Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Using Dragon Ball Wiki as a source isn't too reliable, even more when they call then original Japanese audio as "Japanese dub" which is just insulting. You have the Japanese audio, and then the foreign dubs.

Kanzenshuu Wiki is taking its time but it's worth the wait.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Wow, this topic is nearly 1.5 years old!

Has Funimation still said -nothing- at all about dubbing the movie?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Wow, this topic is nearly 1.5 years old!

They've mentioned the movie, but at this point I don't know about the actual progress of dubbing it. They are likely also working on the Buu Saga in Kai, as well as several other projects which could hamper on that a bit.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:Beerus is exclusive to the English version of Battle of Z.
Sure? And why would they do that?
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:They've mentioned the movie, but at this point I don't know about the actual progress of dubbing it. They are likely also working on the Buu Saga in Kai, as well as several other projects which could hamper on that a bit.
They even mentioned Battle of Gods on Dragon Ball Z: Rock the Dragon book so they must be planning to release it either this or next year, I hope it's sometime during 2014.

I've not seen FUNimation talk about Episode of Bardock and I'm glad. If they're to spend time on DB releases then get the oldies out not the new ones that are sucky (EoB, PtEtSS).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 pm

GS7X7 wrote:Wow, this topic is nearly 1.5 years old!

Well, the movie was announced a year and a half ago, came out in theaters a year ago, and released on DVD and Blu-ray six months ago. I guess a modern example would be Attack on Titan, which started last April, while the dub premieres in a week at a convention(who knows about a home release).

You whippersnappers and your conflabbed iPads and simulcasts and speedsubs are spoiled rotten. Get off my lawn.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:56 pm

I believe we will get it in the fall or winter this year most likely. That is of course if the Kai Buu arc is already dubbed and releasing this spring.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 am

Flame Dragon wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Ugh, more Bills.
It's not like they have a reason to care to change it. From their point of view, they are just following Toei's instructions.
Blame them if anything else.
Is Toei really instructing distribution companies to use "Bills"? Seems they've used "Beers" on all their actual merchandise and whatnot, apart from that one-off 3DS cover.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:In fact, according to Dragon Ball Wiki, it's the opposite: His name appears in the original manga as Muten Roshi (武天老師). His name in English adaptations is a phonetic adaptation of that title: Master Roshi. The Japanese word roshi (老師) correlates to the Chinese word for "teacher" (lǎoshī) and Muten (武天) is made up of the characters for military/martial and heaven. Some fans find it humorous that this adaptation translates to "Master Old Teacher", or simply "Master Master".
"Phonetic adaptation" is a generous way of putting it. They apparently just despaired of translating Muten and replaced it with an English word that had several of the same letters and seemed applicable to the character. Besides being redundant, "Master Roshi" makes him sound like a guy named "Roshi", when of course "Roshi" is just a title. Funi does a similar thing with his sister; they treat "Baba" as if it were her name, when really it's just a Japanese word for an old woman (Uranai Baba="old fortune-telling woman").

To be fair, Muten Roushi is a bit tricky to translate properly; even Viz's "Invincible Old Master" is something of a stretch. As Toriyama says in DB Forever, it's just supposed to be " a name that sounds suitably renowned and powerful", and 武天/Muten isn't a preexisting kanji combination with an established meaning. I guess something like "Heavenly Martial Master" might work? But of course that's a quite a mouthful for guys trying to put a dub together.

Another odd thing about the Funi dub using "Master Roshi" as the character's name is that in Japanese he's actually not referred to as Muten Roushi all that often. About 90% of the time he's called Kame-sennin, the title the Funi dub (pretty accurately) translates as "Turtle Hermit". But in the dub, it's the other way around: he's almost always called "Master Roshi" and relatively seldom called "Turtle Hermit".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:22 am

I think Bills came from the internet and it's already popular among fans

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 am

TheGmGoken wrote:I think Bills came from the internet and it's already popular among fans
Bils probably originated from here actually ;)

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/29/ne ... e-of-gods/
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 am

Avenged wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I think Bills came from the internet and it's already popular among fans
Bils probably originated from here actually ;)

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/29/ne ... e-of-gods/
Kanzenshuu is the internet lol. Though I did say it's possible fans made it popular

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:48 am

Saiyanisland used Bils before Kanzenshuu.
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:Beerus is exclusive to the English version of Battle of Z.
Sure? And why would they do that?
They created this name themselves, rather than using one of the two official spellings already existing ("Bills" or "Beers").

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 am

If FUNimation dubs Battle of Gods, they will use Beerus. Especially since Chris Sabat pushed for it and he directs/is in charge of the English dub as of late.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 am

Bills/Beerus, Kuririn/Krillin, Saiyajin/Saiyan = storm in a teacup.

It's just another example of people within the fandom finding an excuse to embattle themselves into a quagmire over a small detail. The thing is, I'm pretty sure everyone on this board now knows about the origin of the name pun - and we also know that, when it comes to foreign language dubs, some localisation always takes place - it's a fact of life. Not every Japanese pronunciation is strictly preserved - this is nothing new, so why does it have to be so divisive and confrontational?

I mean, in the case of 'Beerus' romanisation, that's something that only really got settled upon quite late in the game. 'Bills', 'Beers' and 'Birus' have all been used interchangeably at various points from all matter of sources, official and unofficial - including Kanzenshuu. Given that background, I really don't see why people are now being so anal about it. Some people are getting genuinely angry when they see the name romanised as anything but 'Beerus' - when they themselves are guilty of romanising it in a different way at different point in time. It's frankly ridiculous.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

Do you still call the DBZ Movie 3 villain "Taurus"?

Should anyone?

The end! :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 am

On DB Wiki (not very trustworthy, though) the primary name is "Birusu" so it could be shortened for Birus which is what I use until Simmon/FUNimation's translation of BoG is released.

I just don't like "Beerus" as it reminds me of beers, and Birus doesn't.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 am

"Kibito" could be shortened to "Kibit" (and was, in fact, by Simmons for FUNimation's subtitle track, a change he wishes he didn't make).

"Kakarotto" could be shortened to "Kakarot/Kakarrot".

"Bideru" could be shortened to "Bider", or ya' know, just "Videl".

"Rikumu" could be shortened to "Rikum" or "Recoom" or "Recoome" or any other gazillion variations.

You can make all sorts of justifications for certain spellings. It's generally a matter of "do I actually know what I'm talking about?" and "does this actually make any sense?" and "am I just being stubborn about this?"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:Do you still call the DBZ Movie 3 villain "Taurus"?

Should anyone?

The end! :)
But that's really not the same. There's a difference between a poor, incorrect romanisation (and incorrect translation of the actual word no less) in a hackjob fansub being superseded by an official romanisation within the general fan lexicon, to multiple official spellings being given for the same character (and used interchangeably) both inside and outside of Japan.

'Bills' and 'Beers' have only ever been 'superseded' as the correct romanisations so much as people in the fandom have chosen to settle on 'Beerus' - just as Kanzenshuu did, having previously used different romanisations. Funimation choosing to adopt the latter, now that the full origin of the pun is publicly known, is their discretion. This isn't just a case of a bunch of staunchly opinionated fans choosing to go with 'Bills' or 'Beers', but also plenty of official productions that have been very competently translated.

But anyway, my point is that it should be a non-issue. It's a storm in a teacup, it doesn't matter. It should be a 'you go your way, I'll go mine' sort of thing, as opposed to being a confrontational debate with both sides flinging mud. Because, you know, it's worth remembering that the character's name hasn't actually changed on the damned script once whilst this debate has raged.
Last edited by Blade on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I just don't like "Beerus" as it reminds me of beers,
I don't like "Trunks" because it reminds me of swim trunks, but that's kind of the point so I guess we both have to live with it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Blade wrote:But anyway, my point is that it should be a non-issue. It's a storm in a teacup, it doesn't matter. It should be a 'you go your way, I'll go mine' sort of thing, as opposed to being a confrontational debate with both sides flinging mud. Because, you know, it's worth remembering that the character's name hasn't actually changed on the damned script once whilst this debate has raged.
I think it does matter and that people should argue about it if they want to. Maybe some people take it too seriously, but the level of invective used in this debate strikes me as peanuts compared to what regularly gets thrown around these forums in debates over DVD releases, dubs, music, character strength, etc. I really don't see any "storm" here at all.
Blade wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone on this board now knows about the origin of the name pun - and we also know that, when it comes to foreign language dubs, some localisation always takes place - it's a fact of life. Not every Japanese pronunciation is strictly preserved - this is nothing new, so why does it have to be so divisive and confrontational?
The whole point of the debate is over which sort of localization should be done and why; it's not a question of some localization versus no localization. "Birusu", "Birus", "Bills", "Beers", and "Beerus" are all simply different ways of localizing the name, after all. "Some localization always takes place" just strikes me as a weak sauce excuse for poorly done localization.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.