Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by CordonBloo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:28 am

Backtracking a little but it always bothered me how they mentioned Tarble in Botg when he's not canon? Well, I guess he is now...
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

CordonBloo wrote:Backtracking a little but it always bothered me how they mentioned Tarble in Botg when he's not canon? Well, I guess he is now...
Yeah that was one of the things that I found really unsettling at first...

Iono, I'm pretty much over it. But I find the idea of vegeta having a brother the whole time to be really really stupid...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 am

CordonBloo wrote:Backtracking a little but it always bothered me how they mentioned Tarble in Botg when he's not canon? Well, I guess he is now...
There is no formal declaration of what is and is not canonical for the Dragon Ball franchise, beyond the press release for Battle of Gods dropping the "official history" line in there. Anyone can say/reference whatever they want.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 am

IIRC, he was considered as canon, wasn't he? It's true that the special had a continuity error, but alas, so did BoG (apart from the English dub).
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 am

No-one ever said anything about the 2008 JSAT special being canonical one way or the other.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:23 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Well, according to those Toriyama Q&A, Beerus didn't totally destroy Kaio's planet, but left a small portion which Kaio used to make himself a smaller planet.
This only explains why the planet is small. Kami could recreate the moon out of nothing, so I don't see why a higher god would have trouble to recreate a smaller planet.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Well, according to those Toriyama Q&A, Beerus didn't totally destroy Kaio's planet, but left a small portion which Kaio used to make himself a smaller planet.
This only explains why the planet is small. Kami could recreate the moon out of nothing, so I don't see why a higher god would have trouble to recreate a smaller planet.
Maybe he can't? It's possible that Kami somehow reassembled all the pieces that had fallen to the earth a couple of years before, while Kaio did the same with whatever was left of his planet... or maybe it's just the usual Toriyama mistake.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 am

I just want to voice my frustration at how shit it is being a Dragon Ball fan in the UK. I know plenty of places have it whose, but we're one of the ones that's meant to be all modern and up-to-date and stuff. We get potentially one screening in the country (as in between the four constituents) months after other English language countries, it took us six years to get the orange bricks and the seasons are the only release we've ever had. Also, we got that bizarre Blue Water dub, and we were one of the last countries to get Kai too.

Thanks for listening.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 am

I was impressed with the dub. Still certain things I wish were in there that weren't. But, I'm not ever going to expect like -> God of Earth, more ain'ts/hick-ish dialouge from Goku, Sigh-yan, 'Son' being used outside of that one scene of Kai (although these are the things I wish were in here) and lastly Kaioh recast to a Doc Morgan type voice to be closer to the original. Schemmel was more Nozawa-like than ever in his delivery (more so than Kai). I could not be happier. The script was a bit liberal, but still faithful. The parts that did stray still fit the movie's tone, so I have no issue with them unlike the added jokes in the older dubs. Beerus' and Whis' VA's (Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair) were extremely solid additions to the cast. Glad to see that Bulma at least retained her Kai voice and the parts where she was drunk were hilarious. She nailed how a middle aged drunk woman sounds. It was interesting to see a lot more slang than previous dubs in this one. Was surprised to hear Goku use 'Dude', but it actually worked for him. They handled the 'Ossu! Ora Go-, 'desu' scene a lot more well than I was expecting. Wasn't sure how they were going to do it with Goku not speaking anywhere near as simple/hick-ish as his Japanese counterpart. The intentionally stilted dialouge/delivery really helped sell that scene, even in English!

Still wish Flow would've allowed the song to be dubbed/or keep the Japanese version. The Engrish version sounded way out of place. I can understand the Japanese way better than the Engrish version of the song.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:There is no formal declaration of what is and is not canonical for the Dragon Ball franchise
Based on what Toriyama said about the first 17 movies and Gt,It's safe to say they aren't part of that canonical :

Gt :
Toriyama wrote:Dragon Ball GT is a grand side-story of the original Dragon Ball.
The Movies :
Toriyama wrote:The original work develops in such a way that it makes it difficult to come up with side-stories.
So that leaves us with Z movies 14 and 15 and the 3 ovas

Toriyama said he wrote movies 14-15 as continuations to the manga so they're in the canonical

Tarbel is mentioned in m14 so the 2008 ovs is also part of the canonnical

So that leaves the 2010/11 ovas and bardock/trunks tv specials open for debate.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am

Trust me, I am beyond well aware of every little statement made. I'm not going to get that absolutely granular in a forum post, however.

That being said, you're reading more into what you just quoted than is actually said there. Furthermore, and this is something I've harped on a lot, you don't necessarily have to accept the movies as being canonical if you don't want to if you want to stick with, "only stuff Toriyama completely wrote and drew himself during the series' original serialization".

These movies are not during the original serialization, and Toriyama is not solely and completely responsible for their creation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am

I've read at least three posts thus far where people have said something along the lines of "Goku is much more carefree/childlike than he was in Kai". I think you mean Z, because by Kai his acting was very close to the original.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 am

ABED wrote:I've read at least three posts thus far where people have said something along the lines of "Goku is much more carefree/childlike than he was in Kai". I think you mean Z, because by Kai his acting was very close to the original.
I love Kai, his acting definitely improved miles and miles ahead of anything he ever did in the old Z dubs. Goku seemed even more like original counterpart in the movie. That's probably just natural improvement from doing Kai though (which was 3-5 years ago at this point depending on which of the first 3 sagas you're talking about).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:You're reading more into what you just quoted than is actually said there.
First : wow you can type fast :shock:

Second : I know it's not an absolute yes these are not part of my story cause it will make toie look bad but i think that's what he meant
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DongHyun
Beyond Newbie

Post by DongHyun » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvebZhFWP8

DragonBall Z Battle of the Gods Funny Theater Experience Before Movie.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Maybe he can't?
But apparently, he can. We see the planet there in the movie, which means that he can.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Maybe he can't?
But apparently, he can. We see the planet there in the movie, which means that he can.
I was just going to say that same thing, hahaha. I never get why people are so worried about the Kai planet thing anyway. Well...I guess I do get it, but when I first saw it I just automatically assumed he remade it as well.

Actually I completely forgot that it was destroyed...but THEN I thought "Oh, he probably remade it."
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
There is no formal declaration of what is and is not canonical for the Dragon Ball franchise, beyond the press release for Battle of Gods dropping the "official history" line in there. Anyone can say/reference whatever they want.
Well, obviously, if that were the case a lot of people here would have nothing to talk about.

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:20 pm

DongHyun wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvebZhFWP8

DragonBall Z Battle of the Gods Funny Theater Experience Before Movie.
XD I didn't think I was going to chuckle, but I did.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Great news for UK Dragon Ball Z fans, Manga UK have announced the release date for the Blu Ray & DVD as November 10. In addition to the already announced "Scotland loves Anime" Screening (which will be in Japanese with English subs) they "will have news on other screenings soon."
Fingers crossed we get screenings in other areas :D

Source:
http://instagram.com/p/rZ7RmFS9Xn/