Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 am

You know, I watched the movie, greatly enjoyed the movie, and Beerus the villain...but at the ending, I'm actually kind of wondering one thing...

Was Beerus actually seriously when he said he was going to destroy the Earth? Even before Goku showed up to challenge him? I mean...obviously he said that he didn't have enough energy to destroy Earth after all was said and done, but that doesn't really make a ton of sense considering he really only ever used 70% of his power. And he also seemed to have a keen eye for heroism and righteousness and all that, which you wouldn't think he would have if he was wiping out planets the way King Kai said he was...

Which leads me to think...that perhaps all of that talk of "destroying the Earth" was just his way of trying to draw out the Super Saiyan God? Like, I don't know, maybe he though "what if Vegeta gets mad enough? And is about to be destroyed? Would that awaken his hidden powers?", or something like that. What do you all think?

EDIT: I mean, I dunno...I guess it's a stretch to say that he was lying the entire time...but, on the other hand, the guy really just doesn't seem like that much of a villain. I mean, he never seems to buck against the established order despite being stronger than all the other Kaio's, he's more than willing to admit that there are people who are stronger than him, he's extremely polite to everyone (except when angry of course)...and then there's the way nobody seems at all nervous about the prospect of him coming for Bulma's next party. Am I just crazy, or does it seem like my theory has some ground to it?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 am

That final scene where he was gonna destroy Earth I'm pretty sure was just a bluff to keep up appearances, as it where.
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 am

I think that he had originally intended on destroying the Earth, but after his fight with Goku and co., he was impressed enough to spare it. But he didn't want to say that outright, so he made up something about not having enough power left, just to keep up appearances. He is the big, bad God of Destruction, after all. I doubt he'd want to be seen sparing something.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:27 pm

I like the dialog between Vegeta and Beerus. Vegeta: I'll take great pride in the fact that it took lord beerus to kill me and Beerus: Indeed. If that's the way you'd like to rationalize your death then you shall die with your honor intact. I believe that's the way it went. I dunno...I just like that little conversation. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Fionordequester wrote:EDIT: I mean, I dunno...I guess it's a stretch to say that he was lying the entire time...but, on the other hand, the guy really just doesn't seem like that much of a villain. I mean, he never seems to buck against the established order despite being stronger than all the other Kaio's, he's more than willing to admit that there are people who are stronger than him, he's extremely polite to everyone (except when angry of course)...and then there's the way nobody seems at all nervous about the prospect of him coming for Bulma's next party. Am I just crazy, or does it seem like my theory has some ground to it?
The thing is, Beerus is part of the established order. He's a god just like Kaio and Kaioshin, with a job to do just like them. His job happens to involve destroying stuff, but he's not an evil guy who likes to kill or blow things up for shits and giggles, even if he does sometimes lose his head over little stuff like pudding or hide-and-seek. So yeah, he's not a traditional bad guy like Freeza or Cell. It's definitely an intentional new direction, something Toriyama did since he was unsatisfied with the original version of the character (a super-bad lizard guy who infects others with his evil). Even before the movie came out, Toriyama was talking about how Beerus was sort of lovable, despite being the antagonist.
CordonBloo wrote:That final scene where he was gonna destroy Earth I'm pretty sure was just a bluff to keep up appearances, as it where.
Yeah, while I guess it's a bit open to interpretation, to me the whole "out of power" bit is pretty clearly just an excuse. The performances in the Funi dub seem to go pretty strongly with this interpretation too, more so than even in the original.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 am

So this thread is huge, and I did a search on the word "map" and nothing like this question seemed to come up to I'll just make it now:

This is the official Daizenshuu map, isn't it?

Where do you guys think most of the fights in BoG took place? I believe Capsule Corp. is located in West Capitol, so that's one. But what about the last part where Beerus destroys that piece of rock declaring he had "destroyed" Earth, where everyone was looking at the big blast from the fight up in space? It seemed to have been a rocky wasteland, so I'm thinking the fight that started in Capsule Corp. got moved up north, and the fight in space took place above that rocky land north from West Capitol and south of Ginger Town.

What do you guys think?

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:36 am

Theron Martin over at Anime New Network posted a generally favorable review of the movie's English release.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 am

I think that map was translated into English by the Japanese. It uses some romanizations I've never seen anywhere else.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 am

Just saw the 7 minute dub clip on youtube and man is Bulma's new voice horrible, why did they change it? It's so much worse now.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 am

Bullza wrote:Just saw the 7 minute dub clip on youtube and man is Bulma's new voice horrible, why did they change it? It's so much worse now.
What's horrible about it?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 am

Her new voice is significantly better, in my opinion. Volmar was never very good at Bulma, from beginning to end. While Monica Rial started a little off, she slipped into the role wonderfully and I can't imagine anyone else as her.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

I for one think it's so much better. The funny thing is, though, I barely noticed it at first. I guess since I'm so far removed from the dub, I'd kinda forgotten about everything but Tsuru, and Monica Rial sounded so spot on compared to Vollmer that it made me forget I was watching the dub. There were a few moments (very, very few) that she sounded a bit nasally to me, but other than that, she practically just WAS Blooma.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 am

I don't mind Vollmer as Bulma at all, but Rial does a good job too. I was a bit worried when she first got cast - not acting wise, because she is an amazing actress - but she does tend to get cast as rather...'shrill' characters a lot, and I was worried that was the kind of voice we'd get out of her for Bulma. That turned out not to be the case at all thankfully though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I don't mind Vollmer as Bulma at all, but Rial does a good job too. I was a bit worried when she first got cast - not acting wise, because she is an amazing actress - but she does tend to get cast as rather...'shrill' characters a lot, and I was worried that was the kind of voice we'd get out of her for Bulma. That turned out not to be the case at all thankfully though.
I've had the pleasure of talking with her on Twitter on one or two occasions. She usually gets the high pitch roles due to having a naturally high pitch voice (A little bit lower than her May Cheng voice) but she has shown on multiple other roles that she has a very impressive voice range. Listen to her Mirai Bulma, Tsubaki (from Soul Eater), and Miya (from Sekirei).
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Well, I've only heard her in Curse of the Blood Rubies so far, but I have no problems with her voice as of yet. I understand that's a much younger Bulma, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Battle of Gods is going to be in theaters an extra day (tomorrow / Tuesday) thanks to fan support :)

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Is anyone else a little disturbed at how openly they wanted to be friends with Beerus at the end? I mean just because he saved your planet because you amused him doesn't make him not a psycho murderer. I guess they were just all scared and wanted him to leave.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm

funrush wrote:Is anyone else a little disturbed at how openly they wanted to be friends with Beerus at the end? I mean just because he saved your planet because you amused him doesn't make him not a psycho murderer. I guess they were just all scared and wanted him to leave.
He was the life of the party when he and Whis arrived. They obviously had abit of time to get to know him plus if I remember correctly Bulma introduces them as friends of Vegeta's or something along those lines.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 pm

funrush wrote:Is anyone else a little disturbed at how openly they wanted to be friends with Beerus at the end? I mean just because he saved your planet because you amused him doesn't make him not a psycho murderer. I guess they were just all scared and wanted him to leave.
But he's not a psycho murderer, he's the God of Destruction.

Destruction is as important as Creation in a universe. Stars die, and from their deaths rise new stars and worlds. Several of the more complicated elements we have on Earth come from the destruction of stars that had created them.

There can't just be Gods of Creation (ala the Kais). Nature has a way of balancing things out. Beerus is the personification of one of those aspects of nature.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Daimakku wrote:
Oh what the hell, I thought Goku's pod landed near Mount Paozu, not on the other side of the planet, the hell were you doing way out there Gohan?