Most useless character ever!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Re: Most useless character ever!

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 am

Wow MCDaveG, I think you should dial it down a notch...

As for uselessness, yeah I agree with Chaozu. He never even won a single fight, he didn't even help anyone at all. At best he was a hindrance. But I guess he helped Tenshinhan grow as a character. No hatred from me though. At some point, every character serves some purpose.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Goku neglected his friends and family for 5 years to train that village runt but he amounts to nothing. He makes Yamcha look respectable and that's saying something.
Isn't this about characters that are useless to the story?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 am

matt0044 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Goku neglected his friends and family for 5 years to train that village runt but he amounts to nothing. He makes Yamcha look respectable and that's saying something.
Isn't this about characters that are useless to the story?
That was meant for Uub not Goku. Sorry, I worded it oddly.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 am

Pu-erh. Even in his first appearance, his role could be summed up in two words: Yamcha’s cheerleader. At least Chaozu is useful in that he keeps Tenshinhan from a one-dimensional battle addict, and Yamcha is repeatedly used as a plot device to show the strengths of other characters, hyped-up opponents such as Tenshinhan and God.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Yamcha is repeatedly used as a plot device to show the strengths of other characters, hyped-up opponents such as Tenshinhan and God.
Yeah, he's more crash test figurine more than a warrior :lol: But I like him :)
And Puer stopped Ozaru Goku from killing the main cast.

Chaozu juggled with balls...... :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, he did rig the match-ups in the prelims of the 23rd Budoukai, without which there's a possibility that the finals could have been really boring! Maybe...
He also rigged things at the 22nd Budoukai, and those specific match-ups were important in leading Tenshinhan to turning good. Gokuu vs Tenshinhan probably would have been the finals no matter what, but the Jackie Chun fight was an important stepping stone, and there's no guarantee it could have still taken place (since Gokuu likely could have beaten Jackie this time, and maybe Kuririn too).
penguintruth wrote:Everyone knows that Gyuumao is the most useless.
Without him, Gokuu wouldn't have reunited with Kamesennin. Which means no learning Kamehameha. Even if they got that Dragon Ball another way (or there was no fire in the first place), Kamehameha was what led to the shapeshifters escaping the castle and preventing Pilaf from taking over the world. Neither Gokuu nor Yamcha were strong enough to break the wall with their fists.

If they somehow survived all that (maybe Pilaf was happy enough to let them go free), Gokuu would probably just sit around until the Dragon Balls reactivated (either at his own home or in the city with the others). There would be no Kamesennin training, no Kuririn, and no Lunch (who saved everyone that one time!). There would probably be no Tenkaichi Budoukai unless Yamcha brought it up, but it would be pretty boring and pointless with a weaker Gokuu, and no Kuririn or Jackie.

And if Pilaf's reign didn't prevent it entirely, Gokuu would be a lot weaker going against the Red Ribbon Army. Blue could probably beat him (especially without Kuririn and Lunch's help), and Taopaipai definitely could.

But he's also Chichi's father. Unless there was another girl in the story with the exact same role and personality, Gokuu would never get married and have kids. The circumstances of their engagement were pretty unique.
-Rachel

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Yamcha is repeatedly used as a plot device to show the strengths of other characters, hyped-up opponents such as Tenshinhan and God.
Yeah, he's more crash test figurine more than a warrior :lol: But I like him :)
And Puer stopped Ozaru Goku from killing the main cast.

Chaozu juggled with balls...... :lol:
Yeah, but other than that, he didn't really do much of worth. As I said, at least Chaozu gave Tenshinhan an extra dimension to his character, to keep him from being nothing more than a battle-obsessed drone. It's too bad Toriyama didn't utilize him well enough in his own right, evidenced by the fact that he just tossed him out of the battle with Nappa mere pages after it'd begun with a cheap self-destruct that didn't even work.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm

At least Yamcha beat noteworthy someone (the invisible man)
Jord doesn't have a avatar because the combination of Jord and a equally cool avatar would cause the universe to implode.

Rockette

Post by Rockette » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

As far as usefulness, Goten didn't do anything in the series other than motivate Gohan. I love the kid, but even as an adult he doesn't contribute much. Kid Trunks was pretty eh too. But I'm going to have to agree with Piccolo Daimao and say Puar.

The thing about topics like this is that everything in Dragon Ball has a butterfly effect.
A one hour workout is only 4% of your day. No excuses.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Rockette wrote:As far as usefulness, Goten didn't do anything in the series other than motivate Gohan. I love the kid, but even as an adult he doesn't contribute much. Kid Trunks was pretty eh too.
Motivate Gohan? Anyway, kid Trunks was the main reason Vegeta became good and later redeemed himself in the eyes of Porunga.

And both Goten and Trunks were one half of Gotenks respectively, although they went and fucked that up. If anything, like Vegeta, they made things worse by not breaking out Super Saiyan 3 from the off and defeating Boo in the RoSaT, rather than fucking around for twenty-five minutes, which led to Piccolo destroying the RoSaT, which led to Boo screaming his way out and killing everyone at the Palace, which led to Piccolo and Gotenks wasting time trying to scream their way out, until Gotenks actually said, "Herp derp, time to use Super Saiyan 3 now!"

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Red Ribbon Army Sol dier #5. That guy never did anything.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Is it even fair to mention gag or tertiary characters?

Let's talk about someone who's a main cast member for the majority of the series and still ends up being amazingly inconsequential.

Yamcha. Taps ass and loses fights. In many ways, his flying cat is a more memorable and recognizable character than he is.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 am

Videl. She had no point other than being a love interest for Gohan. She easily could have been written out of the story. Following the Team Four Star jokes, I have her worth less then Raditz and Yamcha
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:57 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Definitely Chiaotzu. Has he actually done ANYTHING of worth?
Didn't he sacrifice himself to try and kill Nappa? I think if a character does something like that, it makes them pretty honorable... even if it wasn't successful.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 am

Kiwi. Did he do ANYTHING besides get killed by Vegeta?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Videl. She had no point other than being a love interest for Gohan. She easily could have been written out of the story. Following the Team Four Star jokes, I have her worth less then Raditz and Yamcha
Well, she was the reason that Gohan (and subsequently, Vegeta, Gokuu, etc.) entered the tournament, but you could argue that the story didn't need her to do that, and it could've easily been replaced with Gokuu choosing to fight in the tournament unprompted on his one living day, and Gohan and co. following suit.

But I guess she did give birth to Pan. People like Pan, right?
Zephyr wrote:Kiwi. Did he do ANYTHING besides get killed by Vegeta?
Apart from in filler (I think he was shown destroying a planet or something), no. But at least he served as a rival for Vegeta before Gokuu, and was kind of the first instance to show how strong Vegeta had become, if he was able to effortlessly beat the person who was once his equal.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

Cipher wrote:Is it even fair to mention gag or tertiary characters?
Are you saying that Red Ribbon Soldier #5 wasn't crucial to the story? Have you never visited Temple O' RRS#5? His army of fans number more than the stars in the heavens.

Love that guy.

*cough*

Anyway... Pu'ar is useless in terms of DragonBall being a fighting series, but he was introduced when it was a comedy series, so it's not really fair. The manga outgrew Pu-ur.

Oh course, getting rid of Puhwar and Chaozu would rid us of two of the most annoying-to-spell character names, which would be handy. Although maybe everyone would just swich over to C'el and Pahn.

pjay
Beyond Newbie

Post by pjay » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am

Zephyr wrote:Kiwi. Did he do ANYTHING besides get killed by Vegeta?
He made for some ok fireworks.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 am

LiamKav wrote:Anyway... Pu'ar is useless in terms of DragonBall being a fighting series, but he was introduced when it was a comedy series, so it's not really fair. The manga outgrew Pu-ur.
Except, even when it was a comedy series, he didn't do much of any worth. He mainly existed as Yamcha's cheerleader.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:41 am

Didn't Chiaotzu help defeat one of the ginyu force members, took down one of the cell jr, and even help hold back Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed) long enough before goku got here ?