Why didn't the Orange Bricks look like this

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Why didn't the Orange Bricks look like this

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 pm

The quality of the screenshot ain't the best but it's just a sample of Steve Franko's DBZ remaster if they/he didn't decide to crop the hell out of it to 16x9.

Maybe they were trying to make Dragon Ball Z seem like a new series but by doing so they screwed up the PQ although the casual audience doesn't really give a rats ass about the mediocre PQ, so it's all right by them.

PQ = Picture Quality

And they used the wrong opening on the bricks, I think.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't the Orange Bricks look like this

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:32 am

Even if they made the blu rays like this, I'd be so happy! This transfer looks great! And I don't mind the damaged film at all.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 am

I... what?

What. What?

What are these screen shots from? What happened to the transfer?

Someone with answers say things!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 am

Kendamu wrote:I... what?

What. What?

What are these screen shots from? What happened to the transfer?

Someone with answers say things!
On the Blu-ray level sets, there's a seven-minute video explaining the remastering process. Part of it shows the film scan before any type of cleaning-up is done. These are from that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:10 am

So, before it was cleaned up, it didn't look horrible?

I always suspected, but I never knew for sure.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 am

Wait, so all that "glue damage" that forced them to crop it to 16:9 was a complete lie? I can't say I'm surprised, but shit, man.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53 am

johnboy1 wrote:Wait, so all that "glue damage" that forced them to crop it to 16:9 was a complete lie? I can't say I'm surprised, but shit, man.
Welcome to our analysis from 2007 :).

The line for apologies, groveling, and unwavering future dedication to anything and everything Kanzenshuu begins over there. Sorry, but the bathroom is currently out of order. You'll just have to pee in your pants while you wait.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:47 am

VegettoEX wrote:Welcome to our analysis from 2007 :).

The line for apologies, groveling, and unwavering future dedication to anything and everything Kanzenshuu begins over there. Sorry, but the bathroom is currently out of order. You'll just have to pee in your pants while you wait.
*looks around website*

Where was this debunked exactly? I can't find it in any of the features or reviews.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 am

johnboy1 wrote:*looks around website*

Where was this debunked exactly? I can't find it in any of the features or reviews.
Well, everything about the sets as a whole -- I can't remember what/where we talked specifically about the glue as justification for cropping (though I know we talked a lot about NTSC safe zones). A bit in our big feature leading up to the Dragon Boxes, and primarily on our podcast review of the first orange brick (I wasn't doing formal written reviews at the time).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Damn. Those look awesome. Reminds me of watching the original television broadcast of the show back in the day. Golden memories for me.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Even if they made the blu rays like this, I'd be so happy! This transfer looks great! And I don't mind the damaged film at all.
If they were to bring up the Levels back up again, they should do like a Combo Pack, or a separate Blu-ray and DVD release for both fans (BD / DVD).

In case we had this the Dragon Boxes wouldn't be such a big deal.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm kind of disappointed with the 'Dragon Box' transfers, and I agree, the above screenshots look awesome. They haven't been totally boosted, but the colors are nice and bright compared to the faded Dragon Box release.

I did this little comparison between the Orange Bricks and the Dragon Box, its sort of relevant to this thread, as it would be great to get a slightly better 4:3 option on either DVD or Blu-Ray.

Orange Brick 1:
Dragon Box 1:
Original DVD 1:

Orange Brick 2:
Dragon Box 2:
Original DVD 2:

Orange Brick 3:
Dragon Box 3:
Original DVD 3:

Orange Brick 4
Dragon Box 4:

Original DVD 4:
Last edited by LordCrumb on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Those orange brick shots look way too dark and oversaturated to me. That being said, I do vastly prefer the Blu-ray colors.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Those orange brick shots look way too dark and oversaturated to me. That being said, I do vastly prefer the Blu-ray colors.
It's pretty dark all right. Dunno why, maybe FUNimation thought it'd be "cool" to make it darker and oversaturate it.

Oh Lordy, reminds me of those YouTube DB uploaders that screw up the colours of the videos to supposedly make it look better.. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Those orange brick shots look way too dark and oversaturated to me. That being said, I do vastly prefer the Blu-ray colors.
It's pretty dark all right. Dunno why, maybe FUNimation thought it'd be "cool" to make it darker and oversaturate it.
Dont forget funimation was working with shitty masters (with a lot of crushed blacks) so its natural after being saturated it would be a lot darker then its supposed to be.
I'm not defending the orange bricks!!!!!!!!
Last edited by DHM211 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[SP]
Not-So-Newbie

Post by [SP] » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 pm

...[facepalm]

FUNimation, by showing how good the actual film masters were, you dug yourself further into the terrible lie that is the Orange Brick Faux remaster.

This shows that the 16:9 aspect ratio is not to stop errors, but just trying to get into the "new" standard of widescreen television, and I don't even know why they saturated the colours either, they look good on the transfer itself!

Well, I still own Season 1 of the Orange Bricks, and enjoy it as a budget solution to watch the series, so it has, at least that going for its sales.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

DHM211 wrote: Dont forget funimation was working with shitty masters (with a lot of crushed blacks) so its natural after being saturated it would be a lot darker then its supposed to be.
I'm not defending the orange bricks!!!!!!!!
Umm... With the OBs, FUNi was working with film masters. Film doesn't have 'crushed blacks,' although nth generation film can be unnaturally dark. No, the crushed blacks were from FUNi purposely turning the contrast dial up too high.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 am

[SP] wrote:...[facepalm]

FUNimation, by showing how good the actual film masters were, you dug yourself further into the terrible lie that is the Orange Brick Faux remaster.
You could say that (not that everyone who cared didn't already know), but because this is all an extra on the Blu-Rays, I could see a casual fan who had picked them up as thinking that "Steve's transfer" was used only on these sets.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Could someone get Blu Ray (episode) caps of these? I want to see how different the "Steve's Transfer" is compared to the finish product.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Damn those are sexy, and the finished product is not-so-sexy. :|
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.