Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by White Oni » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:46 am

Can somone refer me to the line of dialog in the uncut version that suggests Beerus > vegetto?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 am

White Oni wrote:Can somone refer me to the line of dialog in the uncut version that suggests Beerus > vegetto?
It was when Goku was still on King Kai's planet. Something like this:

"Looks like I'll have to do fusion with Vegeta to beat him..No even that won't be enough

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 am

Could someone post screens of what the OP and ED of FUNimation's BoG look like? I assume they have English text only but figure they also look pretty decent now (DBZ Season Blu-rays don't count) that they've improved since the early days.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Could someone post screens of what the OP and ED of FUNimation's BoG look like? I assume they have English text only but figure they also look pretty decent now (DBZ Season Blu-rays don't count) that they've improved since the early days.
I can't post screens but yeah the credits text are in English, while the shots from the manga in the ending are still in Japanese. Don't know if that answers your question because there really wasn't an OP/ED animation in this movie.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks. That's enough, 94.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Actually, to compliment dbboxkaifan's question: How's the movie title in the Blu-rays? We know that the "Kami to Kami" part was removed from the cover, but what about the movie itself?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Untouched from what I remember. I don't have my Japanese Blu-ray to hand.

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Yes, the movie titles are both exactly the same as the Japanese versions.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:58 am

Finally watched the English version today (Blu-Ray). Pretty awesome, really enjoyed it. Great to have the original Oolong back too. The guy they got to voice him in Curse of the Blood Rubies just didn't sound right to me.

The Blu-Ray also contains one of the BEST special features ever, and something I have wanted Funimation to do for YEARS. Finished footage alongside the voice actors performing the final takes. Loved it, please do more of this funimation!

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:09 am

I really dug the Extended cut. I've only seen the movie once in theaters but I could tell which scenes were not there before and enjoyed them all. For me those cut scenes made the movie transition a bit better from scene to scene, I'll probably be watching that one for future viewings. The series recap was cool, Kyle Hebert's Narration was well done. That's probably how he'd sound if he voiced the Narrator in Kai. Loved hearing Stephanie Nadolny in the flashback even if it was recycled audio. Also the extra features are super fun! I loved The voices of Dragon Ball Z Unveiled feature. Seeing most of the voice actors doing the voices and chatting for a bit was great makes me wish previous releases had extras like this. I'm glad Brad Jackson and Meredith McCoy participated in this one both slip back into their roles nicely, you even get to see Meredith in the voices unveiled segment. Oh and Chuck Huber, this guys awesome. At the 3 minute mark he does a free style rap that I enjoyed the heck out of lol Talented man. Overall great release & solid dub I'm a happy Dragon Ball Fan! Oh and more Dragon Ball extras for the future please :thumbup:
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:05 am

Forgot to post about this, but a few days ago I watched the extended version again, this time with my mom. Believe it or not, she's always been a slight DBZ fan as well (she's always had a thing for Vegeta :lol: ), but not to the point of actually owning the show or watching it all the way through or anything. Regardless though, she was still interested in checking out this movie...and she loved it. Particularly all the Vegeta and Beerus hilarity.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Seeing that I'm tight on money right now, I plan to get my copy on Cyber Monday. I will likely get BOG, Godzilla 2014 and Rick & Morty Season 1 on Amazon on Cyber Monday.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 pm

DBZASHKACHU wrote:Oh and Chuck Huber, this guys awesome. At the 3 minute mark he does a free style rap that I enjoyed the heck out of lol Talented man.:
Saw Chuck Huber at Kumori Con this year. He came out on stage during opening ceremonies and was like "oh my god, I have to pee so bad! Maybe it'll help if I turn upside down." Then he did a headstand. One crazy motherfucker :lol: And when he does a freak-out voice, it sounds just like his Pilaf. I haven't got a chance to watch the extras yet, hope to get some time for that soon.

When I received the Battle of Gods Blu-Ray (my first every Blu-Ray, at that) my father-in-law was visiting, so we ended up watching it with him. His experience with DBZ, as far as I can tell, comes from seeing random assorted episodes on Toonami back in the day. While we were watching, I could hear him quietly asking my husband questions like, "I forgot, why do they turn blonde?" And there was one point during the movie when Bulma was shrieking about something and he was like, "man, what a bitch." :lol: In the end, he enjoyed the action scenes but thought the talking scenes went on too long. I guess that makes sense from the perspective of someone who vaguely remembers watching a fighting show over a decade ago and doesn't remember the characters well enough to care about their non-violent interactions.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Hey guys. I got the movie on Blu Ray recently. One thing that surprised me was that the Japanese track plays the English version of FLOW's "Hero". Is there any way to listen to the original Japanese version? I'm surprised they'd put the dubbed version in the sub track. A little odd.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:33 pm

foxfang4 wrote:Hey guys. I got the movie on Blu Ray recently. One thing that surprised me was that the Japanese track plays the English version of FLOW's "Hero". Is there any way to listen to the original Japanese version? I'm surprised they'd put the dubbed version in the sub track. A little odd.
Nope, unfortunately not.

Watch the pre-roll message that pops up when you play the disc. It explains that, due to licensing restrictions, they couldn't include it.

Deadtuber.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Question: Are Steve's subs for Beers-Sama's title correct? Is it Destroyer or God of Destruction? Or both? Honestly the subs are super similar to the Dub that its like "damn, Funi really went with a 1:1 translation for this movie."
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Hakaishin is literally 'Destruction God' or 'God of Destruction'. His choice of 'The Destroyer' is baffling considering he retains things like Kaioshin.

I personally just went and replaced everything with Hakaishin for consistency's sake.

Deadtuber.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:24 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Hakaishin is literally 'Destruction God' or 'God of Destruction'. His choice of 'The Destroyer' is baffling considering he retains things like Kaioshin.

I personally just went and replaced everything with Hakaishin for consistency's sake.

Perhaps he thought Destroyer was a small enough word that would fit within the screen well while retaining the idea.

Let's see.

1. "I'm The Destroyer, Beers-Sama."

2. "I'm Hakaishin Beers-Sama."

3. "I'm Destruction God Beers-Sama."

4. "I'm the God of Destruction, Beers-Sama."

Options 2 and 4 are the ones I like. (Option 2 being strange for me, because I'm all for full translations, like Gosei Sentai Dairanger being Five Star Squadron Dairanger for example)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:39 pm

I don't whether this has been brought up before or if Ajaylikesgaming has it in the comparision, but I've seen some spoilers of the English version and it looks like Funimation was trying to make Vegeta dancing much more painful and unfathomable than the original. Jap Vegeta just was simply very embarrassed and uncomfortable, while Dub Vegeta really looks like he was gonna faint right there if he tries any harder to do that thing called singing. DUb Krillin straight up asked if he was drunk and then this :

Goku: “Vegeta’s always been the one obsessive over his pride. Its way more important to him than it is to me.”

Beerus: “And yet, he made a pitiful fool of himself on stage to protect his friends.”

Goku: “That’s right. I respect him a lot for that. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but he did it anyway. Because he knew the steaks.”

Jap Beerus said nothing about "a pitiful fool". Jap Goku never expressed such sympathetic pity.

I liked the original more coz it is more chill in characterization and more subtle in context. Original Vegeta really practiced singing lol, I loved it that he is never entirely stoic, which is really more in-character. Seems like Funimation still loved "badass raspy voice" Vegeta.

And what's with Goku's "I I won't let you destroy my world" in stead of "Don't destroy af if it's entertainment!" I thought they has gotten closer to original with Kai and all but seems their still traces of Super Man Goku.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.