yo sé es que luego del éxito de la película habrá una continuación de la serie donde aparecerán Bills y los otros dioses de la destrucción mencionados en La batalla de los dioses para crear un argumento que revolucionará la serie”, declaró el actor al semanario Club Manganime.
Translation: "What I know is that after the success of the movie, there will be a continuation of the series where Bill and the mentioned Gods of Destruction from BoG will appear to create a plot that revolutionize the series".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Nothing is official from Toei. It's rare for a non Japanese company to know about a new Japanese movie or TV show in works. If Toei was going to do a new show then they would fill in a trademark by now.
She/Her

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:43 pm

There are rumours circling about that the magazine's is telling a complete lie. Jose luis Orozco is not the kind of person who would speak lies. or if the magazine is not lying about him saying that. Maybe the internet tricked him :S
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:43 pm

I don't think this magazine is even real. I look it up more then once on Google and I found nothing.
She/Her

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:53 am

Just received word from Hon (of post76.com) that the official release date for the Hong Kong home video release of "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" is actually November 22nd, 2013. Just a one day delay from what was announced on yesasia. Oh, and here's a look at the front cover.

The world is your's.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 pm

So this link is still dead: http://www.yesasia.com/us/dragon-ball-z ... /info.html

Is there no way to pre-order the Hong Kong Blu-ray anymore if you're in North America?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm going to be fair about these rumors from Latin American magazines and websites: they're all bull... well, you get the idea. I don't want to push the limits. We Spanish (from Spain) fans are pretty fed up of all that nonsense which gives all the Spanish-speaking community bad reputation because some random newspaper or magazine believes what a retarded fan has written on the Internet, saying that it's official.

Way before BoG, six or seven Lat.Am. magazines said that there would be a new, 200-episode long anime retconning GT/taking place after GT, and naming all the fusions and new SS states that would appear, saying that the information came from Toei and blah blah blah.
A few years ago, they started saying that the Dragon Ball AF anime, with Zaiko and SS5 and all that, had been given green light and was to be released in 2010. Then the same thing happened with Dragon Ball Hoshi.

That's my advice: don't take any of it seriously, no matter who (voice actors, "Toei") says it, if the only information available comes from Latin America.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:12 pm

You can still pre-order from Play-Asia with free shipping at least: http://www.play-asia.com/dragon-ball-z- ... -7afr.html
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Awesome, thanks! Pre-ordered and hyped. Hopefully I'll get home and it won't be stolen!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The filler in DB is nowhere as bad as the one in DBZ. DBZ had pointless filler like Goku falling off from Snake Way, the Garlic Jr saga and Maron. If we are getting a new series then I would imagine that we will see a trademark from the Japan Patent Office by now. I'm 95% sure that this info is likely fake.
Dragon Ball's filler was one of the worst I'd ever seen in a show. DBZ had much better filler from the Frieza saga onwards.