Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Fizzer wrote:That dramatic trailer is going to create a lot of disappointed dub fans...
Why is that?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri May 30, 2014 1:41 pm

I had come here to announce the final date for its Spanish release, which is 20/6 (or 6/20 if you prefer) but I didn't expect that the English version would be announced the same day.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm

FUNimation confirmed it will be dubbed on their Twitter.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Fizzer wrote:That dramatic trailer is going to create a lot of disappointed dub fans...
Why is that?
I'd imagine because, despite the fight at the end, the movie is very much a comedy. It's not particularly dramatic outside of its final battle. I think some people forget what Dragon Ball is actually about and so go in with the wrong expectations. That's not exclusive to dub fans though.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Karrit wrote:FUNimation confirmed it will be dubbed on their Twitter.
Awesome. Now all we need is confirmation of rock music replacing the score :P
In all seriousness, I hope they don't replace it, I actually liked the score.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 30, 2014 2:30 pm

I wonder how much money it'll make in US.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I had come here to announce the final date for its Spanish release, which is 20/6 (or 6/20 if you prefer) but I didn't expect that the English version would be announced the same day.
It was pushed back? I thought it was supposed to come out today.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Man I just seen the trailer and YEAH!! :) My buddy had actually told me ''I seen they was releasing the new movie in the US on facebook'' and I'm like ''Don't believe it. where's it from?'' and he's like ''Some kinda place called Kanzenshuu?'' Me- ''WHAT!? BELIEVE IT BELIEVE IT!'' hahaha :lol: While I doubt it'll come to my theaters, I can't wait till this gets released on Blu-ray so I can buy it! :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Why is that?
I'd imagine because, despite the fight at the end, the movie is very much a comedy. It's not particularly dramatic outside of its final battle. I think some people forget what Dragon Ball is actually about and so go in with the wrong expectations. That's not exclusive to dub fans though.
Yeah it still gets a lot of hate for one reason or another (not enough fighting, no faulconer track, other stupid reasons).
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm a Dub fan and many other versions type of fan and I definitely can't wait for this! I loved the new movie. Funimation's Blu-ray release probably won't top my Japanese box set though. :P Now we can only hope they try to release some kinda box set and it'll included dubbed or not the Jump Special. But am I asking the impossible here? :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri May 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Well, that's one of my new year's predictions that came true.
I wrote:"Battle Of Gods?" We're getting it. In America. From FUNimation. By year's end. By year's end, this movie will be dubbed and in select theaters. I'm calling it. No DVD or blu-ray release until 2015, but definitely dubbed.
Couldn't really care less about the theatrical run, though it is cool news. I'm just excited that we're finally getting the film. I actually want to own both cuts, so I hope we get the theatrical cut first, followed by the extended edition on the home video release (as an option). Hopefully a bilingual blu-ray release isn't that far away! I'd like to know the specifics of how FUNi and FOX were able to work things out, too. As long as we get a dub from the usual actors and a subtitle track from Mr. Simmons, I'll be happy.

Hot damn, what a good day. Now nab the Jump Special, guys.

EDIT: Oh, and now we'll finally start seeing "Bills" less and less. Good riddance.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Bullza wrote:I wonder how much money it'll make in US.
Not a whole lot if it's a screening for a few days. Some fans are let down that we are not getting a major release, but that's how foreign movies work here in the US. There's a small market for these type of movies. If the movie is release then more then 20 theaters we could make at least three million on opening week. The Aqua Teen movie made over 3 million on a limited release on it's first release.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:04 pm

Dub DBZ trailer: sounds like Schemmel is trying to make that gritty echo sound Nozawa makes when she does the epic Goku Kamehamehas which are super long and extended, props...wonder if at Animazement she gave him some tips

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable DVD release which since the movie is in 16:9 should be cropped in 4:3 :thumbup: :lol:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Schemmel's Kamehameha scream here is horrible. Reminds me of his DBGT (& DBZ Kai) performance which I hate.
:eh: I actually thought it was his best Kamehamaha!! With more effort from him then usual, or at least effort that didn't make him sound constipated. :lol:

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:50 pm

I personally hope they Sean doesn't lower his voice for SSJG. If I remember right in the English Battle of Z trailer his voice was only a little bit higher than his SSJ4 voice and I cant see a deep gruff voice coming out of SSJG Goku.

Is there any lines of dialogue for him as a SSJG in Battle of Z? I've only heard his one line from the trailer.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Retan wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Schemmel's Kamehameha scream here is horrible. Reminds me of his DBGT (& DBZ Kai) performance which I hate.
:eh: I actually thought it was his best Kamehamaha!! With more effort from him then usual, or at least effort that didn't make him sound constipated. :lol:
Easily his best. I've never heard that much power from Schemmel. You can hear the Nozawa influence in there very easily as someone mentioned already.

Really do have high hopes for this dub.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri May 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Bullza wrote:I wonder how much money it'll make in US.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I had come here to announce the final date for its Spanish release, which is 20/6 (or 6/20 if you prefer) but I didn't expect that the English version would be announced the same day.
It was pushed back? I thought it was supposed to come out today.
It's a bit more complicated. It comes out today in a few regions: Catalonia (in Catalan), the Balearic Islands (in both Catalan and Spanish) and the Basque Country (in both Basque and Spanish). It's coming out on the 20th for the rest of the country. However, the distributor has uploaded a few clips of the dub. Finally hearing terms like "Kakarot" and "Super Saiyan" (outside of GT), and Gotenks having his proper name and a dual voice (apart from the movies) is amazing, but I got the nerdgasm when I heard the characters' voices. It's been almost fifteen years if I remember well, and yet they sound like they had never stopped voicing the characters (specially Vegeta).
If hearing "Bills" is the price to pay, so be it.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Just watched the trailer.
Gets "huh, that's different" points for trying Nozawa-esque screaming. Other than that, feels way too falsely advertised what with the "this is an ACTION movie" vibe it was giving off. This trailer would fit great if BOG was the movie it was originally conceived to be prior to Toriyama's involvement. It's too light of a movie in its "final form" for that type of ad.

I do really enjoy BOG, and I understand why they advertised as they did, but I can't help but think people who take it at that ad alone will be disappointed.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 pm

I'll go ahead and add some more questions to this :p

When they're counting Saiya-jins Bulma asks if Vegeta can phone his brother. The line making the JSAT special pretty much canon if you think the movie is canon. But enough talk about canon. What will Funimation do if they AREN'T allowed to dub the JSAT special? Will they keep the reference in? :o

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Seeing your favourite franchise on the big screen is always an exciting prospect, hoping Madman will join in on the action soon- pretty sue they will, given that they already have the license. No IMAX though? :P

In terms of the dramatic trailer, I'm not too bothered about that. Pretty much all of the previews for the film have been like that, this one probably being the worst offender with their choice of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0_qnfsrfc

What I am bothered about is something incredibly nerdy, but I'm gonna come out and say it anyway. The logo. They removed 'Kami to Kami' from the logo. :| What year is this, again? I thought we were at a point where FUNimation was embracing the series' Japanese roots.

On a side note, I'm fairly sure we're gonna end up with the "Engrish" vocal songs that played in every other international screening of the film which I'm kinda gutted about.

Anyway, very excited overall, even though I'm in NZ. BOG fever is back, lucking for the Kanzenshuu crew it's all in English this time. Looking forward to seeing stories and photos from everyone's days out. It'll be like 2006 all over again. Got the Japanese version already loaded on the iPod, Mike? :lol:

EDIT: For some reason, I'm expecting the home release to be very stripped down and basic. Just thought I'd throw that in there.