Least favorite parts in the series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Least favorite parts in the series

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 pm

It can come from DB/Z/GT, but I don't want everyone to choose parts from GT.
Anyways, my least favorite part in the series is the Colonel Silver portion of the Red Ribbon arc. Colonel Silver is extremely dull compared to the other colonels in the Red Ribbon Army. It does not feel entertaining at all. Seeing how Dragon Ball's main purpose is to entertain you, it's kind of bad if it doesn't suceed at doing that.

Kurillin-Sama
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:09 pm

The entire Buu saga or maybe the Garlic Junior saga.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Kurillin-Sama wrote:The entire Buu saga
Everything that happened in the damn saga can be summed up in 5 words... Kaioshin is a fucking idiot.

But seriously the worst part is SSJ Goku vs. Freeza (anime-only), it's still pretty dragged out in the manga however it's near-unwatchable in the original anime when you watch it the second time.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:The entire Buu saga
Everything that happened in the damn saga can be summed up in 5 words... Kaioshin is a fucking idiot.[/quote]I ... I don't see how that's true at all.

Anyway, in the Z anime, definitely the mid-Namek arc, around the time the Ginyu squad arrives through the fight with Freeza. It drags like a motherfuck, ruining scenes I quite enjoy in the manga.

In the manga, probably the android/Cell arc as a whole. It just isn't a whole lot of fun, though I struggle to pick a part in the series I truly loathe. I just enjoy this storyline less than the others.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Saiga » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 pm

In the anime: Ginyu Force filler, Freeza vs Goku anime version, Garlic Jr Arc, any Master Roshi filler, aaaaand the majority of GT.

In the manga: Piccolo/the humans bullshit Saiyan Arc power up, Piccolo's bullshit Android Arc power up (though it might not be as bad as I was lead to believe...), and Gohan getting shafted in the Boo saga.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:15 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by sonikku956 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Saiga wrote:In the anime: Ginyu Force filler, Freeza vs Goku anime version, Garlic Jr Arc, any Master Roshi filler, aaaaand the majority of GT.

In the manga: Piccolo/the humans bullshit Saiyan Arc power up, Piccolo's bullshit Android Arc power up (though it might not be as bad as I was lead to believe...), and Gohan getting shafted in the Boo saga.
How is the power up for the humans bullshit?

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 am

sonikku956 wrote:
Saiga wrote:In the anime: Ginyu Force filler, Freeza vs Goku anime version, Garlic Jr Arc, any Master Roshi filler, aaaaand the majority of GT.

In the manga: Piccolo/the humans bullshit Saiyan Arc power up, Piccolo's bullshit Android Arc power up (though it might not be as bad as I was lead to believe...), and Gohan getting shafted in the Boo saga.
How is the power up for the humans bullshit?
Because of how strong they got in such a short time with training that wasn't that spectacular.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Codarik
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Snake Way

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Codarik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 am

Any part that makes a plothole.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 am

Pretty much most of the namek ark.

User avatar
MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by MisguidedGhost » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 am

I always hated watching Vegeta let Cell become perfect. Even for Vegeta, it just seemed so damn stupid and contrived.

User avatar
Travis Touchdown
Regular
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 am

I hated the Garlic Jr. Saga. My main distaste for it stems from Piccolo and Krillin savagely beating Gohan just to get the jar that had Kami in it. Piccolo justifies this by saying it was only to get close enough to Garlic to grab said jar, but there were plenty of opportunities where he could've grabbed it and stopped the beating. Never had I wished Goku would swoop in and save the day more than that.

I also hated how the spirits of past guardians literally brought Kami within an inch of his life for no reason. Kami was trying to do his part to save the world and thus fulfill his duties as present guardian, but the past ones were seemingly on Garlic's payroll until they realized they were being a bunch of idiots.

I also really didn't like Goku's way of stopping Gohan from rushing off to fight Cell and save Piccolo and Tien. Goku should have been able to subdue Gohan without punching him square in the nose. Hell, Goku eventually just teleports there and back, which left me wondering why he just didn't do that in the first place.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4509
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 am

I found most of the Red Ribbon Arc kinda boring. The Goku vs. Tao Pai Pai is the best part of that arc though.

Bits and pieces from the Cell and Buu Arc.....

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 am

Garlick Jr. Saga, hands down, no doubt.
It was HORRIBLE! I don't even know how I managed to get by all that filler when I watched it for the first time, it was just...no.
I also didn't like much of the Buu arc, and maybe parts of the Namek arc in the anime, it seemed like it never ended.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:52 am

Cipher wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:The entire Buu sagaEverything that happened in the damn saga can be summed up in 5 words... Kaioshin is a fucking idiot.
I ... I don't see how that's true at all.
His 'plan' to stop Buu was counter-productive, it was to let Spopovich and Yamu steal a retarded amount of energy so they can revive Buu. Without him to fuck around, Buu would have never been resurrected or at least severely delayed from hatching. His 'plan' opens up many plotholes:

A) He or Kibito could have just used Instantaneous Transmission to find Babidi and stop him.

B) Letting Gohan destroying Spopovich and Yamu instead of letting him get his energy absorbed would have made Buu so much weaker.

C) If they let Goku on with the 'plan', he would have tracked Babidi down with Instantaneous Transmission to stop him himself.

D) The Z-Senshi could have sensed Spopovich and Yamu's Battle Power when they were hiding out and just destroy them.

The guy is a supreme god that lived for eions, you'd think for someone of that tier who lived for so long would have thought up a better plan and the funniest thing is that he was made out to be some cool and mysterious fellow only to reveal that he's someone weak and not-so-mysterious).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

C) If they let Goku on with the 'plan', he would have tracked Babidi down with Instantaneous Transmission to stop him himself.
I highly doubt Goku would have stopped him, you know how Goku is with challenges. The stronger, the better.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 am

Also, he can't do that. He doesn't know Babidi's ki.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:His 'plan' to stop Buu was counter-productive, it was to let Spopovich and Yamu steal a retarded amount of energy so they can revive Buu. Without him to fuck around, Buu would have never been resurrected or at least severely delayed from hatching. His 'plan' opens up many plotholes:

A) He or Kibito could have just used Instantaneous Transmission to find Babidi and stop him.

B) Letting Gohan destroying Spopovich and Yamu instead of letting him get his energy absorbed would have made Buu so much weaker.

C) If they let Goku on with the 'plan', he would have tracked Babidi down with Instantaneous Transmission to stop him himself.

D) The Z-Senshi could have sensed Spopovich and Yamu's Battle Power when they were hiding out and just destroy them.

The guy is a supreme god that lived for eions, you'd think for someone of that tier who lived for so long would have thought up a better plan and the funniest thing is that he was made out to be some cool and mysterious fellow only to reveal that he's someone weak and not-so-mysterious).
I think it's just that Kaioushin was explicitly stated to be the youngest of the Kaioushin, therefore probably the most inexperienced. Even Kaiou calls him a "kid". The other three Kaioushin - who must've all been older, wiser and stronger than him - may not have had time to teach him the ropes before they were killed by Boo. We don't call Trunks stupid for not knowing about the speed drawbacks of Super Saiyan Grade III before he actually fought Cell; he too was just young, inexperienced and didn't think things through.

Kibito went along with it and didn't seem to question it, but it's not as if he can do anything or has any authority (despite looking older and wiser) even if he did think there was a better way; he's just the god's assistant.

Also, that's probably due to Toriyama's bad writing, since Kibito's Kai Kai was only introduced when Kaioushin brought up the plan to bring Gohan to the Kaioushin Realm, and Toriyama must've figured that he had no other way to get them there but teleportation.
PhoenixEX wrote:
C) If they let Goku on with the 'plan', he would have tracked Babidi down with Instantaneous Transmission to stop him himself.
I highly doubt Goku would have stopped him, you know how Goku is with challenges. The stronger, the better.
I don't know, Gokuu seemed just as adamant as the others about stopping Boo, and was eager to "easily" defeat Dabra so they could turn Piccolo and Kuririn back to normal. Gokuu didn't even want to fight Vegeta and preferred that they'd leave it until after they sorted out the whole crisis, but he knew he wouldn't budge, so he had to fight him.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P8.1-4, P9.4
Context: as Goku and Vegeta are about to fight
Goku: “I don’t wanna take any damage from you and have it become Majin Boo’s energy…So I’m gonna end this quickly, at maximum power.”
Vegeta: “I’m looking forward to this…Show me the fruits of your training in the afterlife. *Goku transforms into Super Saiyan 2* Just as I’d expect. Your power is greater than Gohan’s was back then!”
*Vegeta transforms into a Super Saiyan 2 as well*
Goku: “This don’t look like it’s gonna end quickly…”
I don't know whether or not this is out-of-character for Gokuu, but he guess he finally realized just how dangerous this new enemy could be, if even the Kaioushin was scared of him...aaaaand then he went and did a 180 by deliberately holding back against Fat Boo in SS3 and refusing his Potara.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 am

And we don't even know if Kai Kai can take somebody somewhere if they don't know where the hell they're going.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 am

Saiga wrote:And we don't even know if Kai Kai can take somebody somewhere if they don't know where the hell they're going.
If not, couldn't they just sense Bobbodi, Dabra, Spopovich and/or Yamu's ki, and then guide Kibito there when he uses Kai Kai?

Anyway, I believe that Kaioushin and/or Kibito mentioned that they'd searched that area before, but Bobbodi's spaceship remained undiscovered because it was hidden underground. So they'd know where the area is.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Least favorite parts in the series

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: If not, couldn't they just sense Bobbodi, Dabra, Spopovich and/or Yamu's ki, and then guide Kibito there when he uses Kai Kai?

Anyway, I believe that Kaioushin and/or Kibito mentioned that they'd searched that area before, but Bobbodi's spaceship remained undiscovered because it was hidden underground. So they'd know where the area is.
Not if their ki was being hidden, which I believe must have been the case. Other wise, they'd have found the spaceship long ago by just flying around and sensing for their ki, wouldn't they?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Post Reply