Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
tinlunlau wrote: Yeah, that's the one I saw at Fan Expo!
But I only saw the Super Saiyan God figurine on sale. Others were nowhere to be found. They were selling this for 6 bucks.
Even the vendors had no idea what it was or why Goku's hair is red. Had to tell 'em about "Battle of Gods".

So when will we see a SSGod model kit? I know there is a Super Saiyan Vegeta MASTERPIECE coming next year but that's about it.
6 bucks??? Man feels ripped at buying them for £20 (roughly 32.1US$) :sick:
By the look of the ebay listings the new figure's are probably going to be released mid Feb.
I feel just as ripped when I found out that "THE Son Goku" Master Stars Piece was being sold for cheaper online. I bought that one for about $70 Canadian dollars
The world is your's.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:35 pm

My 1st post in New Year :) I saw movie yesterday, and actually really like it, it`s what DB should be, a fun story, that doesn`t take itself seriously, i like art style, and even Vegeta didn`t sound as old as he did in Kai, i might be wrong, but, doesn`t movie kinda completely ignore GT, by making Pilaf and co. children? (They were old in GT)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:16 pm

I really want a nice ssjg Gokû and Beers.
Chibis would be nice, but I know the ones that do exist are crane game only.
Nendoroids or cupoche would be awesome, but I doubt they'd get picked. (Though one of them recently picked Luigi from smb, so... not impossible.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 pm

S.H Figuarts of SSjG Goku and Beerus would be amazing. I'm surprise they didn't make those two yet to cash in on BOG.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:S.H Figuarts of SSjG Goku and Beerus would be amazing. I'm surprise they didn't make those two yet to cash in on BOG.
I would so buy those if they made them.

It feels like there just isn't that much BOG merchandise in general. I was (and still am) so ready to buy some BOG stuff, but there hasn't been much out (yet).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 am

coola wrote:My 1st post in New Year :) I saw movie yesterday, and actually really like it, it`s what DB should be, a fun story, that doesn`t take itself seriously, i like art style, and even Vegeta didn`t sound as old as he did in Kai, i might be wrong, but, doesn`t movie kinda completely ignore GT, by making Pilaf and co. children? (They were old in GT)
They wished for youth, they can wish to become older by accident in the years between BoG and EoZ/GT, becoming too old. Shenron can grant them this wish, since it's not the same thing as becoming young.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:05 pm

We don't know what happens between BOG - GT, so anything is possible. Maybe in the next movie, they make themselves old again. In the movie, Gohan can go mystic similar how he can in the Budokai games but yet he can't transform into mystic in GT. We can't say that he lost it since there's no proof that he lost it and no proof that he can lose the transformation over time.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:55 pm

The problems between BoG & GT are these:
  • Pilaf Gang is old instead of young.
  • Gohan can't use Ultimate.
  • Goku can't use Super Saiyan God or it's power.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The problems between BoG & GT are these:
  • Pilaf Gang is old instead of young.
  • Gohan can't use Ultimate.
  • Goku can't use Super Saiyan God or it's power.
Word it better and you'll see ther's no problems:
  • Pilaf Gang is young in BoG and old in GT, which follows a normal growth processus.
  • Gohan don't use Ultimate, which doesn't mean he can't.
  • Goku doesn't turn into the Super Saiyan God form, but his power was restrained due to being turned into a kid again and yet, he's still increadibly strong even in his base form (which implies a use of the SSG power).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 am

I only mentioned the problems, not the possible explanations.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:
  • Pilaf Gang is young in BoG and old in GT, which follows a normal growth processus.
Not really. GT is five years after the 28th Budokai, which in turn is ten years after the defeat of Buu, and possibly seven-eight years after BoG. So the gap between BoG and GT is around thirteen years. That's plenty of time for them to gather the Dragon Balls and wish to return to their original ages, but it's not as neat and tidy as "they'll grow up naturally."

I haven't seen the money, but every shot of the Pilaf Gang has them very young...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 pm

If he can use mystic form in BOG then there's no reason for him not to use it in GT? He never use it against Rildo, Super 17 or Super Xi Ying Long.
She/Her

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if there is any other BoG merchandise like this one:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Does anyone know if there is any other BoG merchandise like this one:
Try these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dr ... F&_sacat=0
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 am

Sci-Fi Japan release production notes on BOG.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... ion-notes/
She/Her

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Sci-Fi Japan release production notes on BOG.

Yes, that is indeed a link to that page. And it's relevant because...?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 am

Gonstead wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Does anyone know if there is any other BoG merchandise like this one:
Try these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dr ... F&_sacat=0
Ahh
Thanks!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I couldn't entirely enjoy this movie TBH, way too many plotholes and inconsistancies. Then theres the 70% of it just being unfunny hijinks,childish humour... and poor CGI

Goku oddly out of character near the end and Gohan just being so useless as always.

Why would he revert to SSJ? According to the scene though he was still in Mystic form and went SSJ ontop of it....what?

Then there's Vegeta allegedly a SSJ2 who looked entirely SSJ1 but surpassed a Mastered SSJ3?...What?

Then there's Gotenks NOT going straight SSJ3 for no reason...
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Sci-Fi Japan release production notes on BOG.

Yes, that is indeed a link to that page. And it's relevant because...?
Well this is the thread pertaining to any discussion on that movie..

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:24 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:I don't want a Battle of Gods sequel, I'd prefer another original story rather than seing Bills again and the other Gods of Destruction.
I wish they could have used the movies to flesh out the backstories of the villains who seriously lacked it like Broly and Buu. Granted Broly is non canon but he has the widest fanbase among the movie villains: but 2 other movies past his debut and stil nothing... I hate the mindless lunatic he just is... I want to at least know WHY he hates Goku so much or how his childhood was.... him hating Goku just because of his crying is stupid..... and Buu just being a random monster is.... uragh.... I had hoped BoG would at least do that... tie Beers in some way to Buu/Babidi or Bibidi in a prologue rather than Freeza who should be long irrelevant... the whole SSJGod appearing on Planet Vegeta just sounds so lazy... Its a shame not much thought at all besides Akira's contribution of Beers and Whis were put into this movie.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I decided to go back and re-watch battle of gods again and it got me thinking. Do you guys think we'll ever find out who the original Super Saiyan God was on planet Vegeta? not that it really needs to be shown but just curious...
samuraix123 wrote:We did learn who the original Super Saiyan was. It was Bardock.
I wish people would stop treating that special as canon because it won't work. Bardock cant be the direct legend or it will just create a new plothole and paradox. Its already established that time travel cant undo events that already happened and considering how weak bardock was to even achieve the form is just.... uragh....
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.