Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Beerus-sama » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

sangofe wrote:
kei17 wrote:I wonder why they didn't use this shot.

Where did you find this?
Its a scene just before the battle start.

And I also wonder why they didn't used it, since I didn't like the one from the poster and this one looks so much better and fits with that scene in the movie.
MCDaveG wrote:One maybe in-universe question. What or who is Whis exactly? Is he part of the Kaioshin godly race apart from Makaioshin, or he is just a God being that doesn't have any origin, only to be Beerus' attendant?
He is what Kibito and Mr Popo are to Kami-sama and the Kaioshin.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 pm

I remember reading in an interview that Whis creates planets after Beerus destroys them, but I can't recall which interview it was.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:04 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I remember reading in an interview that Whis creates planets after Beerus destroys them, but I can't recall which interview it was.
The Kaioshin do that, not Whis.

Bottom of the page.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:09 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I remember reading in an interview that Whis creates planets after Beerus destroys them, but I can't recall which interview it was.
It was something FatNagger69 quoted about what was said about Battle of Gods in last year Jump Festa:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 60#p846528
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 am

TheRed259 wrote:I also had the same feeling while watching it. I hope that they won't do this again with the new movie.
DBZ Battle of Gods - Cropped?
'Feel' cropped or actually is cropped? I don't think there was any cropping done, it's simply framed that way. It helps add some weight and interesting perspectives.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:55 am

Beerus-sama wrote:
It was something FatNagger69 quoted about what was said about Battle of Gods in last year Jump Festa:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 60#p846528
I can't find what her source is, but I'm sure she has one.
As things currently stand, the Kaiōshin are the planet creators.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:I also had the same feeling while watching it. I hope that they won't do this again with the new movie.
DBZ Battle of Gods - Cropped?
'Feel' cropped or actually is cropped? I don't think there was any cropping done, it's simply framed that way. It helps add some weight and interesting perspectives.
I agree with Jacob because the frames look good however there is no knowing for certain unless other wise revealed.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Was just watching the movie again a couple of days ago, and a couple of things bothered me:

- Am I the only one that feels that the initial introduction of Beerus and Whis drags on for way too long? Between Whis walking through Beerus's palace to when the two finally take off for Kaio's, the whole sequence seems to drag on and on. I mean, there's some fun little exchanges throughout, but it feels like it moves so slowly and I always want to fast-forward through it. The music doesn't help either

- Something felt a bit off about Goku and Beerus's conversation above the city in the English dub. I don't know if it was the delivery or the writing, but some of Goku's lines feel like they come out of nowhere- if that makes any sense.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:00 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Was just watching the movie again a couple of days ago, and a couple of things bothered me:

- Am I the only one that feels that the initial introduction of Beerus and Whis drags on for way too long? Between Whis walking through Beerus's palace to when the two finally take off for Kaio's, the whole sequence seems to drag on and on. I mean, there's some fun little exchanges throughout, but it feels like it moves so slowly and I always want to fast-forward through it. The music doesn't help either
Can't say I agree with this. On a first watch, it was the perfect amount of exposition and characterisation needed for these big characters. If it was reduced, I feel like we'd lose quite a lot of the relationship between the two characters.

I can see why it might feel longer on a second viewing but I'd still say it's very necessary. They have to establish Beerus' character, his motive and the whole prophetic vision business otherwise we'd be left with the paper-thin stuff from the previous films.
- Something felt a bit off about Goku and Beerus's conversation above the city in the English dub. I don't know if it was the delivery or the writing, but some of Goku's lines feel like they come out of nowhere- if that makes any sense.
Agreed 100%. I said this right away when these scenes appeared prior to release, too. They're so awkward and hammy and poorly acted. I feel like from Goku's transformation up until the point they reach space, the acting goes out the window for a while.

Lots of lines squeezed into short amounts of time, strange delivery and awkward timings throughout. Definitely the weakest part of what is otherwise a very good dub.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:13 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Was just watching the movie again a couple of days ago, and a couple of things bothered me:

Can't say I agree with this. On a first watch, it was the perfect amount of exposition and characterisation needed for these big characters. If it was reduced, I feel like we'd lose quite a lot of the relationship between the two characters.

I can see why it might feel longer on a second viewing but I'd still say it's very necessary. They have to establish Beerus' character, his motive and the whole prophetic vision business otherwise we'd be left with the paper-thin stuff from the previous films.
Yeah, fair point. I understand that a lot of what we see in those initial scenes is necessary and it does lay a good foundation for the rest of the film. I just can't help but wonder if there was another way to execute it so that it's ever so slightly tighter, but doing so would result in a lot of the 'fleshing out' being lost. Hmm, I wanna say I would've preferred them to cross-cut between either the party scenes or maybe some of the early exposition at Kaio's, but I don't know if that would've flowed (heh, Flow) so well.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 am

This movie was great! Haven't seen the original version, but I thought the movie itself was good. I didn't think Goku vs. Beerus was underwhelming, either.

On an unrelated note, I have to say that Monica Rial has gotten worse as Bulma. Most of the rest of the cast improved, though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm glad Meredith McCoy returned as 18 even though it was one line.
Last edited by gohann on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 am

gohann wrote: On an unrelated note, I have to say that Monica Rial has gotten worse as Bulma. Most of the rest of the cast improved, though.
I thought she did a fine job. What about her performance didn't you like? How has she gotten worse?

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:17 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
gohann wrote: On an unrelated note, I have to say that Monica Rial has gotten worse as Bulma. Most of the rest of the cast improved, though.
I thought she did a fine job. What about her performance didn't you like? How has she gotten worse?
She now sounds too silly, over-the-top, and obnoxious. I thought she was great before the Cell saga.
Last edited by gohann on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:18 am

gohann wrote:
She now sounds too silly, over-the-top, and obnoxious. I thought she was great before the Buu saga.
I think that was intentional though. They seemed to be going for her being tipsy/drunk from all of the wine she was drinking.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:21 am

gohann wrote: She now sounds too silly, over-the-top, and obnoxious. I thought she was great before the Buu saga.
I think that was intentional though. They seemed to be going for her being tipsy/drunk from all of the wine she was drinking.
Precisely. That's the point. Even her Japanese counterpart was played exactly the same.

She is trashed. Flirting with Beerus and then hitting him?! She is off her face.

This should be very obvious considering she's holding a wine glass half the time.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 am

Even in the final scene with Goku copying "My Bulma!", she was still grating to hear, though.
Last edited by gohann on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldLiger
Banned

Post by GoldLiger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Sorry for being a bother but can anyone give me an official reason of why Shenron in the Battle of Gods movie only grants 1 wish instead of 3 wishes like it was stated in the manga?
Dragon Ball Heroes God Mission = Best sets of missions so far

Super Saiyan 4 Gohan FTW!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:25 pm

GoldLiger wrote:Sorry for being a bother but can anyone give me an official reason of why Shenron in the Battle of Gods movie only grants 1 wish instead of 3 wishes like it was stated in the manga?
There isn't an official reason.

My personal explanation was that he didn't actually grant a wish at all: he just answered questions and provided information out of deference to Beerus, and got his ass the eff outta there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GoldLiger
Banned

Post by GoldLiger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
GoldLiger wrote:Sorry for being a bother but can anyone give me an official reason of why Shenron in the Battle of Gods movie only grants 1 wish instead of 3 wishes like it was stated in the manga?
There isn't an official reason.

My personal explanation was that he didn't actually grant a wish at all: he just answered questions and provided information out of deference to Beerus, and got his ass the eff outta there.
Except in Pilaf's case didn't he wish for youth from the Dragon prior to BoG? Plus he stated that wealth was his next wish. Why would he just state to get wealth only when Shenron is supposed to grant 3 wishes?
Dragon Ball Heroes God Mission = Best sets of missions so far

Super Saiyan 4 Gohan FTW!!