Is this Dragon Ball Z? (Jetpack Joyride)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Is this Dragon Ball Z? (Jetpack Joyride)

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 am

Okay I'm playing a game on my ipad called jetpack joyride
I went to the shop to buy stuff and look what I find
Is this a scouter?
My charector
Is this DBZ or am I going blind?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is this Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 am

It's most certainly a homage to DBZ, the hair, outfit and specs are unmistakably based off Super Saiyan, Goku's gi and the scouter..
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 am

Yeah it is, it's really nice seeing homages in stuff here and there. Just shows how popular the series is.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:10 pm

So why are the developers not getting in trouble over this?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Because they're clearly homages and not directly infringing on any specific trademarks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kurillin-Sama

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Because they're clearly homages and not directly infringing on any specific trademarks.
How does that work exactly. Couldn't those people making the live action Saiyan saga movie say it's an homage?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Kurillin-Sama wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Because they're clearly homages and not directly infringing on any specific trademarks.
How does that work exactly. Couldn't those people making the live action Saiyan saga movie say it's an homage?
Not if they use trademarks like "Dragon Ball" and "Krillin" and "Vegeta" and "Saiyan". That goes beyond homage and parody.

Edit: Well, to be fair, you could use them and still be considered parody, right? Man, it can get complicated.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am

I remember one of my friend's wrestling games had Super Saiyan hair too and if I remember correctly a very Gokuesque outfit. Someone should compile a list of DBZ references in video games.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 am

Remind you guys of some special dragon?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 am

Sort of? But to be honest, Shenlong looks like a lot of generic eastern style dragons:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:30 am

Bussani wrote:
Edit: Well, to be fair, you could use them and still be considered parody, right? Man, it can get complicated.
If your not making a profit off from it or have obtained the rights for said-parody, then yes it can still be called a parody.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 am

Gonstead wrote:
Bussani wrote:
If your not making a profit off from it or have obtained the rights for said-parody, then yes it can still be called a parody.
Well its a free game but, I had to buy coins to get it.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:54 am

DHM211 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Well its a free game but, I had to buy coins to get it.
Even in cases where if something may look similar to something else but is not referred to in name that is the same as the latter, it's still not really much of a problem.

This is more or less the main reason why Hasbro and Takara are lenient to 3rd party companies who produce their own transforming action figures but don't directly profit off of any official trademarks.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

[SP]
Not-So-Newbie

Post by [SP] » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:20 am

I recall playing this, and decided to pick this up again,
and noticed they referenced the "over 9000!" meme twice..
First is the price, the Powered up hair was a price of 9001 coins, and the description of the item is
We are not really sure what the power level of this hair is. It is probably a lot.
Goku's gi or the "Super Suit" reads;
Be ready for the World Martial Arts Tournament in this bright orange super suit.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Is this Dragon Ball Z? (Jetpack Joyride)

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Gonstead wrote:If your not making a profit off from it or have obtained the rights for said-parody, then yes it can still be called a parody.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Weird Al gets permission from artists merely as a formality, he has no legal reason to do so.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Gonstead wrote:If your not making a profit off from it or have obtained the rights for said-parody, then yes it can still be called a parody.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Weird Al gets permission from artists merely as a formality, he has no legal reason to do so.
Actually he does need to. His parodies are still covered under producing a cover of an already existing song, especially if he's making money off of them.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 pm

No, he does not need to. He's stated on many an occasion that he's not required to obtain their permission, but does so of his own accord. For instance:
Weird Al wrote:My parodies have always fallen under what the courts call “fair use,” and this one was no different, legally allowing me to record and release it without permission. But it has always been my personal policy to get the consent of the original artist before including my parodies on any album, so of course I will respect Gaga’s wishes. However, given the circumstances, I have no problem with allowing people to hear it online, because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time.
Having been in the business for so many years with so many artists, companies, and lawyers involved, I trust the guy's word beyond my own understanding of the law.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:44 pm

*knocks head*

And that's the knowledge I possessed concerning copyright and parodies gone right down the pipes.

pachinkotrunks

Post by pachinkotrunks » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 am

Codarik wrote:Yeah it is, it's really nice seeing homages in stuff here and there. Just shows how popular the series is.
You say that but these people make money off of other people's work. They should've been shut down when they started Pocky Ninja which was blatantly Naruto... One Piece also was ripped off by them in another game. Wish I could make money off of stealing.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 am

pachinkotrunks wrote:
Codarik wrote:Yeah it is, it's really nice seeing homages in stuff here and there. Just shows how popular the series is.
You say that but these people make money off of other people's work. They should've been shut down when they started Pocky Ninja which was blatantly Naruto... One Piece also was ripped off by them in another game. Wish I could make money off of stealing.
This game is free.