Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:51 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Conversely, the crowd I was with for Toy Story 3 made the movie even better. They laughed at all the right times, cheered when it was appropriate, and knew perfectly well when to stay quiet.
You know, it's funny, living in Norway and having been in Japan for nine months... I just think stuff like this sounds horribly annoying. Like, both Norway and Japan has that standard of remaining quiet throughout the entire screening. Granted I do of course sometimes hear people laughing at particularly funny bits and I remember there being applause at the end of Star Wars Episode 3... but in Japan though? Complete silence from start to finish. They even have a disclaimer at the start of each movie requesting, among other things, that the audience keep quiet while the movie is showing. I just feel like havin the audience loudly reacting to the movie's highlights would just be distracting.
It's terrible in America when you have disclaimers at the beginning of the movies to not use your cellphones, then you have 100 people doing just that. :roll: It's so distracting to me.
What other reason would you have those moments, if not to have people react to them? It's certainly distracting when it's out of place, but there are certain parts in movies that are made to get a clear and usually audible response. I dunno, I feel like sharing the same response makes you feel closer to everyone.

As for the Cell phones, it's a terrible problem in America. For some reason people think they're too important to follow a simple rule. Movies were made as an escape from reality, a distraction. And people have such short attention spans that they need a distraction from their distraction.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

User avatar
Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:42 am

Big Momma wrote:What other reason would you have those moments, if not to have people react to them? It's certainly distracting when it's out of place, but there are certain parts in movies that are made to get a clear and usually audible response. I dunno, I feel like sharing the same response makes you feel closer to everyone.
Well I think this can just be chalked up to cultural differences. Pretty sure if anyone in Norway were to start loudly cheering in the middle of a movie, everyone around them would just tell them to be quiet. Like I said, the only examples I can think of of people loudly reacting to a movie would be them laughing at parts. Most notably, I saw The Avengers in theaters three times. Every time, people laughed out loud at the scene with Loki and the Hulk. Then again, laughing at a particularly hilarious moment is something that's kind of beyond our control I suppose. But stuff like, loudly gasping during shocking plot-twists? Applauding impressive scenes mid-film? That to me sounds completely annoying and would just leave me thinking "Quit making noise and let me watch the freaking movie in peace!" I do not see how such things would in any way enrichen the experience for me...

...Actually on an even more tangential note I suppose this might also be part of the reason why I really, intensely dislike laugh-tracks in movies and TV-shows.

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:35 am

I'm disappointed to hear that it's not the extended version. Hopefully we'll still get that on DVD/BD though.

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am

Surprised no one's here talking about the premiere of the English dub that took place in L.A. a little earlier. I wonder how many of the celebrities that FUNi invited over Twitter turned up? I heard Soulja Boy bailed on them...

Lots of cool images and Tweets over on Twitter from Castor Troy and Kendamu. It also looks like we'll be getting a very special podcast from Kanzenshuu soon...

Really wanna know how this movie is in a theatre. How the audience respond to the jokes, whether there were some neat things going on with the sound, what the fight scenes are like on the big screen, etc.

Also, I noticed FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos had some actual reviews from critics over on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if we'll being seeing some for BOG, although I don't expect them to be particularly positive because of the fan service-type nature of the film.

User avatar
Karrit
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:22 am
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Karrit » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 pm

I booked my tickets last night. I will be watching it at the Studio Movie Grill in Columbus, Ohio. It's fairly close to the Hyatt Regency where both Ohayocon and Matsuricon are held.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Kendamu and I went to the premiere last night and had a great time.

While I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie when it first came out, watching it in the theater made it a lot better for me and the dub was pretty solid as you would expect.

The crowd laughed at all the appropriate moments (and even laughed at some parts that weren't funny) and the dub handled the humor quite well.

Definitely see it in the theater if you can. I actually want to go watch it again if it will play near me.

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Kendamu and I went to the premiere last night and had a great time.

While I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie when it first came out, watching it in the theater made it a lot better for me and the dub was pretty solid as you would expect.

The crowd laughed at all the appropriate moments (and even laughed at some parts that weren't funny) and the dub handled the humor quite well.

Definitely see it in the theater if you can. I actually want to go watch it again if it will play near me.
Just one question.

How was the Bingo scene? Did Sabat do it justice?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Kendamu and I went to the premiere last night and had a great time.

While I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie when it first came out, watching it in the theater made it a lot better for me and the dub was pretty solid as you would expect.

The crowd laughed at all the appropriate moments (and even laughed at some parts that weren't funny) and the dub handled the humor quite well.

Definitely see it in the theater if you can. I actually want to go watch it again if it will play near me.
And I've got several questions.

Was it the theatrical version?
Was there any swearing?
Are Cha-La-Head-Cha-La and HERO kept?
Is the original score kept? :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
And I've got several questions.

Was it the theatrical version?
Was there any swearing?
Are Cha-La-Head-Cha-La and HERO kept?
Is the original score kept? :lol:
From Twitter, I can tell you it's the theatrical version, scores and inserts are kept but ending credits uses the English verses of Head Cha La. Don't know about language.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:02 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Just one question.

How was the Bingo scene? Did Sabat do it justice?[/quote]

I saw Lanipator's version of that, and laughed my ass off. (I barely ever laugh at all, mind you). So, that's the Bingo scene everybody's been talking about. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
MagicBox
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: On The Forums... Duh!
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Wait... the dub is finished? It premiered? I consider myself pretty up-to-date with all the recent news, but this flew over my head entirely. Weren't we getting tweets from Schemmel, like, two weeks ago saying that he was still recording? Didn't we get the theatrical trailer only a couple weeks ago? The "unfinished" one that had to use Schemmel's Kai dialogue? What the hell? They finished and mixed the whole thing that quickly?

Cool, then. I'm glad Castor Troy and Kendamu had fun!
Vegard Aune wrote:You know, it's funny, living in Norway and having been in Japan for nine months... I just think stuff like this sounds horribly annoying.
It certainly can get obnoxious if the audience I'm with simply will not stop laughing or something like that, but I don't mind people having a positive reaction to the film at certain moments. It's a difficult balance, I guess. I had no idea they had disclaimers in Japan essentially telling you to be perfectly silent, though. That's interesting. I personally think that's a little too restrictive (what if somebody wants to laugh at a joke?), but like you said, it's probably a cultural thing and I understand that they only say that because they want people to be respectful.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

User avatar
SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 953
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (#The6)
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Having checked the list, I can confirm that BoG is playing in theatres in my backyard (the GTA):

- Cineplex Cinemas Courtneypark (f/ka AMC Courtneypark 16)
- Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas (f/ka AMC Yonge-Dundas 24)
- Colossus Vaughan Cinemas
- SilverCity Newmarket Cinemas and XScape Entertainment Centre

Big Momma wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote: It's terrible in America when you have disclaimers at the beginning of the movies to not use your cellphones, then you have 100 people doing just that. :roll: It's so distracting to me.
What other reason would you have those moments, if not to have people react to them? It's certainly distracting when it's out of place, but there are certain parts in movies that are made to get a clear and usually audible response. I dunno, I feel like sharing the same response makes you feel closer to everyone.

As for the Cell phones, it's a terrible problem in America. For some reason people think they're too important to follow a simple rule. Movies were made as an escape from reality, a distraction. And people have such short attention spans that they need a distraction from their distraction.
Agreed. Many people in theatres just pulled a "Tommy Texter" or "Sally Soundtrack" these days. Also, all Cineplex theatres in Canada are now showing advertisements and commercials before the film and all over the lobby (concession, box office, etc.) just like on television that annoys some movie-goers based on my experience. If anyone wants to pull those stunts during BoG, take it outside or the floor guys could escort their asses out of the theatre.

Just to take note, most theatres these days do TimePlay app, an interactive game that can win prizes after the pre-show ends.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:59 pm

I wish every cinema took the Alamo Drafthouse approach. Laugh during a funny moment, whatever, that's not the end of the world but jesus christ, shut the fuck up outside of that. I didn't pay this obnoxious price to sit with a bunch of people and listen to their stupid chatter and see phones lighting up all over the joint. I don't want to hear your crunching, your slurping, your rustling. No, I paid see the movie. Shut up and let me enjoy it.

I so rarely go to the cinema because nobody has any manners or etiquette when it comes to watching films. It drives me mad. Follow the code of conduct!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
ShadowDude112
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by ShadowDude112 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:07 pm

For those wondering, Schemmel used his normal voice for Super Saiyan God. So that gruff voice in BoZ was just exclusive to BoZ for some reason.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If Toriyama joined Kanzenshuu, he'd probably forget his login name and password.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
gregorthegame
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Philly, PA
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by gregorthegame » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Ah man.. Was really hoping Philadelphia, Cherry Hill NJ, or even around Deptford Nj would be showing this.. I'm surprised Philadelphia a major city is not getting a single showing.
PS3 ID: GregorTheGame

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:19 pm

ShadowDude112 wrote:For those wondering, Schemmel used his normal voice for Super Saiyan God. So that gruff voice in BoZ was just exclusive to BoZ for some reason.
That's good. IMO, Super Saiyan God isn't a "gruff" transformation.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:51 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:..but ending credits uses the English verses of Head Cha La--
*record-scratching sound effect*

Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, what!? I thought Flow forbid their songs from being dubbed. Are you saying (or rather, are others saying) that they, at long last, dubbed the song into English? That would be quite exciting!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:..but ending credits uses the English verses of Head Cha La--
*record-scratching sound effect*

Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, what!? I thought Flow forbid their songs from being dubbed. Are you saying (or rather, are others saying) that they, at long last, dubbed the song into English? That would be quite exciting!
Same band, "Engrish verses" was Josh's description on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:..but ending credits uses the English verses of Head Cha La--
*record-scratching sound effect*

Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, what!? I thought Flow forbid their songs from being dubbed. Are you saying (or rather, are others saying) that they, at long last, dubbed the song into English? That would be quite exciting!
Same band, "Engrish verses" was Josh's description on Twitter.
Ah, gotcha. Well that's...kind of...a dub....
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:Kendamu and I went to the premiere last night and had a great time.

While I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie when it first came out, watching it in the theater made it a lot better for me and the dub was pretty solid as you would expect.

The crowd laughed at all the appropriate moments (and even laughed at some parts that weren't funny) and the dub handled the humor quite well.

Definitely see it in the theater if you can. I actually want to go watch it again if it will play near me.
And I've got several questions.

Was it the theatrical version?
Was there any swearing?
Are Cha-La-Head-Cha-La and HERO kept?
Is the original score kept? :lol:
Theatrical Version.

A few instances of "Bastard" and "Damn".

Both songs are kept, but are the Engrish versions. Yes Engrish sung by Flow themselves.

What do you think? Bruce Faulconer would compose for the movie? :lol:

Post Reply